'Top kill' halts flow of oil and gas, admiral says

From the article, they still say it is leaking, still "persistent"

From the La times

BP begins 'top kill' procedure to stop oil flow in gulf - latimes.com

But hours into the "top kill" procedure, BP executives were not ready to declare victory.

"We will not be rushed. It's too early to know if it will be successful," BP Chief Operating Officer Doug Suttles said Wednesday evening. "We've ridden a roller coaster, and I think we just need to take the next 24 hours and see what the results are."

The procedure wont be a sucess until the cement phase is finished, and the cement has had time to set. After that the well itself is plugged and oil should stop flowing out of the riser breaks.

Hallelujah!! Now comes the bigger question. Did they ever decide who and how they are going to clean up the mess?

Its nice to see some signs of success in a story that kept getting worse and worse everyday.

Good news.

Now they can concentrate on clean up.

BP better have a big wallet with loads of cash in it. Oh Yes.

Good news.

Now they can concentrate on clean up.

BP better have a big wallet with loads of cash in it. Oh Yes.

The cost of this cleanup will make the $2.2 billion that Exxonmobile paid to cleanup the Prince William Sound look like pocket change. I have a feeling when they are quoted the hundreds of billions it will probably take to rectify their mess they'll be looking to blame other companies. I think I already heard something about Haliburton also being at fault... It's probably going to turn into a blame game before we see the Gulf cleaned.

BP has stopped the flow of oil and gas from a ruptured well into the Gulf of Mexico, a US official told local media.

The company's "top kill" effort has "stabilised the wellhead", Coast Guard commander Thad Allen said, adding that it was too early to declare success.

This is the first step, using mud, in BP's plan to seal the well for good with cement.

BBC News - 'Top kill' method 'stops BP oil leak' in Gulf of Mexico

:clap2: :woohoo:

BP has stopped the flow of oil and gas from a ruptured well into the Gulf of Mexico, a US official told local media.

The company's "top kill" effort has "stabilised the wellhead", Coast Guard commander Thad Allen said, adding that it was too early to declare success.

This is the first step, using mud, in BP's plan to seal the well for good with cement.

BBC News - 'Top kill' method 'stops BP oil leak' in Gulf of Mexico

:clap2: :woohoo:

'Low pressure'

Adm Allen told US media the "top kill" procedure, which began on Wednesday, has pumped enough drilling fluid to block all oil and gas escaping from the well.

"They've been able to stabilise the wellhead, they're pumping mud down it. They've stopped the hydrocarbons from coming up," Adm Allen told WWL First News radio.

It was the first positive official assessment of BP's latest attempt to plug the well, after previous efforts failed.

BP has not yet commented in detail on the situation, saying merely that the operation was continuing.

Adm Allen said there was still pressure from the well, although at very low levels.

Once engineers have reduced the pressure to zero, they will begin pumping cement into the hole to seal the well, he added.

:eusa_pray:

And Liberals go into depression that they dont' have an ongoing crisis to whine and assign blame for.

And Liberals go into depression that they dont' have an ongoing crisis to whine and assign blame for.

:slap:

The oil itself is registered independent and I'm pretty sure pelicans and oysters aren't even allowed to vote! :rolleyes:

Sounds like there is close to enough downward pressure to stop it. The additional mud should finish the job and then the task of cementing it closed permanently can begin. Now if we can get lucky with currents and tides the damage might be localized.

Hi... my name is Larry the Liberal.

I don't have a crisis to wring my hands about and to blame previous GOP administrations for.

What am I supposed to do now?

Forum List

Back