Top House Republican calls for spending freeze

:lol:
Doing nothing but stopping federal spending is a better idea than anything the government has done so far. Letting the market correct itself is exactly what needs to happen right now. Bailouts and spending packages simply prolong and worsen the agony of the recession.

Bush didn't spend any money on infrastructure the last 8 years. The country needs a facelift. And, doing it now will help each state get thru this tough time, pay unemployment benefits, etc.

We'll agree on NO bullshit wasteful pork, but not that the government should sit and do nothing. That's insane.

Construction companies eliminated 104,000 jobs. Factories axed 168,000. Retailers cut nearly 40,000. Professional and business services got rid of 180,000, with 78,000 jobs lost at temporary-help agencies. Financial companies reduced payrolls by 44,000. Leisure and hospitality firms chopped 33,000 positions.

We can't afford infrastructure spending right now. Doing nothing so that the market can correct itself is not insane. Wasting trillions of dollars in an attempt to spend your way out of a recession, now that's insane.

Come on now. Show me the economists that suggest the best thing we should do is hunker down and wait for the storm to pass.

Job losses could get even worse - Eye on the Economy- msnbc.com

The reason the Great Depression went on so long was the Government waited too long before they did anything. Sort of like how Bush let it all happen and now Obama has to dig himself out of this hole.

And like we paid for Iraq, the rich are going to pay for this one.

How come Wallstreet still won't buy at rock bottom prices? If Wallstreet would start buying, things would start to improve. But everytime a stock goes up a couple points, they dump what stocks they have.

Bad as Friday's grim jobs report was — 8.1 percent unemployment rate, 651,000 jobs lost in February, 4.4 million shed since the recession began — the labor market's pain is likely to continue until well into 2010.

Wall Street economists, who are not typically paid to see the glass half-empty, warn that more bad news is coming in the months ahead.

"The economy is in a tailspin. Businesses are jettisoning jobs at an unprecedented pace," said Richard Yamarone, economist at Argus Research.

“The labor market remains in free-fall," said Nigel Gault Chief US Economist IHS Global Insight. “The recession is deepening; there is no sign yet even that the rate of contraction is slowing."

Thanks George Bush. You set us up to fail!!!

Oh yea, this is poor people's fault. :lol:

:lol:
Bush didn't spend any money on infrastructure the last 8 years. The country needs a facelift. And, doing it now will help each state get thru this tough time, pay unemployment benefits, etc.

We'll agree on NO bullshit wasteful pork, but not that the government should sit and do nothing. That's insane.

Construction companies eliminated 104,000 jobs. Factories axed 168,000. Retailers cut nearly 40,000. Professional and business services got rid of 180,000, with 78,000 jobs lost at temporary-help agencies. Financial companies reduced payrolls by 44,000. Leisure and hospitality firms chopped 33,000 positions.

We can't afford infrastructure spending right now. Doing nothing so that the market can correct itself is not insane. Wasting trillions of dollars in an attempt to spend your way out of a recession, now that's insane.

Come on now. Show me the economists that suggest the best thing we should do is hunker down and wait for the storm to pass.

Job losses could get even worse - Eye on the Economy- msnbc.com

The reason the Great Depression went on so long was the Government waited too long before they did anything. Sort of like how Bush let it all happen and now Obama has to dig himself out of this hole.

And like we paid for Iraq, the rich are going to pay for this one.

How come Wallstreet still won't buy at rock bottom prices? If Wallstreet would start buying, things would start to improve. But everytime a stock goes up a couple points, they dump what stocks they have.

Bad as Friday's grim jobs report was — 8.1 percent unemployment rate, 651,000 jobs lost in February, 4.4 million shed since the recession began — the labor market's pain is likely to continue until well into 2010.

Wall Street economists, who are not typically paid to see the glass half-empty, warn that more bad news is coming in the months ahead.

"The economy is in a tailspin. Businesses are jettisoning jobs at an unprecedented pace," said Richard Yamarone, economist at Argus Research.

“The labor market remains in free-fall," said Nigel Gault Chief US Economist IHS Global Insight. “The recession is deepening; there is no sign yet even that the rate of contraction is slowing."

Thanks George Bush. You set us up to fail!!!

Oh yea, this is poor people's fault. :lol:

No, the Great Depression went on so long because Hoover and FDR both intervened in the market, like Bush and Obama have done with our current recession.

as in Europe,
we shall become as corrupt as Europe .
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear
arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which
he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than
standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control
the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and
corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all
property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers
conquered.'

