Top Republican: Scrap 'buy American' stimulus clause

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
WASHINGTON (AFP) — The US Senate should strip a "Buy American" clause from President Barack Obama's economic stimulus plan, the chamber's top Republican said Monday amid anger at the restriction from US allies.
"I don't think we ought to use a measure that is supposed to be timely, temporary, and targeted to set off trade wars when the entire world is experiencing a downturn in the economy," said Senator Mitch McConnell.
Asked whether he would support trying to strip the measure from what is now roughly an 888-billion-dollar economic stimulus package, the Republican minority leader told reporters: "I think it's a bad idea to put it in a bill like this, which is supposed to be about jump starting the economy, yes."

AFP: Top Republican: Scrap 'buy American' stimulus clause

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The US Senate should strip a "Buy American" clause from President Barack Obama's economic stimulus plan, the chamber's top Republican said Monday amid anger at the restriction from US allies.
"I don't think we ought to use a measure that is supposed to be timely, temporary, and targeted to set off trade wars when the entire world is experiencing a downturn in the economy," said Senator Mitch McConnell.
Asked whether he would support trying to strip the measure from what is now roughly an 888-billion-dollar economic stimulus package, the Republican minority leader told reporters: "I think it's a bad idea to put it in a bill like this, which is supposed to be about jump starting the economy, yes."

I sure hope this means our military can now purchase the less expensive AirBus transport aircraft instead of the "Made in America" Boeing version?

Both points are valid.

Is it a good idea to have a 'buy American' clause - and the trade war that is likely to ignite - while we're tanking in a recession? No.

Should we be encouraging the country to 'buy American'? You bet your fat ass we should.

Sometimes, it's not about left vs right. It's about smart economics. Sadly, partisans prefer left vs right to smart economics. Such is life.

I sure hope this means our military can now purchase the less expensive AirBus transport aircraft instead of the "Made in America" Boeing version?

Yes now you can use U.S. taxpayer money to put Frenchmen to work.

Both points are valid.

Is it a good idea to have a 'buy American' clause - and the trade war that is likely to ignite - while we're tanking in a recession? No.

Should we be encouraging the country to 'buy American'? You bet your fat ass we should.

Sometimes, it's not about left vs right. It's about smart economics. Sadly, partisans prefer left vs right to smart economics. Such is life.

Trade war? good ! War is the one fucking thing we are good at...this peace is kicking our ass.

More trade war less war with bullets.

Both points are valid.

No it should always be about what is the smart thing to do for the majority of Americans.

Your party jsut hates the smart thing and the smart people becuase they get in the way of your party deliving to the Wealthy people who support them what they want.

Excellent! I am tired of using coupons and doing price comparisons at home only to have my government buy the most expensive things out there.

It has been almost 4 years and now you plan on buying American....

Idiots..............

Besides, AirBus had plans to manufacture the new military aircraft in a new factory in Alabama, which in case you hadn't heard is a deeply red state. Imagine all of the jobs that could have been created there.

Besides, AirBus had plans to manufacture the new military aircraft in a new factory in Alabama, which in case you hadn't heard is a deeply red state. Imagine all of the jobs that could have been created there.

Or is this all part of that military industrial complex that Romney doesn't want hurt by the bipartisan across the board tax cuts that are coming?

Forum List

Back