Top 25 Left-Wing Films

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Ragnar, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Big Hollywood Top 25 Left-Wing Films

I can't say I agree with the order though it's not bad. Also, I have not seen five of the twenty-five films on the list so I can't say anything about them at all. However, I do have to agree, for the most part (Michael Moore. Really?) of the films I've seen, they are almost all (Mikey Moore, really?) very great films to watch.

Some of them are among my favorites too though I've never tried to put together a definitive list, let alone a list that took politics into account. Also the degree of "Leftyness" varies quite a bit IMHO as Nolte makes his case.

2. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Interesting list, Ragnar.

Thankies for posting.

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    I only saw 20 ? Interesting how the right cannot live without defining the left? Odd predicament when all you do is look at the other as something else. You can define else.

He missed a few interesting films I could maybe (?), if I had a narrow head like his, define as leftist. Death of a Salesman, Being There, Focus are three, anyone who hasn't seen 'Focus' see it. Book is better. And how about Steinbeck, Orwell, Huxley, Beckett, or Dickens? Were they lefties? Their stories became movies too. Lots more. Waiting for Godot is about as lefty as one can get. LOL

Righties always tell us what is good for us, weird bunch as they accuse the other side of same. I saw a list of their bad books once too. Seems ideas scare the crap outta them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  4. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Amazing how many of those movies I've actually seen and agree they're often entertaining but then.... they get moralizing and you want to vomit.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I have seen 4 of them.
    But Apolclypse Now is a left wing film?

rightwingers seem to love it.

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    oh yeah. Let's make every last soldier look like a lunatic bloodcrazed warmonger. Very conservative.

7. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Right defines the Left, Left defines the Right. Not a big deal when done smartly and fairly and Nolte was up to the task. If he was afraid of ideas, there is nothing in all 25 articles that indicated that. (though there is nothing particularly wrong with concern over the perpetuation of bad ideas like racism, collectivism or fat people in spandex)

It's possible, being hollywood-centric that foreign films were not considered for the list tough I don't know that definitively. In any case the point of posting list like this is to promote discussion of other worthy film, the order of the list, what should not be there, etc. I have not seen Death of a Salesman, the Hollywood version anyway though I think I should.

Anyway, Nolte is writing in praise of great "lefty" films, in each case stating first why he thinks it's "Left" and then, why he thinks it's a great film. I think that's a worthy exercise for anyone. I'd be just as interested to read a list of Right leaning movies and why they are or are not great art as well.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,100
    American Beauty was bizarre.
    I never understood how a movie that made it out to be the fault of the teen girl that a perverted Dad of her friend wanted to f*ck her. And just at the moment he was about to screw her he has an epiphany - and whalla he's the good guy.

9. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,100
    And btw - he forgot Avatar.

10. Ragnar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Avatar came up briefly in one of the articles but was rejected from the list because despite being "Left", it was not actually a very good movie.

The opposite reason was sited for not including Dr. Strangelove. It was a great movie, but not particularly left wing.