Seally booo is right Bush was and still is a fuck up and I'm a Republican that asshole should have done some or all of the following
1. found MSD's and labled them IRAN
2.found MSD's and labled them RUSSIA
3. said fuck theses people helping Osama and lite them up.we would not be broke today if He and congress had any balls. Forget about the lives this would have saved.
4.Nuked Iran along the way gonna have to do it sooner or later.

Seally booo is right Bush was and still is a fuck up and I'm a Republican that asshole should have done some or all of the following
3. said fuck theses people helping Osama and lite them up.we would not be broke today if He and congress had any balls. Forget about the lives this would have saved.

Yes, we should nuke a country that has done no harm to us to "save lives." :rolleyes:

What is being proposed currently is an Omnibus Bill - spending above and beyond the original budget.

To veto this ridiculous pork barrel bill and put a freeze and current budget increases is very sound governing. Essential programs will still be funded - it will be the special interest pig trough that will be cut off.

$450 billion in across-the-board tax cuts would have far more positive impact on the immiediate economy than a $450 billion omnibus pork bill.

That puts Democrats in a pickle though - I believe a great many of them know this, but to come out and cut taxes to improve the economy would go against the foundation upon which they stand - bigger government to solve more problems for the growing masses who say they cannot make it themselves.

You republicans crack me up.

PORK BARRELL SPENDING REACHES RECORD HIGH IN 2005

PORK BARRELL SPENDING REACHES RECORD HIGH IN 2005

We told you that your party was bankrupting the country back then. What did you say? Bush has to fight the war!!! We said, "Tom Delay and him are spending on a lot more than defense."

And you defended all their programs.

Do you deny their spending helped cause the mess our country is in?

And you claim that it was the Democrats the last 2 years? How when Bush veto'ed everything they did? Liars.

Why else did they lose so badly in 06 and 2008?

And you guys think I'm dumb. Why, because I don't fall for your bullshit?

Because I have a memory? Thank god for the Internet.
those guys were PIKERS compared to whats going on today
did you notice that was dated in 2006?
well, 2009 is setting NEW records

um, what are MSD's?

Although I do agree with the concept stopping the funding of programs that will not aid to resolving our recession, I do not agree with a complete spending freeze that Boehner is advocating.

A turn to infrastructure, education, and reduction on military spending(in terms of new equipment) is more in line than a million dollar pool that did pop up in the original stimulus bill.

In any case, what is Boehner's solution? Just sit around and watch the marvel of our market system shed jobs faster than Fido can breed fleas? Until the Republicans can come up with solutions for down markets, I think I will generally "follow the donkey" on this one.

Just watch out for the farmer's Gold!!

I really dont understand what is so hard to understand about the market system. The market is correcting itself. That's why it's going down. The economy we were experiencing was an illusion built on the foundation of bad business ideas.

What you guys keep suggesting is that we stop the correction and trying to sustain the economic hemoraging. The government cant fix the problem. It can only make things worse.

People fix the problem. People fix it by being honest with their fellow men. By being honest with their work. They do it by providing and honest days work for an honest days pay. They do it by creating innovations. By creating businesses. They do it by having dreams and using smart planning.

Are you honestly suggesting that the economy would suffer if we dont expand government spending? Heaven forbid we actually not expand the budget and keep it the same as last year. And dont even mention actually cutting the budget. We have to keep every single wasteful and unconstitutional program or our lives are over!

Seriously, come on people.

The dems shot down this freeze on new spending, they want that 8.5% MORE then Bushie.

They are just soooooooooo fiscally careful...dickwads.

It;s about high damm time they did that! Freeze all indescritionary spending right now.
not gonna happen
after screaming for 8 years that Bush was spending too much, they are now complaining he didnt spend enough, so they have to spend even more

Subject: How the U.S. Tax System Works

Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten
comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go
something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's w hat they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day
and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw
them a curve. He said, "Since you are all such good customers, I'm going to
reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20. Drinks for the ten now cost just
$80."

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes, so the
first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what
about the other six men -- the paying customers?
How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair
share"? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33.
But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and
the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So the bar
owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly
the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay!

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to
drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare
their savings.

"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to
the tenth man, "but he got $10!"
"Yeah, that's right,' exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too.
It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"

"That's true!!"shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I
got only $2 ? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get
anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down
and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they
discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of
them for even half of the bill!
And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax
system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from
a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they
just may not show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas
where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics, University of Georgia

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

spending our way outta a situation where we spent too much seems to be the premis so many miss.....

Forum List

Back