Top 10 RB of all-time (from an honest perspective)

Imagine if the Lions hadn't traded their number one pick for Pat Swilling. the saints took Willie Roaf. How many yards per season would Barry have had then?

I might even revise that list and put Curtis Martin into the top 10 somewhere.

Imagine if the Lions hadn't traded their number one pick for Pat Swilling. the saints took Willie Roaf. How many yards per season would Barry have had then?

Yeah, but it's almost like he didn't even NEED the o-line. I think he PREFERRED to generate his own yards.

He's my favorite of all time regardless of Payton, but i think as a top-10 list goes, somehow Payton seems to have to be #1.

How close would the Edge be to Emmitt had he not left the Colts?

I couldn't honestly say. I saw Emmitt multiple times a year since he was in my division, saw him a LOT in the playoffs, got every thanksgiving game, and lots of monday night games. I just know him better than Edge.

I can't go by stats alone when making such an important decision.

I couldn't honestly say. I saw Emmitt multiple times a year since he was in my division, saw him a LOT in the playoffs, got every thanksgiving game, and lots of monday night games. I just know him better than Edge.

I just thought of something. Emmitt had tremendous success against the Eagles. I remember HUGE games from him against them. I understand where you're coming from now.

I just thought of something. Emmitt had tremendous success against the Eagles. I remember HUGE games from him against them. I understand where you're coming from now.

I believe he set the monday night rushing yards record against us one year...

Something like 237 yards or something like that. We never handled him well at all.

And then he crushed us for almost 200 in the playoffs later that season. And his shoulder had been separated and he was not full strength the rest of the year. In fact, at a time when it was completely separated he ran for mid 100's against the Giants that year. I just remember watching him favor it the entire game and still busting through holes.

Like the good Eagles fan that I am, knowing we'd probably play him in the post season (being only 13 at the time too, mind you) I was SOOOOO rooting for it to to turn into a season ending injury for him.

We held the entire team in check during that subsequent playoff game except him, and that was the nail in the coffin.

Say what you want about him, "he had such a great line"...and all that shit...but the guy was a fucking STUD.

And I hate him :D

Living on the east coast, I only got to see Barry Sanders on Thanksgiving and ESPN highlights. I was usually impressed.
Shortly after Barry retired, I was sitting in a Chicago airport bar next to a guy from Detroit. I told him I hoped Barry would reconsider his retirement and the guy said that even though Barry put up big numbers, the Lions would never win with him.
He explained that Barry moved laterally too much. In a typical game, they would give Barry the ball and he would run for 2 yds, give it again for a yard, incomplete pass and then punt. Somewhere in the game, Barry would break loose for an 80 yard TD.
At the end of the game, Barry would have 20 carries for 100 yards and a touchdown for an average of 5yds a carry. But if you took away the 80 yard TD, he had 19 carries for 20 yards.
So even though he got a big TD run, his numbers on other carries killed drives for the rest of the day and the Lions would lose.

Walter Payton (no need for supporting comments)

Barry Sanders (did it with NO help at all from o-line)

Jim Brown (although I'd like to have seen what he could do if he'd have finished his career, much like Barry)

Emmitt - even though he had the best o-line and fullback in history, and one of the greatest passing games ever to help set up his running game

Marshall Faulk - I could have easily put him higher, but I gave Emitt over him because of stats alone.

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

Bo Jackson - just because of the potential he had

I want to put Jamal Lewis in for honorable mention.

See I think Erik Williams and Larry Allen had a lot to do with Emmitt's success. I can only imagine what Dorsett could have done with the O-line emmitt had. I might put dorsett ahead of emmitt.
Except.... When Emmitt was out Dallas' running game was nonexistent, for some reason. Each and every time he was out.

Jim Brown (although I'd like to have seen what he could do if he'd have finished his career, much like Barry)

Emmitt - even though he had the best o-line and fullback in history, and one of the greatest passing games ever to help set up his running game

Marshall Faulk - I could have easily put him higher, but I gave Emitt over him because of stats alone.

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

I want to put Jamal Lewis in for honorable mention, and also Curtis Martin, THE MOST underrated running back in football history.

