Toothless Texas inmates denied dentures in state prison

Nonsense ^

From Novitas website...

If you submit a claim for items or services furnished to a Medicare bene ciary who is in custody (or incarcerated) on the DOS, the claim will be denied. You or your billing agent will receive a Remittance Advice (RA) that explains the denial. An RA Remittance Advice Remark Code (RARC) further explains an adjustment or relays informational messages that cannot be expressed with a claim adjustment reason code.

When denying claims for services furnished to Medicare bene ciaries under penal custody, the RA will include RARC N103 (in addition to RA language already in use):

“Records indicate this patient was a prisoner or in custody of a Federal, State, or local authority when the service was rendered. This payer does not cover items and services furnished to an individual while he or she is in custody under a penal statute or rule, unless under State or local law, the individual is personally liable for the cost of his or her health care while in custody and the State or local government pursues the collection of such debt in the same way and with the same vigor as the collection of its other debts. The provider can collect from the Federal/State/Local Authority as appropriate.”

Okay, but forgetting about Medicare and Medicaid or other subsidized insurance - Your claim was that "the government doesn't cover medical for incarcerated people".
Simply not true - if you are injured, have a heart attack, or get cancer - whether it be the state or the feds who pays for it .. they are not allowed to just let you die.
They will treat you at the hospital. Then they will either charge you for it OR submit the charges to see if they qualify for an Indigent fund adjustment. In rare cases the local county ( if they have funds) will pick up charges and then collect from the inmate later.

They don't always treat people at the hospital. Where I worked there was an inmate that had HIV that received treatment. They regularly did TB tests... nothing major there, but by law they are required to provide medical care. If they don't it is a violation of the 8th Amendment.
Correct. The hospital will treat you. But the bill either goes to the inmate or the hospital writes it off as a loss. The government doesn't pay for it.

Inmates get treatment on many things that don't require them to go to the hospital and they are not charged for it.

From Novitas website...

If you submit a claim for items or services furnished to a Medicare bene ciary who is in custody (or incarcerated) on the DOS, the claim will be denied. You or your billing agent will receive a Remittance Advice (RA) that explains the denial. An RA Remittance Advice Remark Code (RARC) further explains an adjustment or relays informational messages that cannot be expressed with a claim adjustment reason code.

When denying claims for services furnished to Medicare bene ciaries under penal custody, the RA will include RARC N103 (in addition to RA language already in use):

“Records indicate this patient was a prisoner or in custody of a Federal, State, or local authority when the service was rendered. This payer does not cover items and services furnished to an individual while he or she is in custody under a penal statute or rule, unless under State or local law, the individual is personally liable for the cost of his or her health care while in custody and the State or local government pursues the collection of such debt in the same way and with the same vigor as the collection of its other debts. The provider can collect from the Federal/State/Local Authority as appropriate.”

Okay, but forgetting about Medicare and Medicaid or other subsidized insurance - Your claim was that "the government doesn't cover medical for incarcerated people".
Simply not true - if you are injured, have a heart attack, or get cancer - whether it be the state or the feds who pays for it .. they are not allowed to just let you die.
They will treat you at the hospital. Then they will either charge you for it OR submit the charges to see if they qualify for an Indigent fund adjustment. In rare cases the local county ( if they have funds) will pick up charges and then collect from the inmate later.

They don't always treat people at the hospital. Where I worked there was an inmate that had HIV that received treatment. They regularly did TB tests... nothing major there, but by law they are required to provide medical care. If they don't it is a violation of the 8th Amendment.
Correct. The hospital will treat you. But the bill either goes to the inmate or the hospital writes it off as a loss. The government doesn't pay for it.

Inmates get treatment on many things that don't require them to go to the hospital and they are not charged for it.
They get billed...now...if they pay for it is another matter. Or like I said...if the inmate qualifies the hospital will eat the charges via an indigent fund.

Some inmates swallow glass and other foreign objects just to get admitted to the hospital. You see all kinds of crazy stuff with incarcerated individuals.

Right now I'm am just speaking to hospital charges. I'm not as familiar with physician billing. But the Medicare/Medicaid rules are the same for both.

They get billed...now...if they pay for it is another matter. Or like I said...if the inmate qualifies the hospital will eat the charges via an indigent fund.

Some inmates swallow glass and other foreign objects just to get admitted to the hospital. You see all kinds of crazy stuff with incarcerated individuals.

Inmates do not receive a medical bill. I worked at a prison and I know this. It may be different from place to place, but at some places when an inmate is released they may get a per diem bill, but that includes the cost of everything like food, housing, etc.

Inmates do not receive a medical bill. I worked at a prison and I know this. It may be different from place to place, but at some places when an inmate is released they may get a per diem bill, but that includes the cost of everything like food, housing, etc.
Could be included. I do know that the government seeks the collection of money for maintaining any HC coverage these individuals had prior to incarceration so that any medical bills that can get processed and paid....do.

Could be included. I do know that the government seeks the collection of money for maintaining any HC coverage these individuals had prior to incarceration so that any medical bills that can get processed and paid....do.

I'm guessing that these things also vary by state. Don't bet that Texas is known for their compassion toward prisoners.

I'm guessing that these things also vary by state. Don't bet that Texas is known for their compassion toward prisoners.
Only in regards to what funding is available locally. And what they may use it for in relation to incarceration.

So what? Was it not bad decisions which cost him his teeth along with additional bad decisions that landed him in prison? Seems to have been his decision.

When I was a child, I had a lot of earaches. The Doctor’s of the era did what was the standard response. They pumped me full of antibiotics. We did not know, and did not learn until later that the massive doses of antibiotics to children could and would destroy the enamel on their adult teeth. I am not alone with that issue.

So what bad decision on my part caused me to have bad teeth and need dentures? Was it the decision to be born? Or was it my decision to have earaches and allow the doctors of the era to treat me to the best of their ability?
The solution here is that you should never go to doctors.

You know Dean, you’re one of the truly consistent posters. Whenever you post, it’s going to be something dumb. Just as well known racists are going to blame a Black, you are going to post something just as dumb. If I do vote Democratic this November, a possibility, if slim, then it will be in spite of your posts, not because of them. One of the reasons I don’t want to is because so many Democratic Supporters, especially you, are such blithering idiots. I mean, I sometimes wonder if the Nurse has to wipe your chin while you are pounding on the keyboard.

Forum List

Back