Top Republicans: Palin may have stopped making sense, but she can still make dollars

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
Top Republicans: Palin may have stopped making sense, but she can still make dollars

WASHINGTON - Sarah Palin is pretty much toast for 2012, but she can still make a lot of money for herself and the party, top Republicans said Sunday.

Still, they expressed shock that the Alaska governor and failed veep hopeful is giving up power.

"It's astounding," said Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa), whose state holds the first presidential caucuses in the nation.

"I would think, if you want to run for President - and I'm not sure that's got anything to do with what she's doing - that the forum of a governorship would be a better forum than just being a private citizen," he said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

"She marches to the beat of her own drum, and it's going to be very interesting to see how she pulls this off," said Karl Rove, the former White House political guru.

Stepping down "hurts" Palin politically because it leaves her more open to attack, he told "Fox News Sunday."

Previously, she could have brushed off criticism by saying, "'I've got a job to do as governor,'" Rove said. Not now.

Palin's stunning announcement Friday that she was resigning to pursue a "higher calling" confounded many of her strongest supporters.

GOP strategists say they are still eager to use Palin in raising funds for state races.

"She is an important and galvanizing voice in the Republican Party. I believe she will be very helpful to the party this year as we wage critical campaigns in Virginia and New Jersey," said Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Alaska Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell, who will finish Palin's final 18 months in office, said she quit because of the "weight on her" from a flurry of ethics probes.

Meanwhile, Palin's lawyer, Thomas Van Flein, issued a statement denying what he called "false and defamatory" claims on the Internet and elsewhere that claim she is resigning because of an alleged probe into the construction of a sports complex in her hometown of Wasilla.

"We are not aware of any 'federal investigation,'" he said.

so now she will be used and cast aside? on it goes....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back