Top 50 Philanthropists

I'm missing something here....how do some of the people give over 100% of their net worth. One person gave over 300% of their net worth and they still have net worth remaining....doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Or are they trying to say that over the years they have given over 100% of what their net worth currently is? Because that could make sense.

Powerman said:
I'm missing something here....how do some of the people give over 100% of their net worth. One person gave over 300% of their net worth and they still have net worth remaining....doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Or are they trying to say that over the years they have given over 100% of what their net worth currently is? Because that could make sense.

I think it's saying had they not given 100 million in charity, they would be worth 200 million instead of 100 million.

If I have 100 bucks and give 90 away, I'll have given 900% of my net worth after. A little deceiving statistically.

The ClayTaurus said:
I think it's saying had they not given 100 million in charity, they would be worth 200 million instead of 100 million.

If I have 100 bucks and give 90 away, I'll have given 900% of my net worth after. A little deceiving statistically.
That doesn't make sense. You have given 90% away. (I'm a math retard, Jeff or someone help me out here.)

Ok so, after you give your 90 bucks away, you're left with 10 bucks to your name. That's your net worth, 10 bucks.

90 bucks now goes from 90% of what you earned to 900% of what you're worth. Charitible contributions don't count towards your net worth.

So, on a larger scale, if you made 200 million dollars and gave 100 million of it away, you'd have donated 50% of what you earned, but 100% of what you're worth.

The ClayTaurus said:
Ok so, after you give your 90 bucks away, you're left with 10 bucks to your name. That's your net worth, 10 bucks.

90 bucks now goes from 90% of what you earned to 900% of what you're worth. Charitible contributions don't count towards your net worth.

:confused:

90 bucks is 90% of 100 bucks (what you earned)

It's 900% of 10 bucks (what you're now worth, 9 times 10 dollars)

Forum List

Back