Top Modern President.

It will have long term, long reaching consequences. As much as I'm not a fan of Reagan, he would not have invaded Iraq.

This is the truth. Blowing up over 200 marines in Lebanon was as much a provocation as any.

Reagan balked.
LMAO!

Lebanon was a PEACE KEEPING MISSION.......We were there trying to keep the peace.....There was no government whatsoever to get behind......There were no Allies to get behind us.......Bottom line, there was no need for further spilled american blood......Reagan was right!.........And if you need something to compare it too.......SOMALIA!.......William Jethro's greatest fiasco.....Well, at least as near great a fiasco as the many dead innocent AMERICAN children at WACO!

Loony liberal revisionist history is fuckin' laughable.:lol::cuckoo:

No matter who the most popular was, Barry obamalamadingdong Soetoro will go down in history as the worst. In fact he's already clinched the title.

It will have long term, long reaching consequences. As much as I'm not a fan of Reagan, he would not have invaded Iraq.

This is the truth. Blowing up over 200 marines in Lebanon was as much a provocation as any.

Reagan balked.

Bull shit Reagan balked. I just happened to have been in the Air Force at the time, and we just happened to deploy a squadron of F-16's to Lebanon as a show of force.

I sure the hell don't call that "BALKING."

Get a fucking clue dog beater.

And it is impossible to have a supported, logical answer that would ever show justification for any good rating.... but it does not stop leftist hyper-partisans from trying

Well, he wasn't all bad....
1. He landed the Camp David Accords.
2. He left office with a lower unemployment rate and deficit than when he took office.
3. He started a long chain of deregulatory efforts including air transportation, trucking, railroads and oil production.
3. He appointed a Fed chair with the cajones to squeeze stagflation out of the economy.

Year Inflation Unemployment (1)
-------------------------------
1961 1.0% 6.7%
1962 1.0 5.6
1963 1.3 5.6
1964 1.3 5.2
1965 1.6 4.5 < Vietnam war spending increases
1966 2.9 3.8
1967 3.1 3.8
1968 4.2 3.5
1969 5.5 3.5
1970 5.7 5.0
1971 4.4 6.0
1972 3.2 5.6
1973 6.2 4.9
1974 11.0 5.6 < First oil crisis
1975 9.1 8.5
1976 5.8 7.7
1977 6.5 7.1
1978 7.6 6.1
1979 11.3 5.9 < Second oil crisis
1980 13.5 7.2
1981 10.3 7.6
1982 6.2 9.7
1983 3.2 9.6
1984 4.3 7.5
Carter ruined the economy; Reagan saved it

When Carter took office in January of 1977, interest rates were 6.25% When he left office four years later they were 20.00%

Remember the Iran hostage situation? Remember the botched rescue attempt?

Remember the long lines at the gas pump?

He was a weak president with foreign affairs.

This is just off the top of my head....I'm sure there are pages more of his shortcomings

Yup - Carter sucked on foreign affairs. His domestic plans were good but they could not overcome his sissified foreign policy. Carters grain embargo destroyed the US farmers & put them on major subsidies. This opened up Brazil to massive farming & "Rain Forest' destruction. Now Brazil permanently competes against & hurts the US farmer. Carter screwed up with the Shaw of Iran so we have ongoing Iran problems & caused Iraq problems later.

Here's the Big Surprise: Carter and Clinton "The most noticeable change in this year's survey is the rise of Bill Clinton and fall of Jimmy Carter," says Bruce Drake at Politics Daily:

