Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

sometimes when I am sitting at a red light. It will usually run fine during my first trip of the day. It will then get sputtery/jerky randomly when I am driving. The odd thing is sometimes it feels like I pick up speed when I am rolling to a stop as if it has a burst of extra fuel. I am doing the plugs and wires if for no other reason than I am about 15K over recommended change. If and when that doesn't fix it, I will try cleaning the MAF sensor if I can find the spray locally.

That timing code is strange, but those timing sensors do go bad often & will kill the engine.

I think your big problem is a vacuum leak or MAP sensor. When you hit your brake the vacuum is used to power them. So as soon as you hit the brake the mix goes lean, then vacuum builds back & mix goes rich as you hold down the brake & the car slows.

If you have a bad vacuum leak it will get the fuel mix far out & cause false O2 sensor codes. Lots of people replace O2 sensors, but only one time have I heard it actually fixed the problem.

Yeah this is probably going to require a garage. Do you know how hard/expensive it is to find a vacuum leak? I only have one car so this could be a PITA so I need to find out if I need to rent one. The odd thing is that I can sputter like crazy and the check engine light never comes on but I can be cruising along smooth as silk and it will randomly come on and then go off.

I would change the MAP sensor as it's only about $20 & if it also has an expensive MAF sensor I would clean that. Look around for cracked vacuum lines. This is all fast & cheap.

If it has a plastic intake manifold & the above does not fix it, then take it in & let the mechanic earn his pay.

For all of my yard equipment I buy nothing but non Ethanol Gasoline as it destroys the Carbs.
Who sells non ethanol gas? .. :cool:

We have several places that sell it out in the country. It's higher, but since I've gone that route my yard equipment is running much better.

Isn't that why people are supposed to put fuel stabilizer in their small engines (not that I actually do unless I get a free sample)

Yeah this is probably going to require a garage. Do you know how hard/expensive it is to find a vacuum leak?
My son's car recently had a vacuum leak. He could hear the slight hissing sound but never could find the source. So he paid a mechanic $50 to put a colored dye into the air lines and run the car. This identified which line was bad and it was replaced. .. :cool:

Last edited:
For all of my yard equipment I buy nothing but non Ethanol Gasoline as it destroys the Carbs.
Who sells non ethanol gas? .. :cool:

Still thousands of sources -- this list is kept pretty up to date. There's another unrelated site for around Louisiana/Mississippi which is not handy right now...

I ran only ethanol-free gas in my Saturn SW2, ever since I found that E10 caused the mileage to tank (pun intended) by 15-20% or even more -- meaning I was burning more oil (aside from the ethanol) using 90% gas than I was using the pure stuff.

We have several sources here in the sticks. Generally it's likely to be found in places that cater to, or serve a community of, boaters, farmers or bikers.

And keep in mind there are a handful of states that still valiantly protect the consumer from the evils of information by not requiring the pump to disclose it's got ethanol in it, so you can't go by the absence of that label -- in those states. Listed on this page.

This state used to be one of them but recently got on board and now requires it. :thup: But at this point a station selling E-free knows it's a selling point and will advertise it as such (and jack up the price).

Forum List

Back