Top 25 Left-Wing Films

Wow...It only took three posts to go from bitter partisan hack to astute commentator on political content in cinema.

A-mazing! :eusa_whistle:
When pressed to name a right wing film, the only two I can think of are Triumph of the Will and Red Dawn.

Can I help it if selfishness makes for a lousy story? Even A Christmas Carol shows the salvation a Conservative can seek once his philosophy proves too shallow.

How is Red Dawn a RW movie?

Never heard of the other one.
Patrick Swayse Charlie Sheen and some Brat Packers fight off a Soviet invasion of ranch country with shotguns and hunting rifles and true grit. One out of five stars. Predictable and simplistic. See it for free on TNT.

Wow...It only took three posts to go from bitter partisan hack to astute commentator on political content in cinema.

A-mazing! :eusa_whistle:
When pressed to name a right wing film, the only two I can think of are Triumph of the Will and Red Dawn.

Can I help it if selfishness makes for a lousy story? Even A Christmas Carol shows the salvation a Conservative can seek once his philosophy proves too shallow.
Uh-huh...That was exactly my point.

Or

"Imagine have (sic) such a limited world view that everything must pass through a political filter before it can be consumed." :rolleyes:
I have a very extensive collection of films on DVD. I do not watch a film and make a judgment on its politics. How someone got a political message out of the Wizard of Oz, I still don't know. But the story was written in the 19th century and is chock full of allegory.

But someone decided that there are "Lefty" films and made a top 25 list.

I can't come up with 25 "Righty" films to save my life.

Using the criteria the OP used in creating such a list, I find it pitiful that someone would filter his film experience through politics.

Patrick Swayse Charlie Sheen and some Brat Packers fight off a Soviet invasion of ranch country with shotguns and hunting rifles and true grit. One out of five stars. Predictable and simplistic. See it for free on TNT.
That just makes it stupid, not any sort of political statement.

And make no mistake about it, that flick is almost as endlessly stupid as "Road House".

And make no mistake about it, that flick is almost as endlessly stupid as "Road House".
I loved it. But when I first saw it as a kid, it fucked me up when you add in that The Day After had just been aired 2 years before and then you had a host of post apocalyptic films that was very powerful in the minds of young teens.

Well, I have never seen Brokeback Mountain, but unless it features a lot of steaming cow guts I can't imagine why it'd squork you, Fitz. I've never seen Metroplois either, but I've heard it was great, and I'd like to.

Most right wing movie EVA? Surely The Fountainhead? Made me a fan of Patricia Neal for life.
I've seen The Fountainhead. Horrible casting IMHO. Gary Cooper was a HORRID choice and even his excellent acting skills were for the wrong part. And as Oddball pointed out, Rand characters, for all the intrigue to them, are often stilted ad 2 dimensional as they are archetypes first and foremost in almost Jungian simplicity.

The book is phenomenal. Ellsworth Toohey is a truly diabolical and chilling villain. He seemed almost ancillary in the movie removing such a wonderful subtle malice and caustic menace that the movie never captured which was more the focal point of the book.

As for Brokeass Mountain, they were Sheep ranchers.

Good right wing movies? Hmmm

-Demolition Man (very anti-utopian, introduces us to Sandra Bullock)
-The Dark Knight (yes, right wing even with his subtle shot at the patriot act)
-Addams Family/Addams Family Values (an unconventional family triumphs and remains whole against those who would divide them and steal their fortune)
- Iron Man ( Industrialist jerk has his eyes opened, tries to go peacenik and discovers that the price of peace is to prepare for war)

Just a couple that most may not notice that I consider more 'Right Wing".

Road House is sacred, Oddball. SACRED.

No real hits from the right?

Imagine the chicken-hawks welcoming the Russians. I can see the hugs and kisses now. So 'Red Dawn' would need to be modified so only the poor whites and minorities fight the battle, we can rule that one out. The 'right' would be in church and if not just deferred, or maybe hiding in a cave. Dick Cheney as super soldier, nah!

'Triumph of the Will' sorta works, reminds me of a tea party film, except the TP is lots of old people living off the government but complaining about it, and worrying their seat in front of the boob tube will cost more. Imagine all the tea party signs and the guns and assault weapons. It could be renamed Triumph of the Tea Bag' in which beautiful and vivacious Michelle Bachmann, plays a combination Ayn Rand and Marie-Antoinette and John Boehner could repeat ad infinitum 'hell no, we won't.'

Any more right wing films? Probably not, whining is hardly entertaining.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back