Top Priorities

What Issues Should the President Focus On While Others Can Wait?

• Economy and jobs

Votes: 41 80.4%
  • Healthcare Reform

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Cap & Trade

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Free Trade Agreements/Relations with other countries

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Energy Security

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Education Reform

• Student Loan Reform

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Hurrican Preparedness

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Environmental Protection

• Other (I'll explain in my posts)

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Contributing to his falling approval numbers, President Obama is increasingly critized for focusing on issues not important to the American people and failing to hone in on what they do consider important. The President continues to stress that this or that is top priority, but even CBS News is now questioning how many 'top priorities' a President can have.

"Creating jobs in the United States and ensuring a return to sustainable economic growth is the top priority for my Administration," he said in an Executive Order last March on his National Export Initiative. . . . .

. . .In an Address to the Nation two months ago, Mr. Obama declared "our top priority is to recover and rebuild from a recession that has touched the lives of nearly every American.". . . .

And in addition to bail outs and stimulus packages and healthcare legislation , Wall Street Regulation and cap & trade all of which have been made 'top priorities', there has also been:

FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS: "...that's something that's going to be a top priority." (4/27/10)

ENERGY SECURITY: "And that's why my energy security plan has been one of the top priorities of my Administration since the day I took office." (4/28/10)

EDUCATION REFORM: "To train our workers for the jobs of tomorrow, we've made education reform a top priority in this Administration." (2/24/10)

STUDENT LOAN REFORM: "This is something that I've made a top priority." (2/1/10)

EXPORTS BY SMALL BUSINESSES: "This is going to be a top priority." (12/3/09)

HEALTH ASSISTANCE TO 9/11 FIRST RESPONDERS: "I'm not just talking the talk, we've been budgeting this as a top priority for this Administration." (2/3/10)

END HOMELESSNESS AMONG VETERANS: "I've also directed (Veterans Affairs) Secretary Shinseki to focus on a top priority: reducing homeless among veterans." (8/17/09)

HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS: "Our top priority is ensuring the public safety. That means appropriate sheltering in place or if necessary, getting as many people as possible out of harm's way prior to landfall." (5/29/09)

H1N1 FLU VACCINATIONS: "And throughout this process, my top priority has been the health and the safety of the American people." (5/1/09)

SUPPORT FOR MILITARY FAMILIES: "These military families are heroes too. And they are a top priority of Michelle and me. And they will always have our support." (5/30/09)

STRENGTHENING TIES WITH CANADA AND MEXICO: "We're going to make this a top priority..." (10/16/09)

CONSUMER PROTECTION: "During these challenging times, the needs of American consumers are a top priority of my Administration." (2/11/09)

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION: "So this is going to be a top priority generally improving our environmental quality." (11/5/09)

How Many "Top Priority" Issues Does Obama Have? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

So how many priorities can be 'top priority'?

How many issues should be 'top priority' and what can wait?

I agree with Lonestar because if the GOP DOES sweep the House, along with making gains in the Center, it will be because people put them there for the specific purpose of focusing on the economy, tax structures, business climate, and jobs.

Obama needs to ignore the republicans and do what he thinks is right. He allowed both the Stimulus bill and healthcare to be watered down with sections meant to appease Republicans who will not support it anyway.

Time to take off the gloves and press through your agenda

spittake.gif

When Repubs take over I hope their priority is jobs jobs jobs followed by supeona power. Those DUmb demonRats need some destroying just like the Palins, and Libbey, and Delay were subjected to.

Other, Interesting the the Issue that is in the top 3 in every single poll in America is not even on your list.

Deficits and Debt.

Gotta have Jobs before you can fix debt or deficits. and you have to stop spending. that's why it's most important to kick those Rats to the curb.

Obama needs to ignore the republicans and do what he thinks is right. He allowed both the Stimulus bill and healthcare to be watered down with sections meant to appease Republicans who will not support it anyway.

Sounds lovely.

I thought he wanted to get rid of all the Partisan in Politics?

Yeah, press through your agenda, sounds what the people want..

And the Stimulus and Bailouts all for nothing.. Double Dip here we come.

Other, Interesting the the Issue that is in the top 3 in every single poll in America is not even on your list.

Deficits and Debt.

Gotta have Jobs before you can fix debt or deficits. and you have to stop spending. that's why it's most important to kick those Rats to the curb.

If you continue to add to the Debt to Create Jobs you are simply putting off an even worse situation for a little while. Deficits and Debt are the Number 1 Issue IMO and in the latest poll on RCP about 29% of Americans agreed with me. Second only to Jobs.

To focus on Jobs and Ignore the enormous Deficits and over all Debt we face, is to Ignore part of the reason we are having trouble with Jobs to begin with. You are treating the symptoms and ignoring the problem.

Last edited:

Yes...That would be sooooooo "post partisan"! :rolleyes:

Time to take the gloves off and press through your agenda? WTF do you think they have been doing? Pushing through their agenda regardless of the will of the people. WHERE THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN.

He wasn't involved in either enough to influence them one way or the other. He has given Congress a totally free rein, has demanded nothing, has stuck up for not a single major principle, and continues to water down his own message with all these 'top priority' issues. He has not vetoed a single issue except one pocket veto of H.R. Res. 64 (he simply didn't sign it) because everything in it was already included in a much larger $600+ appropriations bill that he did sign.

The jury is still out whether the man is simply ineffective and incompetent or whether he is just appeasing Congress while he continues to work off the radar to move more and more power to the Executive branch.

Not even Democrats in Congress seem to believe him when he lists his priorities these days.

Deficits and Debt.

If you continue to add to the Debt to Create Jobs you are simply putting off an even worse situation for a little while. Deficits and Debt are the Number 1 Issue IMO and in the latest poll on RCP about 29% of Americans agreed with me. Second only to Jobs.

To focus on Jobs and Ignore the enormous Deficits and over all Debt we face, is to Ignore part of the reason we are having trouble with Jobs to begin with. You are treating the symptoms and ignoring the problem.

Why would you have to add to the debt to create jobs? Short answer is, you don't.

Because this President has proven to us that he has absolutely no leadership skills and doesn't have a clue as to what he's doing, his top priority should be to sit back on his ass and not continue to fuck up the country until he can be voted out of office.

Deficits and Debt.

Well Charles honey, if 29% agree with you who do the other 71% agree with?

He wasn't involved in either enough to influence them one way or the other. He has given Congress a totally free rein, has demanded nothing, has stuck up for not a single major principle, and continues to water down his own message with all these 'top priority' issues. He has not vetoed a single issue except one pocket veto of H.R. Res. 64 (he simply didn't sign it) because everything in it was already included in a much larger $600+ appropriations bill that he did sign.

The jury is still out whether the man is simply ineffective and incompetent or whether he is just appeasing Congress while he continues to work off the radar to move more and more power to the Executive branch.

Not even Democrats in Congress seem to believe him when he lists his priorities these days.

great points.

if you were a house democrat, how could you not be at least a little pissed at barry?

he tells nancy and harry, you guys write the stimulus/healthcare bills, make your members take extremely difficult votes and then i'm going to take the credit.

it's a small thing, but i always find it amusing when he says, "my policies" got us out of the ditch. a tad narcissistic? it's great. everything that's bad is bush's fault, and everything that's good is HIS policy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back