Top 10 Athletes of ALL Time

Jim Thorpe might have the distiction of being the greatest modern athelete.

A story circulating in Lafayette college (Easton, PA) sports history.

Lafayette was having a track meet and was hosting against various college teams including the Carlisle Indian Industrial School.

Representatives from Lafayette team went down to the train station to meet the visitors.

Jim Thorpe got off the train.

"Where's the rest if the team" they asked?

He's it, came the response from Carlisle Indian Industrial School's coach.

Carlisle Indian Industrial School won that track meet against Lafayette and various other local colleges.

I don't know if that's just an apocraphal story or not. I heard it many times from many sources though..including the Easton Express' sports editor.

But I do know that Thorpe often competed in multiple events including long distance running, sprinting, javelin, discus, throwing the hammer and so forth.

The man was truly gifted, folks.

He was a renaissance athelete.

Last edited:
Keep in mind this is from Fox Sports! :lol:

Their #1 is Michael Jordan.

The rest are here:

MLB - Top 10 athletes of all time - Number 0 - FOX Sports on MSN

What names would you take out, and add instead?

60% of the people named, including the top 3, are black- a number disproportionate to the general population. This is proof that the the link is racist :lol:

Since, you know, there are no racial differences in innate mental or physical potential :lol::lol::cuckoo:

I'm waiting for Yukon to show up and make us laugh

tennis players and discuss throwers?!?!

At least Thorpe did the pentathalon and decathalon.

An all around athlete should have physical prowess along with skill. Throwing a discuss as hard as you can isn't showcasing much skill, and tennis is a physically tiring sport agreed, but it's more about agility and reaction time than physical power. I would take Kournakova over Drago any day.

Lacrosse, football, and hockey incorporate all those aspects.
Hard hitting, lots of running or skating, talent and skill are required to dodge, pass, and shoot. Winning is also more important in these sports. Most track and field competitors can have a bad run or toss and still come back and win. If you have a bad game in the other sports it could mean the championship. Great athletes are winners.

Keep in mind this is from Fox Sports! :lol:

Their #1 is Michael Jordan.

The rest are here:

MLB - Top 10 athletes of all time - Number 0 - FOX Sports on MSN

60% of the people named, including the top 3, are black- a number disproportionate to the general population. This is proof that the the link is racist :lol:

90% of the people named, including the top 7, are north american - a number disproportionate to the general population. This is proof that the link is....erm....north american.

An all around athlete should have physical prowess along with skill. Throwing a discuss as hard as you can isn't showcasing much skill, and tennis is a physically tiring sport agreed, but it's more about agility and reaction time than physical power. I would take Kournakova over Drago any day.

Hard hitting, lots of running or skating, talent and skill are required to dodge, pass, and shoot. Winning is also more important in these sports. Most track and field competitors can have a bad run or toss and still come back and win. If you have a bad game in the other sports it could mean the championship. Great athletes are winners.

Nice try. Taking one example, the Red Wings lost 30 games last year and won the Stanley Cup.

And there's a lot of hitting and running in tennis, though usually no skating.

I meant one player hitting another with his body
in the regular season, they went 4-0 against the pens in the finals. I was referring to the playoffs, which the olympics really are, with winning being important. Also tennis allows you to lose a game or a set and still win the match.

I meant one player hitting another with his body

yeah, I know, I was just msiing about.

in the regular season, they went 4-0 against the pens in the finals. I was referring to the playoffs, which the olympics really are, with winning being important. Also tennis allows you to lose a game or a set and still win the match.

6 of the Wings losses came in the playoffs.

There are discus throwers and then there's Al Oerter. That was my point. Rink Babka was a discus thrower (not having a shot at him, he was very, very good), Al Oerter was simply the best at it and in winning four consecutive gold medals with world records each time, one with severe rib damage, marks him as the greatest and one of the finest athletes of all time.

Al Oerter - Olympian, Artist, Gentleman

Last edited:

There are discus throwers and then there's Al Oerter. That was my point. Rink Babka was a discus thrower (not having a shot at him, he was very, very good), Al Oerter was simply the best at it and in winning four consecutive gold medals with world records each time, one with severe rib damage, marks him as the greatest and one of the finest athletes of all time.

Al Oerter - Olympian, Artist, Gentleman

Very true. Oerter was to discus what Ed Moses was to 400m hurdles, or Sergey Bubka was to Pole Vault.

If one defines great athletes by the way they totally dominate their particular sport over a period of many years (which appears to be the rationale for Jordan being at Number 1), these 3 deserve to be high up on that list.

Currently, the Williams sisters have speed, agility, reaction time and power on the women's side. The problems they've had have been as a result of lack of focus on only tennis, IMO. Federer and Nadal are just two that have all those on the men's side.

Currently, the Williams sisters have speed, agility, reaction time and power on the women's side. The problems they've had have been as a result of lack of focus on only tennis, IMO. Federer and Nadal are just two that have all those on the men's side.

it's strange the way that every few years someone comes along who utterly dominates tennis for a few years, only to be replaced by someone new. It's getting dull.

The 70s were awesome for tennis. There were some great characters and somebody new seemed to win every year. More exciting that way, IMO.

it's strange the way that every few years someone comes along who utterly dominates tennis for a few years, only to be replaced by someone new. It's getting dull.

The 70s were awesome for tennis. There were some great characters and somebody new seemed to win every year. More exciting that way, IMO.

The women's game is more so than the men's right now. Lots of competition -- they just don't all win the Grand Slams.

Forum List

Back