Top Repub says okay to raise taxes to pay down debt

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wiseacre, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I'm okay with this; some might say he's flip flopping, but times and conditions change and so should the positions our leaders take when necessary. I would differ somewhat though with what he's saying in that I would not raise taxes until the economy gets stronger. I would reform our tax code but make it revenue neutral until such time as GDP growth is sustained above a certain benchmark, say 3.5%.

" As a conservative Republican, Lindsey Graham has never had a problem promising not to raise taxes. Like almost every other Republican member of Congress, he has signed the anti-tax pledge put forth by Grover Norquist's group Americans for Tax Reform.
    But now Graham says the debt crisis is so severe that the tax pledge — which says no tax loopholes can be eliminated unless every dollar raised by closing loopholes goes to tax cuts -- has got to go.
    "When you eliminate a deduction, it's okay with me to use some of that money to get us out of debt. That's where I disagree with the pledge," said Graham.
    The Americans for Tax Reform pledge commits signers to "oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax rates for individuals and/or businesses … and oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates."
    Graham said eliminating some deductions should free up money to lower tax rates — but also to pay down U.S. debt. "

Top conservative says read my lips: Don

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    they will just throw him out of the party.

Ths current republican party wants No taxes raised EVER.

They seek the death of our union by starvation

3. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,258
    I disagree with him, obviously.

A better plan would be to reduce the spending of the Federal government by 50% while leaving taxes at the present level and use the difference to pay down the debt.

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Oh.. I am sure we can raise taxes.. there are ~50% who pay no federal income taxes

5. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Who says if they receive more reveneue, they will not simply waste it? We didnt get 16 trillion in the hole because of prudent fiscal responsibility. Quite the contrary. They have enough money, learn how to budget and quit making excuses for why you can't continue to the grow the bureaucracy. Fucking statists. They will be the first hung when the next revolt is in full swing.

6. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    What is it about the phrase "raise taxes" that gives you such a hard on?

7. g5000

g5000 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,525
    Economists on both sides of the political spectrum agree that we are in need of tax reform. We have a profoundly ridiculous number of exemptions, credits, subsidies, carve outs, etc.

If you eliminate these, you can lower the marginal tax rates while remaining revenue neutral.

We should seriously consider eliminating the mortgage interest rate deduction, for example. This deduction is factored into the price of a house. So a phased elimination of this deduction will lower the cost of housing as well as lower and widen the tax base.

As for Graham, yeah, he said last week he had "already crossed the Rubicon" on the tax pledge thing.

He won't be the last. Grover Norquist's days are numbered.

8. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Most Republicans would go along with "tax increases to pay down the debt". but we are sensible. And demand no new spending programs along with current spending cuts. that is the only way to make sure that tax increases go to pay down the debt, and not to benefit the aggrieved class du jour.

9. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    Problem is that a raise in taxes would not go to paying down the debt. The fucking incompetent morons in Washington would find some bullshit project or program to spend the money for and the debt would continue to rise.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Pho_King

Pho_King BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    The fact that higher taxes means mo free shit.