Top 5 Issues?

rtwngAvngr said:
Be amazed. Gingrich is a genius.

If he were a genius, he wouldn't have imploded.

You have a great sense of humor, though. :poke:

He wasn't so hot on the morality front. Serving your wife with divorce papers while she's lying in a hospital bed after having a masectomy isn't exactly fine and upstanding, is it?

jillian said:
If he were a genius, he wouldn't have imploded.

You have a great sense of humor, though. :poke:

He wasn't so hot on the morality front. Serving your wife with divorce papers while she's lying in a hospital bed after having a masectomy isn't exactly fine and upstanding, is it?

morality is a personal issue. no?

jillian said:
To dems it is as a general rule.
WHat morality do dems adhere to as a general rule?
Not to the right.....unless the morality is one of their own....then, no so much. :rolleyes:

Could you please characterize the right's morality? In your own words.

gop_jeff said:
In your opinion (i.e. not the opinion of a blogger or journalist), what are the top five national political issues in America today?

1. Border control/ illegal immigration
2. Tax reform
3. SSI reform
4. Alternate fuel development
5. Reduction of the budget

jillian said:
I am always amazed by the ability of those on the right to delude themselves into thinking that Newt did anything but embarrass Congress when he shut down the government. ;)

Guess the Republican Congress only forgot how to control its spending after Bush got into office. :duh3:

Keep giving Clinton credit, but the fact is a balanced budget was about the only thing on the GOP's "Contract to America" that got done. This was a GOP issue. Newt got it done and Clinton got the credit. You are right. The GOP has forgotten how to control its spending and we Republicans are pissed about that. That still doesn't take away from the fact that Newt is a genius and got the budget fixed. He shut down the government because Clinton wanted to spend a shit load of money. If Clinton had agreed to the cuts in the budget, the government wouldn't have been shut down. I applaud Mr. Gingrich for not backing down for the good of the whole. The Democrats would have never done such a thing, because it would have made people mad. Gingrich didn't care. He was there to govern, not pander.

jillian said:
I am always amazed by the ability of those on the right to delude themselves into thinking that Newt did anything but embarrass Congress when he shut down the government. ;)

Guess the Republican Congress only forgot how to control its spending after Bush got into office. :duh3:

I am always amazed by the the abiltiy of those on the left to claim the moral and ethical high ground, insult the inteligence of those on the right and wonder why they can not persuade those they insult to join their ranks. :splat:

onthefence said:
Keep giving Clinton credit, but the fact is a balanced budget was about the only thing on the GOP's "Contract to America" that got done. This was a GOP issue. Newt got it done and Clinton got the credit. You are right. The GOP has forgotten how to control its spending and we Republicans are pissed about that. That still doesn't take away from the fact that Newt is a genius and got the budget fixed. He shut down the government because Clinton wanted to spend a shit load of money. If Clinton had agreed to the cuts in the budget, the government wouldn't have been shut down. I applaud Mr. Gingrich for not backing down for the good of the whole. The Democrats would have never done such a thing, because it would have made people mad. Gingrich didn't care. He was there to govern, not pander.

Maybe the issue is more one of what gets cut. I think we all agree that spending is out of control right now. But it's not because some old lady in New Jersey is on medicaid. It's because we're spending our money on nation-building. I don't think poor and middle class kids should lose Pell Grants and Student Loans to balance the budget. The fact of the matter is that this president and this Congress cut taxes (the government's income) at a time when the money was needed to pay for Bush's war. That's never been done before by any leader in history.

The fact that China holds our debt is incredibly dangerous to us and may come back to bite us in the butt -- quite badly -- one day. And yet money is still being tossed around for things like Bridges to No Where.

So...we agree that the budget should be balanced. But on whose back?

jillian said:
Maybe the issue is more one of what gets cut. I think we all agree that spending is out of control right now. But it's not because some old lady in New Jersey is on medicaid. It's because we're spending our money on nation-building. I don't think poor and middle class kids should lose Pell Grants and Student Loans to balance the budget. The fact of the matter is that this president and this Congress cut taxes (the government's income) at a time when the money was needed to pay for Bush's war. That's never been done before by any leader in history.

The fact that China holds our debt is incredibly dangerous to us and may come back to bite us in the butt -- quite badly -- one day. And yet money is still being tossed around for things like Bridges to No Where.

So...we agree that the budget should be balanced. But on whose back?

And nothing in there is in response to what I said. When my statements get dodged, I assume that you agree with me. You can say it. Newt is a genius.

onthefence said:
And nothing in there is in response to what I said. When my statements get dodged, I assume that you agree with me. You can say it. Newt is a genius.

LOL! Cute. I figured I didn't have to restate what I said before. :whip3:

Seriously, I think Newt is an opportunist like every other politician....albeit a very good one. "Cept his doors got blown when he overstepped. Funny thing is that compared to this current crop, one almost wishes for the days of Newt. At least the guy knew how to cut a deal.

jillian said:
LOL! Cute. I figured I didn't have to restate what I said before. :whip3:

Seriously, I think Newt is an opportunist like every other politician....albeit a very good one. "Cept his doors got blown when he overstepped. Funny thing is that compared to this current crop, one almost wishes for the days of Newt. At least the guy knew how to cut a deal.

I almost fully agree. We seem to more done when Congress is controlled by a different party. Newt new how to get things done. Too bad that isn't his legacy.

onthefence said:
I almost fully agree. We seem to more done when Congress is controlled by a different party. Newt new how to get things done. Too bad that isn't his legacy.

Sometimes a person's legacy isn't what it might be. I think that often, people get defined more by their "fatal flaw" than their attributes.

I don't know if we get more done when everything isn't in the hands of one party, but at least someone is watching the henhouse.

Back to work now. Always a pleasure.

Laterz!

I guess the main issue for me is: will I be hitting the name beside the (R) with a stylus, or electronically?

Of course, this party had better start dancing with the ones that brought 'em - and that goes for '06 AND '08.

musicman said:
I guess the main issue for me is: will I be hitting the name beside the (R) with a stylus, or electronically?

I'll be doing the same thing, Musicman, but not as enthusiastically. The main reason for supporting the (R) will be that the alternative is unacceptable to me. There are simply too few people in the Democrat Party today who believe as Joe Lieberman, Zell Miller, Mark Warner, etc. do.

I guess we're just going to have to put a whole lot more effort in making our elected representatives (R) understand that, when we send them to Washington, we expect them to take care of the nation's business first and foremost and not become a part of Washington's highly partisan "culture".

Forum List

Back