How did Carter slip? What did he do to get off the bottom?
```````````

JFK is no surprise, liberals think more highly of him than conservatives think of Reagan.
Kinda funny though, he was
A war hawk
Spent big on defense
Cheated on his wife
His money came from rum running.

All things libs hate or accuse others of doing.

Reagan balked.

Bull shit Reagan balked. I just happened to have been in the Air Force at the time, and we just happened to deploy a squadron of F-16's to Lebanon as a show of force.

Bottom line is no President would have gone to war with Iraq the way Bush Jr. did.

Reagan is the worst even though it is almost an accident he managed to screw up the nation so badly. He tried but was too senile at the end. Any positive statistic for the nation as a whole has declined since Reagan - the proof is in the pudding.

Bush Jr is almost too incompetent to be the worst, but he sure screwed up when his own people abandoned him - single exception is the rich. Palin is even dumber so if America grows much dumber we may have a new low.

"....there's a growing realization that the starting point for many of the catastrophes confronting the United States today can be traced to Reagan's presidency. There's also a grudging reassessment that the "failed"- presidents of the 1970s--Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter--may deserve more credit for trying to grapple with the problems that now beset the country." OpEdNews - Article: Ronald Reagan: Worst President Ever?

"Since 1982, the Siena Research Institute has polled presidential scholars on whom they view to be best and worst presidents in American history, based on a variety of issues from &#8220;integrity&#8221; to economic stewardship. This year&#8217;s poll of 238 scholars found that President Franklin Roosevelt was once again ranked on top, joined by Presidents Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, and Teddy Roosevelt to complete the top five. However, President George W. Bush did not fare well since the last poll was conducted in 2002. He dropped 16 places to 39th, making him the worst president since Warren Harding died in office in 1923, and one of the bottom five of all time, according to the experts:

"Today, just one year after leaving office, the former president has found himself in the bottom five at 39th rated especially poorly in handling the economy, communication, ability to compromise, foreign policy accomplishments and intelligence. Rounding out the bottom five are four presidents that have held that dubious distinction each time the survey has been conducted: Andrew Johnson, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, and Franklin Pierce." 238 presidential scholars: Bush worst president of modern era, fifth worst in US history | Raw Story

Last edited:
The inflation of the 1970s was primarily due to government policy in the 1960s and early 70s, just like the inflation of the 2020s will be due to what we are doing now. Carter's responses were inept but he didn't create the inflation. You can thank LBJ and Nixon for that.

Also, one of course would expect conservative cheerleaders who have deified Reagan to give him all the credit for the growth in the 80s, growth which was, mind you, about average for the post-war period. And Reagan deserves some credit. He deregulated swaths of the economy, flattened the tax code, and increased free trade. However, it was Paul Volcker who broke the back of inflation. He was the reason why interest rates went to 20%, and he was the reason why the policies of the Fed - not Reagan - crushed inflation, which laid the foundation for the next 20 years of growth. FTR Reagan fired Volcker and hired Greenspan, replacing the best Fed chairman ever with perhaps the worst.

Reagan balked.

Reagan used intimidation.

Remeber Khadafis "Line of death"? Reagan parked a fleet inside that line, when the "Line of death" was pulled back, we crossed it again.

We also did "Surgical removal of terrorist encompments". We found out where the lived then bomed it off the planet.

It was shock and awe on a scale that Libiya is considered to no longer be a threat, to this day, with the same man in charge.

Reagan didn't balk, he double dog dared Khadafi to do something and Khadafi went crying for his mama.

Oooooo... lemme guess.. and GWB is a 'war criminal' too :rolleyes:

Reagan did not commit treason..... but a hyper-partisan nutjob winger like you won't let a little thing like fact get in the way

its_a_conspiracy.jpg

Well cute pictures and name calling doesn't change the history.

Nothing "hyper-partisan" just the facts.

Reagan and Atwater send people to bargain with Iranians..to hold the hostages till after the election in exchange for aid. That's treason. He admitted and apologized to this.

Reagan set up a secret revenue stream which he used to aid the Contras..despite the fact that Congress voted against aid for the Contras. That's a violation of the Constitution. He admitted and apologized to this.

Those are the facts.

He skated.

Reagan committed no treason... THAT is fact, motherfucker

I don't know if he and his administration committed treason but I do know this and it's not disputable, motherfucker:

He and his administration illegally sold arms to our enemy in one part of the world in order to illegally fund "freedom fighters" (AKA terrorists that happen to be on our side) in another part of the world.

Reagan balked.

Bottom line is no President would have gone to war with Iraq the way Bush Jr. did.

Bottom line is no matter who got us there, the kenyan is keeping us there, against his promise to get us out.

Well cute pictures and name calling doesn't change the history.

Nothing "hyper-partisan" just the facts.

Reagan and Atwater send people to bargain with Iranians..to hold the hostages till after the election in exchange for aid. That's treason. He admitted and apologized to this.

Reagan set up a secret revenue stream which he used to aid the Contras..despite the fact that Congress voted against aid for the Contras. That's a violation of the Constitution. He admitted and apologized to this.

Those are the facts.

He skated.

