"Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence"

munkle

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2012
(google Time "Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence" )

Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence

By Maia Szalavitz

When people consider the connections between drugs and violence, what typically comes to mind are illegal drugs like crack cocaine. However, certain medications — most notably, some antidepressants like Prozac — have also been linked to increase risk for violent, even homicidal behavior.

A new study from the Institute for Safe Medication Practices published in the journal PloS One and based on data from the FDA’s Adverse Event Reporting System has identified 31 drugs that are disproportionately linked with reports of violent behavior towards others. (

Please note that this does not necessarily mean that these drugs cause violent behavior. For example, in the case of opioid pain medications like Oxycontin, people with a prior history of violent behavior may seek drugs in order to sustain an addiction, which they support via predatory crime. In the case of antipsychotics, the drugs may be given in an attempt to reduce violence by people suffering from schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders — so the drugs here might not be causing violence, but could be linked with it because they’re used to try to stop it.

Nonetheless, when one particular drug in a class of nonaddictive drugs used to treat the same problem stands out, that suggests caution: unless the drug is being used to treat radically different groups of people, that drug may actually be the problem. Researchers calculated a ratio of risk for each drug compared to the others in the database, adjusting for various relevant factors that could create misleading comparisons. Here are the top ten offenders:

10. Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) An antidepressant which affects both serotonin and noradrenaline, this drug is 7.9 times more likely to be associated with violence than other drugs.

9. Venlafaxine (Effexor) A drug related to Pristiq in the same class of antidepressants, both are also used to treat anxiety disorders. Effexor is 8.3 times more likely than other drugs to be related to violent behavior. (More on Time.com: Adderall May Not Make You Smarter, But It Makes You Think You Are)

8. Fluvoxamine (Luvox) An antidepressant that affects serotonin (SSRI), Luvox is 8.4 times more likely than other medications to be linked with violence

7. Triazolam (Halcion) A benzodiazepine which can be addictive, used to treat insomnia. Halcion is 8.7 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs, according to the study.

6) Atomoxetine (Strattera) Used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Strattera affects the neurotransmitter noradrenaline and is 9 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to the average medication.

5) Mefoquine (Lariam) A treatment for malaria, Lariam has long been linked with reports of bizarre behavior. It is 9.5 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs.

4) Amphetamines: (Various) Amphetamines are used to treat ADHD and affect the brain’s dopamine and noradrenaline systems. They are 9.6 times more likely to be linked to violence, compared to other drugs.

3) Paroxetine (Paxil) An SSRI antidepressant, Paxil is also linked with more severe withdrawal symptoms and a greater risk of birth defects compared to other medications in that class. It is 10.3 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs. (More on Time.com: Healthland’s Guide to Life 2011)

2) Fluoxetine (Prozac) The first well-known SSRI antidepressant, Prozac is 10.9 times more likely to be linked with violence in comparison with other medications.

1) Varenicline (Chantix) The anti-smoking medication Chantix affects the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which helps reduce craving for smoking. Unfortunately, it’s 18 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs — by comparison, that number for Xyban is 3.9 and just 1.9 for nicotine replacement. Because Chantix is slightly superior in terms of quit rates in comparison to other drugs, it shouldn’t necessarily be ruled out as an option for those trying to quit, however....MORE (google "Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence" )

My ex had our youngest put on ritalin. Made the kid a zombie.
So on my weekend visits, I'd snitch his dope. Sure he was bouncing off the walls but he was happy.