We're you on the voting committee for Obama's nobel prize? :lol:

Living on the east coast, I only got to see Barry Sanders on Thanksgiving and ESPN highlights. I was usually impressed.
Shortly after Barry retired, I was sitting in a Chicago airport bar next to a guy from Detroit. I told him I hoped Barry would reconsider his retirement and the guy said that even though Barry put up big numbers, the Lions would never win with him.
He explained that Barry moved laterally too much. In a typical game, they would give Barry the ball and he would run for 2 yds, give it again for a yard, incomplete pass and then punt. Somewhere in the game, Barry would break loose for an 80 yard TD.
At the end of the game, Barry would have 20 carries for 100 yards and a touchdown for an average of 5yds a carry. But if you took away the 80 yard TD, he had 19 carries for 20 yards.
So even though he got a big TD run, his numbers on other carries killed drives for the rest of the day and the Lions would lose.

I don't buy that entirely. Barry didn't have great straight line speed. I've seen him caught from behind on numerous occasions. Barry's strength was in finding holes at the line of scrimmage. Barry did move laterally a lot, but Detroit's lack of a quality passing attack (despite a great receiver in Herman Moore) meant that laterally was often the only option.

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

See I think Erik Williams and Larry Allen had a lot to do with Emmitt's success. I can only imagine what Dorsett could have done with the O-line emmitt had. I might put dorsett ahead of emmitt.
Except.... When Emmitt was out Dallas' running game was nonexistent, for some reason. Each and every time he was out.

agreed. I remember his holdout. He just shouldn't be in the top five imo.

Jim Brown DID finish his career...he walked away on top and on his own terms...

He was the best, no one else is a close second IMO...In 2002, he was named by The Sporting News as the greatest professional football player ever!

AND, he was a better Lacrosse player than a football player...

Look up Tough in the dictionary...Jim Brown's picture appears next to the description.

138.jpg

Perhaps more impressive was his success as a multi-sport athlete. In addition to his football accomplishments, he excelled in basketball, track, and especially lacrosse. As a sophomore, he was the second leading scorer for the basketball team (15 ppg), and earned a letter on the track team. His junior year, he averaged 11.3 points in basketball, and was named a second-team All-American in lacrosse. His senior year, he was named a first-team All-American in lacrosse (43 goals in 10 games to rank second in scoring nationally).
wiki

Lax_HOF_logo.png

Considered by many to be the greatest to ever play the game of lacrosse, Jim Brown began his lacrosse career at Manhasset High School in New York where his midfield play earned him All-Star honors for three years.

At Syracuse University, Brown's all-around athletic ability became evident, as he lettered in four sports and was voted the school's Athlete of the Year in 1956-57. Brown was a Second Team All-American Selection in 1956, and earned First Team Honors in 1957, finishing second in the nation in scoring his senior year. Many believe his last game was his greatest moment as a lacrosse player, as Brown scored five goals in one-half of play against the nation's top players in the 1957 Collegiate North/South All-Star game.

Brown went on to achieve great success with the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League, and was elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971. Although he is best remembered for his gridiron exploits, Brown is quoted as having said, "I'd rather play lacrosse six days a week and football on the seventh."

No argument here that Jim Brown was the best ever...Bar None

Dickerson

Dorsett

Sayers

OJ

Who were his replacements though?

I'm trying to remember...Mostly Sherman Williams if I remember correctly.

Not exactly a hall of famer :lol:

Or Tommy Agee...

Or Lincoln Coleman.

I had to look those up rather than remember them....even though the only ones who've seen more Cowboys games than me live in TX...because they SUCK.

I remember Williams mostly, though. He was ok.

I give more credit to Emmitt for his ability, regardless of his line, than I EVER will for Aikman.

My GRANDMOTHER could have put up Aikman numbers. Creating holes for a RB is one thing, besides Emmitt having Moose...But that o-line gave Aikman time to shit, shower, and shave before he even performed his check-downs, not to mention having those receivers...including Irvin, who was at the time ALLOWED to push off and create separation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back