I don't know if he and his administration committed treason but I do know this and it's not disputable, motherfucker:

He and his administration illegally sold arms to our enemy in one part of the world in order to illegally fund "freedom fighters" (AKA terrorists that happen to be on our side) in another part of the world.

Yeah.. what if France would ever fund, arm, or even (gasp) help a rogue group of freedom fighters... they would be condemned forever...

:rolleyes:

Yeah.. what if France would ever fund, arm, or even (gasp) help a rogue group of freedom fighters... they would be condemned forever...

you're not honestly attempting to compare the actions of France in support of US revolutionaries with Reagan's explicitly illegal contribution of funds to support the Contras...right?

I mean, you realize that what France was doing was legal, right? And what Reagan was doing was explicitly illegal. you know that right?

Oh, so Obama is to blame for the War in Iraq. That takes the cake. That's the most absurd statement I've read on this board.

you're not honestly attempting to compare the actions of France in support of US revolutionaries with Reagan's explicitly illegal contribution of funds to support the Contras...right?

I mean, you realize that what France was doing was legal, right? And what Reagan was doing was explicitly illegal. you know that right?

Ahhh... again... "What Reagan was doing", I suggest you try and get a little accuracy... was there some sneaky stuff going on?? Yeah.. Was any of it by Reagan really illegal?? Debatable in many people's eyes... Were some things done illegal? Yep, hence why there were some prison terms, etc....

We have done many sneaky things when dealing with enemies, etc over many years, in the name of national defense... and I am actually OK with that... CIA covert ops, under the table deals to facilitate progress in negotiations, etc... but Reagan did nothing treasonous...

And yeah... when the French started helping.. it was indeed pretty similar... France sold supplies under sneaky terms thru Portugal and the Netherlands and other countries to smoke cloud over some of the actions... so yeah.. pretty fucking similar.... I would suggest a bit of reading into all that went on....

Oh, so Obama is to blame for the War in Iraq. That takes the cake. That's the most absurd statement I've read on this board.
Do yourself a favor, take a reading comprehension course.

You said the Kenyan's keeping us there. He's not Kenyan first of all. What are you trying to say if you're not laying blame on him?

We shouldn't have 1,500,000 active military and 1,500,000 reserves. That number should be cut considerably. I appreciate the ones that serve, but we don't need all of them. We should have never gone to War with Iraq. Getting out is much more difficult than getting in. If you're implying he hasn't done a good job of transitioning us out, I'd love for you to explain. The previous administration is 100% responsible for that mess.

Ahhh... again... "What Reagan was doing", I suggest you try and get a little accuracy... was there some sneaky stuff going on?? Yeah.. Was any of it by Reagan really illegal?? Debatable in many people's eyes... Were some things done illegal? Yep, hence why there were some prison terms, etc....
The Reagan administration broke the law. They violated the constitution. It was Reagan's administration.

That is in no-way comparable to French intervention in our own revolution. Not even in the same universe of similarity.

We have done many sneaky things when dealing with enemies, etc over many years, in the name of national defense... and I am actually OK with that... CIA covert ops, under the table deals to facilitate progress in negotiations, etc... but Reagan did nothing treasonous...

How is arming an enemy and using the funds from that arming to arm terrorists "in the name of national defense"?

And yeah... when the French started helping.. it was indeed pretty similar... France sold supplies under sneaky terms thru Portugal and the Netherlands and other countries to smoke cloud over some of the actions... so yeah.. pretty fucking similar.... I would suggest a bit of reading into all that went on....

Which part was illegal? I would suggest you explain that.

Always said for years, that JFK gets the emotional boost of the assassination.. his 'ranking' or 'popularity' is not based on actual doings

For me... in the past 60 or so years... my top 2 are Ike and Reagan

JFK for his handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis. And, because he was very sexy. :lol:

Ike.

Reagan.

JFK CAUSED the Cuban missile crises. He convinced Krushev that he was weak and would simply accept missiles in Cuba rather then risk war. Read some history.

A weak President? That is what caused the Cuban Missile Crisis?

Oh shit!!! What should we expect in the next year or so? :lol:

Immie

I attached the link below:

Kennedy Still Highest-Rated Modern President, Nixon Lowest

W. ranks 8th out of 9. The only one that ranks lower is a guy that got impeached. Jimmy Carter, LBJ, and Gerald Ford rank higher than W. Just keeping it fair and balanced. W. will not move much higher than where he's at in my opinion. He's been on TV touting his book lately and showing himself as the likable guy we all remember and want to have a beer with. Just shouldn't have been President. Immediately following, a midterm where his party was successful, as the outparty always is. It's popular right now for the unified GOP to say you bad, we good. At least 1/2 the country won't easily forget we thought he was a horrible President, no matter how likable he is.

When I read your post, I thought, WTF? Clinton ranks below Bush? No F'ing way!!

Just to clear things up a bit, Nixon was never impeached. He quit before they could accomplish that task.

Answers.com - Why Richard Nixon was impeached

He resigned before a full vote could be taken on the articles of impeachment, although the outcome of that vote was inevitable. Only two presidents have been impeached, that is, formal charges brought them: Andrew Johnson and William J. Clinton.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back