Top 5 of your favorite books

The best book I've ever read was The Stand by Stephen King. I read it in my early twenties and it had the largest impact on me as any novel I've ever read.

I have read too many books to narrow it to five.
So I will say that I prefer Clancy, Crighteon (sp?), Coyle, Cussler, Heinlein in no particular order.

GWBfan said:
The best book I've ever read was The Stand by Stephen King. I read it in my early twenties and it had the largest impact on me as any novel I've ever read.

That book made me so angry!

Taking those three across the desert, one gets injured the other two get there and are being crucified only to end the way it did?!!!! The HAND OF GOD?!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with this guy?

If you don't know why you are taking them across the desert, don't feed me half of the damn book about their travels and tribulations in getting there. There was no reason to waste my time with those three if they had no impact on the end of the story.

This is the kind of ending you get when you have passed your contracted date several times and cannot figure out why you had those guys do that.

no1tovote4 said:
That book made me so angry!

Taking those three across the desert, one gets injured the other two get there and are being crucified only to end the way it did?!!!! The HAND OF GOD?!!!!!!!!!! What is wrong with this guy?

If you don't know why you are taking them across the desert, don't feed me half of the damn book about their travels and tribulations in getting there. There was no reason to waste my time with those three if they had no impact on the end of the story.

This is the kind of ending you get when you have passed your contracted date several times and cannot figure out why you had those guys do that.

LOL, they should have had a big show down in Vegas at least!

Said1 said:
LOL, they should have had a big show down in Vegas at least!

At least have them do something! Aaaaaargh!

Well, in attempting to come up with one book overall that actually changed the way I looked at the world I came up with "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlien, or maybe "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". There are so many good books out there, I have read thousands, I go through about 5 per month.

no1tovote4 said:
Well, in attempting to come up with one book overall that actually changed the way I looked at the world I came up with "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Heinlien, or maybe "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress". There are so many good books out there, I have read thousands, I go through about 5 per month.

I don't have time to read what I want anymore, and a list of five is very hard, but if I had to pick I guess I would say:

1. Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
2. East of Eden (or just about any Steinbeck novel except for The Pearl) - John Steinbeck
3. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
4. All books form Updike's "Rabbit" series
5. The End of The Line: The Siege of Khe Sanh - Robert Pisor
6. The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas (appeals to my vengeful side!)

Ok, more than 5. I've read most of those books more than once so they're high on my lists of favs. What are you reading now?

Said1 said:
I don't have time to read what I want anymore, and a list of five is very hard, but if I had to pick I guess I would say:

1. Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse
2. East of Eden (or just about any Steinbeck novel except for The Pearl) - John Steinbeck
3. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
4. All books form Updike's "Rabbit" series
5. The End of The Line: The Siege of Khe Sanh - Robert Pisor
6. The Count of Monte Cristo - Dumas (appeals to my vengeful side!)

Ok, more than 5. I've read most of those books more than once so they're high on my lists of favs. What are you reading now?

Saga of the Seven Suns -- Hidden Empire (The first book in the series). I have a signed copy from the Author.

I am also reading Shogun for like the seventh time. :)

no1tovote4 said:
Saga of the Seven Suns -- Hidden Empire (The first book in the series). I have a signed copy from the Author.

Wow, how cool is that!!

I am also reading Shogun for like the seventh time. :)

I've never read that, although I've picked up about 20 times in used stores, I'll have to read it one of these days!

I planned to read "Reflections of a Siamese Twin" - John Ralston Saul while on holidays, but I haven't read more than three pages!

Said1 said:
Wow, how cool is that!!

I've never read that, although I've picked up about 20 times in used stores, I'll have to read it one of these days!

I planned to read "Reflections of a Siamese Twin" - John Ralston Saul while on holidays, but I haven't read more than three pages!

I would say that Shogun is probably one of the best novels written in the US. Fantastic reading...

Isn't "Reflections of a Siamese Twin" a comparison of the US and Canadian cultures? I haven't heard very good things about this one..

no1tovote4 said:
I would say that Shogun is probably one of the best novels written in the US. Fantastic reading...

Isn't "Reflections of a Siamese Twin" a comparison of the US and Canadian cultures? I haven't heard very good things about this one..

Yes it is. Ralston isn't my favorite author, but he does inspire debate, which is kind of why I read his stuff. I'm surprised Voltaire's Bastards didn't fall apart from being pitched across the room so many times. :bangheads

Too many favourite books to class them and give only 5... but maybe :
- JRR Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
- JRR Tolkien - The Silmarillon
- Frank Herbert - Cycle of DUNE (7 books)
- Maurice Druon - Les Rois Maudits (the damned kings) (7 books)
- Bernard Werber's books : "Les Fourmis" (the ants) (3 books), "Les thanatonautes" (the thanatonauts) & "l'empire des anges" (the empire of angels) ; "le père de nos père" (the father of our fathers) & "l'ultime secret" (the ultimate secrecy).
A real good author, and his books are really excellent ;)
You should read them ;)

1. Catch-22--Joseph Heller
2. The World According to Garp--John Irving
3. Dune--Frank Herbert
4. The Sirens of Titan--Kurt Vonnegut
5. The Adventures of the Good Soldier Svejk--Jaroslav Hasek

I am sure you have heard of all of these, except for the last one. Svejk is by a Czech author and deeply influenced Heller to write Catch-22 and is listed as one of the top 100 novels of the 20th Century. My avatar is of Svejk.

Also I liked 1984, but I found these other books more enjoyable to read.

Forum List

Back