Top U.S. Presidents

Originally posted by nycflasher
Lying about a blowjob?
BFD.

Carter has done more towards the cause of Peace in the Middle East than many.

Plus, he founded Habitat. Maybe they include his post-presidency.

When will Demos get it? It wasn't about the blow job, it was the fact that he lied, continued to lie and drug the country through the mud all because he didn't have the balls to fess up at the beginning. Says a lot and clouds his judgement on everything else during his 8 years, doesn't it?

Carter totally fucked this country up economically, that is why he gets zero respect from anyone.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
whats so Ironic about those choices is that both of them operated completely within the framework of the constitution, never wavering. Sad that a president who follows the law to the letter places dead last in the list of great presidents.

As I posted earlier DK. Honesty and respect for the laws is the death of any politician. Unless of course you lie about a private sexual relationship.

The best presidents to me were Reagan, Washington, Jefferson, Nixon and Truman.

I don't believe that there are any good presidents that didn't overstep the bounds of the constitution or other laws in their roles. Nor am I silly enough to think that good presidents didn't make mistakes. Certainly Reagan, my hero of heros, did.

But the totality of what they did for this country has to be mentioned and given its due.

Washington did create the model of government that is one of the world's best- who cares if it's just because he was smart enough to rely on the right people.

Jefferson, well, hey...he wrote parts of the constitution and he still violated it in the Louisiana Purchse (amongst other acts).

Reagan to me was the quintissential best president. He was just a great man and a great leader. He gave us something no other president did (to my knowledge since I didn't live centuries ago). It's called teamwork.

As far as Nixon...yes, he had skeletons and his place in history will be forever scarred but he was a great president until then- his dealing with Vietnam conflict at home, space program, etc. He certainly propelled the country forward.

Truman...A bomb...what more can I say- tough choices, tough times.

Now, if the question had been which presidents were the best men...speaking about human qualities not achievements...these would be different. Reagan still tops my list however. I think he was the best person ever.

My list:

1. Abraham Lincoln: Managed to keep the Union strong despite being unable for nearly four years to find a competent General in the ranks. Also very effective at neutralizing the Radical Republicans.

2. George Washington: The only man capable of holding the nation together in it's infancy. Set many good precedents.

3. Theodore Roosevelt: Was first to really understand the power of the presidency and how to use the media.

4. Andrew Jackson: The first modern president. I hate him for his Native American policies, but a consummate politician, leader and brilliant strategist both militarily and politically.

5. Franklin D. Roosevelt: Kept the nation's hopes alive during the Depression and WWII. He literally worked himself to death as President.

Honorable mentions: Woodrow Wilson, Lyndon B. Johnson, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison.

Okay here's my list of the Five worst Presidents:

1. Richard Nixon - Disgraced the presidency, biggest crook in the history of American politics

2. James Buchanan: Sat on his butt while nation headed for civil war.

3. Warren Harding: Scandals ranging from fraud to outright theft in his cabinet. Nice house - nobody home.

4. Ulysses S. Grant - Another one who had no clue how to choose friends. General Grant was a brilliant military leader but a lousy president.

5. James Polk: Only president until perhaps Bush II to commit fraud to start a war.

Dishonorable mentions: Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter (you asked for effectiveness)

acludem

Forum List

Back