Top 10 QB Of All Time

(1) T. Brady - I think he will still be on top of his game 3 years from now.
(2) A. Rodgers - A young John Elway, the sky is the limit for him
(3) M. Vick - I think this is just the start of the run and gun Vick
(4) P. Manning - I think over the next few season he will slide a little, but still play at elite status. Sliding for Manning is not playing a flawless god-like level.
(5) P. Rivers - Simply a great QB, not many will deny that.
(6) M. Ryan - He proved this year he is one of the game's elites
(7) D. Brees - Still great despite the loss to the Seahawks.
(8) B. Roethlisberger - When he isn't beating and raping women he is winning playoff games. One of the most clutch players in NFL history.
t(9)&(10) M. Schaub/J. Flacco/T. Romo (Call me a pussy, but I can't distinguish who is better)

That's a pretty good list. It's got most of the names that are expected. Bradshaw was a surprise though. I think the benefit from his team-mates is disproportionate to what the others on the list received.

The hardest thing about these goat lists in football is that the game has hyper evolved over the past half century. Not just the way the rules are enforced, but also the athleticism at all positions has been a rising tide.

I think some of the great qbs from the fifties and sixties would get eaten alive by the secondaries and linebackers in today's game. And some of the medicore quarterbacks in today's game could have significant success in the game back then, if you transplanted them in a time machine right now.

It's the context of the time. Maybe Tarkenton, Unitas, and Starr should be on a separate list from Montana, Brady, and Elway. I think it's better justice to all involved if the players are measured against their peers.

Of all the mainstream pro team sports in the country, I think baseball withstands the test of time the best. Koufax's curve would still make today's players look goofy with the bat, and The Kid would still be an elite hitter against today's pitchers.

All speculation, but it sounds about right. :D
Plug Tarkenton into a modern west coast offense.

Montana, Marino and Elway may well have had to combine their stats to top him....Hell, all his incompletions had to be thrown at somebody, rather than him just scampering out of the tackle box and throwing it away.

Tarks Super Bowl record denies him a place among the elite QBs of all-time.

Just below the top echelon. Love his politics though -probably a Tea Party Member today.

Marino belongs on sheer can't deny-passing stats.

Also belongs on the all-overrated team -along with Peyton Manning and some others....................

(1) Tom Brady - 3 rings and counting. Let a team to 16-0 and nearly the perfect season. He is awesome.

(2) Joe Montana - Big Game Joe is probably #1 on everyone list but mine.

(3) John Elway - A childhood fav of mine. Arm strength, accuracy, amazing athlete and great speed.

(4) Peyton Manning - He is awesome

(5) Dan Marino - Everyone knocks him for his post-season records, but his awesomeness is undeniable. Most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history

(6) Johnny Unitas - Deferring to my grandfather who always state Unitas was the best ever.

(7) Terry Bradshaw - 4 rings, nuff said

(8) Joe Namath - Great QB when not drinking

(9) Steve Young - John Elway, but just not as good

(10) Brett Farve - Too many Int, but the Iron Man is undeniably great
I just remember Decon Jones talking about how he got by many a guard by belting him on the ear hole of his helmet and trying to knock him out. Their bell got rung hard enough he just scooted by to go helmet to helmet with the QB.

Then there was Mean Joe Greene who talked about having no problems clotheslineing a running back.

I remember one safety, I think Ronnie Lott, who talked about just waiting for the moment to go for a wide reciever's gut at mid leap for those crossing patterns and blowing them up in mid air to send them tumbling to the turf.

No, the numbers of modern quarterbacks are very much enhanced by protections given to the offense in which to make the game exciting. Days of the 6-3 victories are slowly fading.

I can't say that Tom Brady is number 1. That's homer talk as I see it. Honestly, no active quarterback in the league should even be talked about yet. Carson Palmer in 2005 would have been considered one of the best by that standard, but today... not so much.

Marino belongs on sheer can't deny-passing stats.

Also belongs on the all-overrated team -along with Peyton Manning and some others....................
Most of which have been superseded by other quarterbacks now... mostly Favre, but...

But if you go with retired QBs, you'd have to consider including:

Starr
Blanda
Tarkington (superbowls or no)
Unitas
Bradshaw
Montana
Young
Elway
Favre (yes he's done)

Then you also have other greats who never won the big one and had phenomenal statslike:

Cunningham (Before Vick, he was the ultimate rushing QB)
Moon (include his CFL numbers and wow!)
Fouts (Air Coryell wouldn't have been possible)
Kelly (come ON he was great!)
Theismann (A field marshal almost on par with Montana)

You can also consider Aikman as well potentially but like Jim McMahon, he had an ultra talented cast around him to feed off of.

But to be honest, Brady should be fighting for a spot at around #10, not slotted automatically #1. As a Packer fan, even I'm not so arrogant to put Favre there, OR Starr.

Last edited:
I can't say "for all-time" because I never saw all the quarterbacks play.

The best QBs I ever saw play were

Joe Montana
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Dan Marino
Brett Favre
John Elway

I heard one pundit the other day make a very compelling argument that Johnny Unitas was a better QB than Brady. Unitas won three SBs and his statistics are far better.

Behind Dayrle Lamonica and Ken Stabler

Yet got named the AP Athlete of the Year for 1970.

Right Place at the Right Time....................

How abut Ken Stabler - winingest QB in the NFL in the 1970s

Maybe best pure passer ever....................

Totaly out-played Tark in the1977 Super Bowl

How abut Ken Stabler - winingest QB in the NFL in the 1970s

Maybe best pure passer ever....................

Totaly out-played Tark in the1977 Super Bowl
True, I thought about the Snake as well... Oh hell. How about Bernie Kosar? He made the Browns a powerhouse in the 1980's who just couldn't get it over the hump. The only guy who's been screwed by history worse than Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, and still was a great quarterback.

Ken Anderson of the Bengals was pretty damn good too. Went and lost 2 superbowls.

Doug Williams. First black QB to win a Superbowl who had a damn fine arm to boot.

Phil Simms was a good field general too. Did he have just one or two rings to his name back when the Giant, Redskins and Niners seemed to just trade turns as champions.

No Aikmen? I'd throw him in the top twenty, top ten if ego head Jones wouldn't have fired Johnson. Cowboys would probably have won four in row if it weren't for Jones ego.

Warren Moon.

Put Washington football back on the map.

Beat heavily favored Michigan in the 1978 Rose Bowl

NFL HOF.

Forum List

Back