Top Kill has failed according to BP

BP said the complex "top kill" maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed, ending hopes for a quick end to the largest oil spill in U.S. history that is now in its 40th day.

FACTBOX-Developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill | Reuters

Recently a scientist was showing the growth of the oil spill and stressing that the gulf is not that big a place considering how fast the oil spill is growing. Are we looking at the gulf becoming a dead sea with unimaginable economic and ecological loss? BP and the administration have both grossly under estimated the disaster and have overestimated BP's capability to solve the problem. I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

BP said the complex "top kill" maneuver to plug its Gulf of Mexico oil well had failed, ending hopes for a quick end to the largest oil spill in U.S. history that is now in its 40th day.

FACTBOX-Developments in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill | Reuters

Recently a scientist was showing the growth of the oil spill and stressing that the gulf is not that big a place considering how fast the oil spill is growing. Are we looking at the gulf becoming a dead sea with unimaginable economic and ecological loss? BP and the administration have both grossly under estimated the disaster and have overestimated BP's capability to solve the problem. I think it's time the government muster all resources regardless of cost to solve this problem. If we are going to lose this battle, let go down fighting.

What do you expect the government will do?

what should the government do?

send everyone down with straws?

i think the expertise is with the oil companies unfortunately... and they're flying by the seat of their pants.

perhaps where the government comes in is in trying to keep the oil away from shore.

Exactly. They need manpower on the shore and BP underwater.

Damn! This is disappointing

I don't know what the government can do, this has never been done before and they have to work it out as they go along. I'd like to see it taken from BP and have a conglomerate of oil companies working to solve the problem.

The oil companies are all part of this and their ultimate ability to dig similar wells in the future depends on how well we can stop this thing. it is no longer a BP problem, all the oil companies have a lot to lose here

I knew that the worstless top kill wouldn't work, but what do you think about the chances of this other thing they are going to try in a few days working?

BP has already lowered the expectation by saying that "most" of the oil could be captured from the next procedure they try.

My questions is if they can pump all that mud and crud into the pipe, why can't they pump concrete into the pipe? Which is doing more environmental harm, oil or concrete?

David Brooks did an excellant opinion article on the spill in todays Oregonian.

What I see is that we have been treating risks inappropriatly. The chances that a fighter pilot takes to learn his craft are entirely inappropriate for someone learning toe fly a 747. Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Once again, we come back to a sane measurement of risk and reward. From here on it, we had better learn this lesson well. Sometimes errors are irreversable. Whether the destruction of one of the richest ecologys on earth by trying to save a few pennies, or creating an adrupt climate change by the burning of fossil fuels.

I thought Obama said he's been in charge "since day one"?

You are quite right.

Ladies and gentlemen - there is no other way to describe what has been shown regarding Obama during this crisis. He has proven himself incapable of actually leading.

Is it any accident that we have had more terrorist attempts, more Afghan deaths, more rogue nations becoming increasingly belligerent, in recent months?

Obama is weak, and from weakness follows great danger.

I pray someone is able to forumulate a plan to stop the leak soon - but great damage has already been done in the weeks since it began, and those in the world who wish to do this country harm are now greatly emboldened by the sheer magnitude of Obama's incompetence and indiference.

Lord help us...

David Brooks did an excellant opinion article on the spill in todays Oregonian.

What I see is that we have been treating risks inappropriatly. The chances that a fighter pilot takes to learn his craft are entirely inappropriate for someone learning toe fly a 747. Chances taken in the Gulf that resulted in this catastrophe were completely inapropriate given the difficulty of reacting to a disaster.

Once again, we come back to a sane measurement of risk and reward. From here on it, we had better learn this lesson well. Sometimes errors are irreversable. Whether the destruction of one of the richest ecologys on earth by trying to save a few pennies, or creating an adrupt climate change by the burning of fossil fuels.

Maybe you should use less of these "Fossil fuels" and stop posting on the Internet.

Do you realize how much petroleum is used to make and operate your computer and keep you posting your dire "ManMade Global Warming!!" Warnings on the Internet?

Have you anything other that idiocy to post? We have just succeeded in destroying one of the richest ecologys on this planet. One that has supplied this nation with the majority of it's seafood.

The US Government has no resources at all to deal with this kind of disaster. Indeed, the only people that do are the oil companies. All our President can do is try to ramp up the efforts to deal with the oil as it makes landfall. And keep the pressure on BP to cap that well.

When the well is capped, then we can address whether offshore drilling should be allowed at all. And how much of the damages can be paid by a new tax on all oil coming into the US. For BP is not going to by able to cover this.

You are quite right.

Ladies and gentlemen - there is no other way to describe what has been shown regarding Obama during this crisis. He has proven himself incapable of actually leading.

Is it any accident that we have had more terrorist attempts, more Afghan deaths, more rogue nations becoming increasingly belligerent, in recent months?

Obama is weak, and from weakness follows great danger.

I pray someone is able to forumulate a plan to stop the leak soon - but great damage has already been done in the weeks since it began, and those in the world who wish to do this country harm are now greatly emboldened by the sheer magnitude of Obama's incompetence and indiference.

Lord help us...

How has he shown he isnt able to lead in this situation?

More Afghan deaths comes from having an actual fighting force there now.

Why is Obama weak?

Why is Obama incompetent? How is he indifferent?

the russians say it can be capped with a nuke.

they claim that a nuclear explosion successfully capped leaks in five out of six tries. what they don't like to tell you is that the 6th hole is still burning 40 years later.

Have you anything other that idiocy to post? We have just succeeded in destroying one of the richest ecologys on this planet. One that has supplied this nation with the majority of it's seafood.

The US Government has no resources at all to deal with this kind of disaster. Indeed, the only people that do are the oil companies. All our President can do is try to ramp up the efforts to deal with the oil as it makes landfall. And keep the pressure on BP to cap that well.

When the well is capped, then we can address whether offshore drilling should be allowed at all. And how much of the damages can be paid by a new tax on all oil coming into the US. For BP is not going to by able to cover this.

In all of human history, this is the first and only time hydrocarbons have vented from the planets oceans

Amazing.

Simply amazing.

Forum List

Back