Top Programs too pussy to play Boise State

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
No incentive for BCS conference teams to play Boise State | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

The story is starting to get some national attention as ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman has begun tweeting about it and a conversation he had with Benson. Feldman is characterizing the teams that refused the offer as "elite programs."

No one is naming names, but here are some teams that have openings in 2011, according to nationalchamps.net: Michigan, Oklahoma, Arizona, Texas A&M, Alabama (though the Crimson Tide plays at Penn State in 2011), Texas, Oklahoma State

Among the teams whose schedules are full for 2011: UCLA, Penn State, Tennessee, Florida, USC

This is part of the problem with the BCS. The easiest way to get into the BCS for big-conference teams is to win games. And it doesn’t matter who you play in your non-conference games.

So why would you risk a loss by scheduling a team like Boise State? Look at what a loss to the Broncos has done to Oregon. If the Ducks had played Portland State in their season opener, Oregon would likely be ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the country at this point.

The article mentions that Florida's non-conference games that year are Charleston Southern and Troy. Troy is 7-3 so far this year, which is as good or better than any team on Boise State's schedule this year except Oregon.

The article mentions that Florida's non-conference games that year are Charleston Southern and Troy. Troy is 7-3 so far this year, which is as good or better than any team on Boise State's schedule this year except Oregon.

They weren't really calling out Florida were they? I think they mentioned they didn't have an opening in their schedule.

They weren't really calling out Florida were they? I think they mentioned they didn't have an opening in their schedule.

Yeah, they sorta were. The point of mentioning that was to say Florida plays creampuffs for their non-conference games.

Yeah, they sorta were. The point of mentioning that was to say Florida plays creampuffs for their non-conference games.

but Troy isn't as good as Boise State and they beat a team that would probably be ranked number 2 right now if they had not lost to BSU.

but Troy isn't as good as Boise State and they beat a team that would probably be ranked number 2 right now if they had not lost to BSU.

Sure. I agree on both counts. That being said, it's not like the other teams are taking a weak road out. Boise plays a weaker schedule than any of the teams ranked above them.

which is probably the reason why they are trying to play top programs. They said they don't even want them to come play in Boise, they will go there but no team will take them up on their offer. Why is that? :)

Why would these teams want to play Boise State? It does nothing for THEIR program. If, for instance, Boise State did play Florida, and Florida won, experts would respond with, "Big deal. It's Boise State." If Boise State won, Florida would never hear the end of it. It's a lose-lose situation.

It's the same reason the Razorbacks will never play Arkansas State. We have absolutely nothing to gain from that game. If we win, it's just another mark in the win column, and it proves nothing. If we lose, not only does it hurt our record for that year, but it hurts our recruiting power for the limited number of decent players that come out of the state of Arkansas.

In short, whine less. Boise State is a creampuff team. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to start looking at moving into a real conference. Troy is trying to get into the Big East, because they have dominated the Sunbelt for years. Boise State should consider a similar move.

some in Boise want them to move to a new conference and last time I checked cream puff teams dont beat programs like Oregon.

some in Boise want them to move to a new conference and last time I checked cream puff teams dont beat programs like Oregon.

I wasn't aware Oregon is one of the elite teams. I mean, sure, they've done well the past couple of years. But they're no LSU, Florida, Texas, USC, or Oklahoma. Plus, Oregon lost to Stanford last week.

Its a Classic Catch 22

Unless you play top 10 teams you can't get a BCS Bowl

Top 10 teams won't schedule you if you are good enough to be considered for the BCS

Anyone need more evidence we need playoffs?

Its a Classic Catch 22

Unless you play top 10 teams you can't get a BCS Bowl

Top 10 teams won't schedule you if you are good enough to be considered for the BCS

Anyone need more evidence we need playoffs?

pretty much! Boise State is a prime example why they need playoffs!

Forum List

Back