I was happy too. I'd grind up the rit and snort it. Never killed anyone either. :D

Fallen hero in war against illegal drugs...
:eek:
Sheriff Murdered in W.Va. Town Had Cracked Down on Drugs
April 4, 2013 - Just months before being gunned down, Sheriff Eugene Crum made good on a campaign promise to do what many in law enforcement have attempted for years in southern West Virginia -- crack down on drugs, especially the illegal sale of prescription pills.
In three months and two days on the job, he'd already helped indict dozens of suspected drug dealers through Mingo County's new Operation Zero Tolerance. Authorities haven't said whether that crusade was related to his shooting death at mid-day on a Williamson street Wednesday, but residents and county officials suspect it. Crum's team has targeted people "who spread the disease of addiction among our residents," said County Commission President John Mark Hubbard. Resident Jerry Cline stood near the site of the slaying hours later, the drug crackdown clearly at the forefront of his thoughts. "He told them right before he got in as sheriff, `If you're dealing drugs, I'm coming after you. I'm cleaning this town up,'" Cline said. "... He got out just to do one thing, and that's to clean this town up. That's all that man tried to do."

aaa3_560.jpg

This undated photo shows Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum, who was gunned down Wednesday, April 3, 2013 in the spot where he usually parked and ate lunch in Williamson, W.Va.

Authorities were mum on any motive and the connection between Crum and their suspect, 37-year-old Tennis Melvin Maynard, and did not announce what charges he would face. A Mingo deputy shot and wounded Maynard after a chase and after the suspect pulled a weapon, state police said. At a news conference hours after the killing, officials mourned the fallen sheriff, but State Police Capt. David Nelson and others released few details on what happened blocks away from the county courthouse in the small town or later with the suspect. "We were and we are proud of him and his service," Hubbard said. "To say Eugene will be missed is a vast understatement." A bouquet of red roses with a red ribbon was fastened to a guardrail above the parking lot where the shooting happened.

Though there is no indication of any connection, Crum's killing comes on the heels of a Texas district attorney and his wife being shot to death in their home over the weekend, and just weeks after Colorado's corrections director also was gunned down at his home. Those bold killings and others have led authorities to propose more protection for law enforcers. Crum was killed in the same place where he parked his car most days to eat lunch, near the site of a former pharmacy known for illegally distributing pills, a "pill mill" the sheriff wanted to be sure remained shut, said Delegate Harry Keith White, who campaigned with Crum last year. "I think anybody you ask would tell you he was a great guy, always with a positive attitude, always trying to help people," White said. "It's just a sad, sad day for Mingo County and the state of West Virginia." Operation Zero Tolerance was Crum's way to make good on a campaign pledge, White said.

More Sheriff Murdered in W.Va. Town Had Cracked Down on Drugs | CNS News

See also:

Border security key in Texas DA slayings
4/3/13 - 'Drug cartels are very, very active in our country now'
Texas Gov. Rick Perry on Wednesday raised the issue of border security in regard to the recent murders of two state prosecutors. When asked about the possible involvement of the Aryan Brotherhood in the killings, the Republican governor said it is too early to speculate about who was behind the killings, but added that it also wouldn’t be wise to overlook any angle.

“We know the drug cartels are very, very active in our country now. It goes back … to the whole issue of border security and the failure of the federal government to put the men and women, whether they are military or whether they’re border patrol or whether working with the local law enforcement, expend the dollars necessary to secure the border with Mexico,” Perry said on Fox News.

“That’s of great concern. I would suggest to you, it is really at the heart of this issue. You secure the border, then it makes it harder for these individuals to have access into this country as well as it addresses this whole issue that’s hanging out on immigration,” the three-term governor added.

The Aryan Brotherhood is an influential white supremacist group that deals in murder, extortion and drug trafficking. There have been rumors that the group was involved in the March 30 murders of Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland and his wife Cynthia, as well as the Jan. 31 murder of another Kaufman County prosecutor, Mark Hasse. Authorities are currently investigating any connections.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...ity-texas-da-murders-89596.html#ixzz2PZAh7ktP

Last edited:
My ex had our youngest put on ritalin. Made the kid a zombie.
So on my weekend visits, I'd snitch his dope. Sure he was bouncing off the walls but he was happy.

I was happy too. I'd grind up the rit and snort it. Never killed anyone either. :D

That sounds very white trashy which amuses me as you were openly expressing racism against blacks in a braindead pro-gun thread.

Leaving alcohol off the list was rather boneheaded.

FWIW, I cannot take Chantrix because of its propensity to make people violent.

Which sucks because it is a very effective drug to wean one off nicotine addiction.

Forum List

Back