Top 10 Conservative Legislative Priorities

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Top 10 Conservative Legislative Priorities for 2006
By: Rep. Mike Pence
02/28/06

As the challenging midterm elections approach, House conservatives recognize that you cannot beat a national trend without a national agenda.

As the majority of the majority, House conservatives believe that the remainder of the 109th Congress should be dedicated to affirming our commitment to limited government, fiscal discipline and traditional moral values and the Republican Study Committee Top 10 is designed to do just that.

While this is not an exhaustive list, the fiscal and social policy reforms included in the RSC Top 10 comprise the nucleus of issues that minted this majority. Acting on the RSC Top 10 is the best hope for renewing the confidence of the American people in our commitment to fiscal discipline and reform.

10. Pass legislation that stops the raid on the Social Security Trust Fund and allows Americans to own a Personal Social Security Account.

9. Pass Protections for Religious Freedom, such as the Pledge of Allegiance, the Ten Commandments, and religious expression in the public square.

8. Defend the Sanctity of Human Life, which includes banning all human cloning, passing the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, promoting ethical adult stem cell research, and preventing federal funding for destructive embryonic stem cell research.

7. Offset all emergency supplemental spending with spending reductions and offset all new programs with simultaneous, equivalent reductions in, or eliminations of, existing programs.

6. Pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to put our fiscal house in order.

5. Pass the Marriage Protection Amendment, to ensure that marriage, the union of a woman and a man as husband and wife, is not redefined by activist judges.

4. Pass Ethics Reform that requires transparency and earmark reform that permits Members of Congress to strike earmarks on the House floor.

3. Pass another Deficit Reduction Bill in the form of budget reconciliation, to reign in autopilot spending, which has risen from 25% of all federal spending in 1963 to 54% today, and is expected to reach nearly 60% in 2014.

2. Pass Budget Process Reform, which includes budgeting for emergencies with a rainy day fund, instituting a sunset commission for federal programs, instituting a constitutional line-item veto, and making the budget resolution carry the force of law.

1. Make the Tax Cuts Permanent, including the repeal of the marriage-tax penalty and the death tax and pass fundamental tax reform.

Congressman Pence, chairman of the Republican Study Committee, represents the 6th District of Indiana in the U.S. House of Representatives.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com

With a 34% approval rating, Bush is not going to be able to do much at home. The Congress has become gridlocked.

Kathianne said:
With a 34% approval rating, Bush is not going to be able to do much at home. The Congress has become gridlocked.

Don't believe the media orgasms over their own fixed polls.

Interesting list, but terrorism, the Patriot Act, and national security don't even make the top ten?

I guess forcing conservative religious views and gutting social programs are more important. Now we know the true priorities of the Republican Party.

acludem

acludem said:
Interesting list, but terrorism, the Patriot Act, and national security don't even make the top ten?

I guess forcing conservative religious views and gutting social programs are more important. Now we know the true priorities of the Republican Party.

acludem

And the Democrats are the party of national security?!? :laugh:

acludem said:

If you haven't noticed, those items are being dealt with on an almost daily basis and have been for most of George W.'s presidency.

Congressman Pence has indicated that those items selected for the 2006 legislative session are additional items that are going to be put on the plate.

acludem said:

acludem

Yeah. Imagine that. People elect Republicans and Republicans try and put thier social agenda into action. Bizarro World. You lefties would gain alot of credibility if you didn't act like banning abortion procedures was the same thing as making the Book of Leviticus an ammendment to the Constitution. As it is, you like shreiking loons.

acludem said:

acludem

Yes. Gut social programs. There's too many of them that have been put into place over the years by democrats. This isn't China, or North Korea, or Cuba.

Adam's Apple said:
Top 10 Conservative Legislative Priorities for 2006
By: Rep. Mike Pence
02/28/06

As the challenging midterm elections approach, House conservatives recognize that you cannot beat a national trend without a national agenda.

As the majority of the majority, House conservatives believe that the remainder of the 109th Congress should be dedicated to affirming our commitment to limited government, fiscal discipline and traditional moral values and the Republican Study Committee Top 10 is designed to do just that.

While this is not an exhaustive list, the fiscal and social policy reforms included in the RSC Top 10 comprise the nucleus of issues that minted this majority. Acting on the RSC Top 10 is the best hope for renewing the confidence of the American people in our commitment to fiscal discipline and reform.

10. Pass legislation that stops the raid on the Social Security Trust Fund and allows Americans to own a Personal Social Security Account.

The term raid is ridicilous since the GOp controls both houses. The Personal account seems to benefit the rich imo.

9. Pass Protections for Religious Freedom, such as the Pledge of Allegiance, the Ten Commandments, and religious expression in the public square.
Its not religious freedom when you protect only christian rights, as an atheist i do not support under god or the Ten commandments as part of the government ideology. In public square right now you can be christian all you want, since 80% are christians, and only christians can be elected president it is more a statement to extend christian propaganda imo.

8. Defend the Sanctity of Human Life, which includes banning all human cloning, passing the Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, promoting ethical adult stem cell research, and preventing federal funding for destructive embryonic stem cell research.
I support an ethical agenda on human genetics in general. No abortions because someone would be handicapped etc. Human life has to be protected.
While at it ban the torture of our enemies. It does not help spreading democracy and alienates possible allies. The information you torture out of low level terrorist is not worth the hypocricy of torturing to promote freedom.

7. Offset all emergency supplemental spending with spending reductions and offset all new programs with simultaneous, equivalent reductions in, or eliminations of, existing programs.

a balanced budget should be the only consideration.

6. Pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to put our fiscal house in order.

Yes see 5

5. Pass the Marriage Protection Amendment, to ensure that marriage, the union of a woman and a man as husband and wife, is not redefined by activist judges.
It does not affect married people if faggots can marry. Call it civil union and lets call it a compromise. Otherwise its just hating on gays.

4. Pass Ethics Reform that requires transparency and earmark reform that permits Members of Congress to strike earmarks on the House floor.

I support that

3. Pass another Deficit Reduction Bill in the form of budget reconciliation, to reign in autopilot spending, which has risen from 25% of all federal spending in 1963 to 54% today, and is expected to reach nearly 60% in 2014.

Yes, all programs should be reviewd sunset clause applied to all of them

2. Pass Budget Process Reform, which includes budgeting for emergencies with a rainy day fund, instituting a sunset commission for federal programs, instituting a constitutional line-item veto, and making the budget resolution carry the force of law.

1. Make the Tax Cuts Permanent, including the repeal of the marriage-tax penalty and the death tax and pass fundamental tax reform.

No thats just a limited agenda that should submit to the balanced budget
goal.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com

I entered my thoughts on the proposals. Take em apart .

Thanks for the input. Now that you know what the legislative agenda is going to be, you should make your views on those items known to your elected Congressman/woman. I think each item on this agenda is worthy of a national debate.

Regarding the Social Security Trust Fund, with the retirement of the "Baby Boomers", this is a big problem looming not too many years down the road which is going to have to be solved. If Congress doesn't like the Bush Administration's proposed establishing of personal retirement accounts, then they should come up with some alternative proposals for people to consider. It does absolutely no good to bury our heads in the sand and pretend there is no problem. This is not a problem created for political expedience, as the Democrats would like us to believe. It is real, and now is the time to work on the solution, not when the system crashes.

theim said:
Don't believe the media orgasms over their own fixed polls.
I figure this is an outlier, yet I agree with the sentiments. Whatever it is the current administration 'represents' it isn't me.

Forum List

Back