Top 10 Conservatives

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
Here is my list of the Top 10 Conservative candidates for president. I have attempted to rank them on the basis of core Conservative philosophy and principles and disregard individual ideologies. This is sometimes problematic when there is a clash between individual ideology and true conservatism. In some cases it may cost a candidate a few points because they have a problem with conflicting principles and because the list is supposed to be Conservatives that is the default in evaluation. Feel free to disagree, this is just where my personal score card has it based on what I've seen.

1. Ted Cruz
The most Reagan-like conservative in the race. Makes very sound and well-reasoned arguments for core conservative principles, doesn't budge or hesitate and doesn't back down. He scores a solid 99%

2. Ben Carson

Very much a principled conservative who articulates the conservative philosophy in his viewpoints well. He may be slightly less outspoken than Cruz on the issues but the man thinks with a conservative mind. He scores 97%

3. Rick Santorum

A solid conservative voice. Perhaps a little too driven by social conservative ideology, he is still a strong and articulate advocate of Conservatism. He scores a solid 96%

4. Bobby Jindal

Very solid conservative philosophy and record. Makes very good reasoned arguments for the conservative message but maybe lacks the gravitas of name recognition of some others He gets a score of 94%

5. Donald Trump

He has previously taken very non-conservative positions on issues but he has never really been liberal. Most of what he is currently saying is right out of the Ronald Reagan play book. Whether or not it's just a good sales job remains to be seen but I believe the man is a principled Conservative in his views. He scores a respectable 92%

6. Marco Rubio

Another consistent conservative thinker. He is kind of like the male Latino version of Carly Fiorina. He is a little too 'touchy-feely' for me... reminds me of Bush's "compassionate conservatism" a bit. He scores 89%

7. Carly Fiorina

A fairly consistent conservative in a very blue state. She makes sound arguments for core conservative principles but may be a little to the Neocon side of the spectrum ideologically. She scores 88%

8. Rand Paul
He would score considerably higher if not for the strong libertarian ideological rhetoric. He is like the Thomas Paine of our time. Much of his ideological message is rooted in core conservative principles. He suffers a bit for being so passionate about personal ideology. He gets a score of 82%

9. Mike Huckabee

Very much a social conservative, he talks a good game. He is not as fiscally conservative which is the problem with most social conservatives. It is this conflict between his strong social conservative principles and the core philosophy of conservatism that knocks him down several notches in my book. He scores 75%

10. Chris Christie

Another blue state conservative who is probably more of a centrist in terms of philosophy. He doesn't really seem to grasp what conservative philosophy is about and can't genuinely articulate it. He scores 60%

Nicely done. I would have rated some of them slightly differently but not enough to argue over. I'm curious, did Christie make the list because you needed one more to make ten? I'd give him a score of 50% myself...

Nicely done. I would have rated some of them slightly differently but not enough to argue over. I'm curious, did Christie make the list because you needed one more to make ten? I'd give him a score of 50% myself...

Yeah, sort of. I found that when I got to the #10 spot it was down to which one of the remaining candidates seemed to have a conservative bone in their body. I deliberated over Christie, Kasich and Bush for a long time before finally settling on Christie. I think he did a pretty good job of being a Conservative in a very blue state and that gave him a slight advantage over the other two. You are probably right about the 50%, I was trying to be generous. ;)

boss has no clear grasp of conservatism.

He cannot grasp whether its a philosophy, an ideology, or a process, when it fact, it is all three.

Trump is a rabid Progressive Statist, maybe 30 or 35% Conservative, if that.

add the all up and what do you have ?

10 LOSERS !

nice try though.

BAAAAWWWAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He cannot grasp whether its a philosophy, an ideology, or a process, when it fact, it is all three.

Yet you have no ability to articulate where he got it wrong except showing your hate for Trump.

No need to demonstrate your ignorance in this thread too. We've discussed this already. Conservatism is not an abstraction. It is a philosophy which can encompass many ideas and viewpoints. This is illustrated by objectively looking at the difference between libertarian conservatives and social conservatives. Any reasonable and rational person can see this.

Now... Let me explain why goofballs like YOU reject my definition. It's because you've created a false Frankenstein ideology of Conservatism and that's what you promote your Liberalism against. Without the "monster" ideology you created, you can't sell your own ideology. So you instinctively know you have to keep the myth alive.

No need to demonstrate your ignorance in this thread too. We've discussed this already. Conservatism is not an abstraction. It is a philosophy which can encompass many ideas and viewpoints. This is illustrated by objectively looking at the difference between libertarian conservatives and social conservatives. Any reasonable and rational person can see this.

Now... Let me explain why goofballs like YOU reject my definition. It's because you've created a false Frankenstein ideology of Conservatism and that's what you promote your Liberalism against. Without the "monster" ideology you created, you can't sell your own ideology. So you instinctively know you have to keep the myth alive.

