Top lawmakers agree to Patriot Act extension

Looks about time to drop this in here again:

"If you made a phone call today or sent an e-mail to a friend, there's a good chance what you said or wrote was captured and screened by the country's largest intelligence agency. The top-secret Global Surveillance Network is called Echelon, and it's run by the National Security Agency and four English-speaking allies: Canada, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand."

Steve Kroft on 60 Minutes, February 27, 2000. And nary a peep of outrage the next day.

Transcript of 60 Minutes on Echelon

The Patriot Act was intended to provide short term emergency powers to the President in a time of crisis. We are now going on ten years of supposed crisis. It is time to either pull the plug on the Patriot Act or revise the Constitution to provide more power to the President

I never trusted any bill that had to wrap itself in a name like "Patriot Act" in order to get passed.

Last edited:
"Whoever would make his own liberty secure must guard even his most despised countryman from oppression by government, for if he ignores this sacred duty he thus establishes a precedent which someday will surely reach to himself." (Thomas Paine)

"Whoever would make his own liberty secure must guard even his most despised countryman from oppression by government, for if he ignores this sacred duty he thus establishes a precedent which someday will surely reach to himself." (Thomas Paine)

An injury to one is an injury to all
-I.W.W. Slogan (possibly derived from the following)

That is the best government in which an injury to one is the concern of all
-Slogan of the Knights of Labour

Not a single detractor from the Patriot act has provided a real or verifiable loss of freedom anyone has been subjected too.

But you keep whining.

The government can enter into your private life unquestioned. The government has access to your computer and your TV even if your aren't suspect of any crime and do not have to enter your home.
Comcast Cameras to Start Watching You?: Online Video News «

Your phone calls are monitored
U.S. Government Monitored All Americans: Faxes, Phone Calls, Emails and Internet Communications by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

The government monitor your bank transactions
» Government Financial Surveillance Hit All-Time High in 2010… and it’s not about Terrorism - Irregular Times

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Read more: The Government's New Right to Track Your Every Move With GPS - TIME

Hell even your gun purchases can be viewed by other countries.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/factsheets/factsheet-etrace.html

Now you were asking?

Last edited:
Manifold gave me neg rep for the last post but notice he has not actually posted any proof of any lost rights. Why? Because there are none.

The fact that the government is looking at your visa statements and bank records; listening to your telephone calls; reading your e-mails; this is not a loss of privacy and freedom?

Sorry RGS - You can't see the forest for the trees. The Patriot act is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Period.

Provide evidence that a single US Citizen not committing a crime has been affected in any way by any of the provisions of the Patriot act. I won't wait.

Even you are being watched.

Not a single detractor from the Patriot act has provided a real or verifiable loss of freedom anyone has been subjected too.

But you keep whining.

The government can enter into your private life unquestioned. The government has access to your computer and your TV even if your aren't suspect of any crime and do not have to enter your home.

U.S. Government Monitored All Americans: Faxes, Phone Calls, Emails and Internet Communications by Mike Adams the Health Ranger

» Government Financial Surveillance Hit All-Time High in 2010… and it’s not about Terrorism - Irregular Times

ATF Fact Sheet - eTrace: Internet-Based Firearms Tracing and Analysis

Now you were asking?

Yeah, but you don't anything to hide, right? You don't mind if we take a look?

But you keep whining.

Now you were asking?

Thats not the point my privacy is mine if I want to share it I will.

LOL I recall the righties saying the old "Well if you have nothing to hide" back during the partiot act deliberations.

Fear driven fools.

LOL I recall the righties saying the old "Well if you have nothing to hide" back during the partiot act deliberations.

Fear driven fools.

And I recall obamush saying if elected he would repeal the partiot act. What was his fear for wanting to repeal it then but has no fear of it now?

Now you were asking?

Why? What do you have to hide?

You don't mind if we look, do you- don't have anything to hide, right?

You're not some sort of dissident, are you?

Fear driven fools.

And I recall obamush saying if elected he would repeal the partiot act. What was his fear for wanting to repeal it then but has no fear of it now?
Obama says a lot of things. He's a politician.

It's par for the course.

I mean hell, his entire platform was 'I am not an old White man!'

There’s really not much more to be said. Given the deal, replacing republicans with democrats or democrats with republicans isn’t going to help.

We’ve filed lawsuits over the years with mixed success – the "National Security Letters" lawsuit was successful along with the gag provision being struck down as un-Constitutional prior restraint.

Some suits were dropped because Congress just rewrites sections of the law making such actions moot. The Section 215 rewrite, for example, does now allow for challenges and legal consultation prior to responding.

But it could be argued Congress is not to blame, as it merely reflects the cowardice of the American people as a whole who will, yet again, surrender liberty for security.

Why do you keep saying "We?" There is no way you ever filed a lawsuit about anything because you are so ignorant of the law that if you did the judge would either die laughing after reading it or issue a summary judgement on the spot for the other side. Don't try to take credit for something you had nothing to do with.

By the way, it is not the Americans who are afraid, it is the politicians who don't want to go home and explain why they voted against the PATRIOT Act when there is another attack.

Last edited:
Why? What do you have to hide?

You don't mind if we look, do you- don't have anything to hide, right?

You're not some sort of dissident, are you?

Not the point, it is my right to privacy. I am not running for elected office.

What are you, some kinda terrorist?

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to turn around and place your hands behind your back...

Manifold gave me neg rep for the last post but notice he has not actually posted any proof of any lost rights. Why? Because there are none.

The fact that the government is looking at your visa statements and bank records; listening to your telephone calls; reading your e-mails; this is not a loss of privacy and freedom?

Sorry RGS - You can't see the forest for the trees. The Patriot act is a violation of the 4th Amendment. Period.

Provide evidence that a single US Citizen not committing a crime has been affected in any way by any of the provisions of the Patriot act. I won't wait.

Just one?

Documents Obtained by EFF Reveal FBI Patriot Act Abuses | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Unless you can show me that the young children the FBI was monitoring here were criminals I think that meets your criteria.

Forum List

Back