BULL CRAPPPPPPPPP ... RW fringe groups have created a Frankenstein ideology of Conservatism ... very few Conservatives exist in this country anymore, it's more about anti government morons slobbering about patriot this and that than it is ANYTHING !

bullshit thread, case closed.

Yet you have no ability to articulate where he got it wrong except showing your hate for Trump.
Who? boss is an ass, as you are. Trump is a chronic liar who despises women, the disabled, Moslems, veterans, the Constitution, and the American people. Do you really think the people are that stupid, to elect an idiot fascist like him?

Last edited:

Who? boss is an ass, as you are. Trump is a chronic liar who despises women, the disabled, Moslems, veterans the Constitution, and the American people. Do you really think the people are that stupid, to elect an idiot fascist like him?

And you're a senile, pretend republican, regressivecrat. Tell me, why did you chose to attack a person in the middle of the list instead of those at the top?

Yes, you are a goofball. Conservatism is an ideology, a process, and a philosophy. Trump fails. He is a monster Progressive Statist, no conservative.

Preview

Here is my list of the Top 10 Conservative candidates for president. I have attempted to rank them on the basis of core Conservative philosophy and principles and disregard individual ideologies. This is sometimes problematic when there is a clash between individual ideology and true conservatism. In some cases it may cost a candidate a few points because they have a problem with conflicting principles and because the list is supposed to be Conservatives that is the default in evaluation. Feel free to disagree, this is just where my personal score card has it based on what I've seen.

1. Ted Cruz
The most Reagan-like conservative in the race. Makes very sound and well-reasoned arguments for core conservative principles, doesn't budge or hesitate and doesn't back down. He scores a solid 99%

2. Ben Carson

Very much a principled conservative who articulates the conservative philosophy in his viewpoints well. He may be slightly less outspoken than Cruz on the issues but the man thinks with a conservative mind. He scores 97%

3. Rick Santorum

A solid conservative voice. Perhaps a little too driven by social conservative ideology, he is still a strong and articulate advocate of Conservatism. He scores a solid 96%

4. Bobby Jindal

Very solid conservative philosophy and record. Makes very good reasoned arguments for the conservative message but maybe lacks the gravitas of name recognition of some others He gets a score of 94%

5. Donald Trump

He has previously taken very non-conservative positions on issues but he has never really been liberal. Most of what he is currently saying is right out of the Ronald Reagan play book. Whether or not it's just a good sales job remains to be seen but I believe the man is a principled Conservative in his views. He scores a respectable 92%

6. Marco Rubio

Another consistent conservative thinker. He is kind of like the male Latino version of Carly Fiorina. He is a little too 'touchy-feely' for me... reminds me of Bush's "compassionate conservatism" a bit. He scores 89%

7. Carly Fiorina

A fairly consistent conservative in a very blue state. She makes sound arguments for core conservative principles but may be a little to the Neocon side of the spectrum ideologically. She scores 88%

8. Rand Paul
He would score considerably higher if not for the strong libertarian ideological rhetoric. He is like the Thomas Paine of our time. Much of his ideological message is rooted in core conservative principles. He suffers a bit for being so passionate about personal ideology. He gets a score of 82%

9. Mike Huckabee

Very much a social conservative, he talks a good game. He is not as fiscally conservative which is the problem with most social conservatives. It is this conflict between his strong social conservative principles and the core philosophy of conservatism that knocks him down several notches in my book. He scores 75%

10. Chris Christie

Another blue state conservative who is probably more of a centrist in terms of philosophy. He doesn't really seem to grasp what conservative philosophy is about and can't genuinely articulate it. He scores 60%
Not a single "conservative" in the list...

Not a single "conservative" in the list...

Well it's nice of you to explain what you define as a conservative. We were all sitting here waiting to know because you are the resident genius here. I have to say, your wisdom and insight on this has been refreshing and well-thought-out. No wonder everyone genuflects toward your brilliance!
:rofl:

Yes, you are a goofball. Conservatism is an ideology, a process, and a philosophy. Trump fails. He is a monster Progressive Statist, no conservative.

Aww poor Jakey... I see you've now modified your previous argument that conservatism is an ideology. After me handing your ass to you in another thread about this, you've now decided that conservatism encompasses a lot of things other than rigid ideology. That is progress, I suppose.

Of course, now you want to argue Trump is a "progressive statist" (which is what YOU are) but you're not explaining why you're not a big Trump supporter nor are you explaining any policy position he has taken to demonstrate his progressive statism. Therefore, you allegation comes across as a knee-jerk reactionary response because you're too stupid to do much else.

"Top 10 Conservatives"

Each of whom are wrong on most – if not all – the issues.

And the likes of Cruz and Carson represent the bane of the social right and the wrongheaded extremism of the TPM.

Poor boss, thinking he can get away calling conservative anything he wants to call it. I have changed nothing: it is a process, an ideology, and a philosophy.

boss cannot even define progressive statism, which is the mark of Trump: big government, big nativism, big ethnocentrism, big hate, the Big Lie.

Forum List

Back