Toothless Texas inmates denied dentures in state prison

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Disir, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,994
    For the better part of four years, David Ford has not had much in the way of teeth.

When he first came to state prison, the Houston man had just enough molars to hold in place his partial dentures. But then he lost one tooth to a prison fight and the rest to a dentist.

Now, five years into his stay, Ford has no teeth at all — and no dentures. And, despite his best efforts and insistent requests, he’s been repeatedly denied them and told that teeth are not a medical necessity.

In the Texas prison system, toothless and nearly toothless inmates are routinely denied dentures and instead offered blended food — often regular cafeteria meals simply pureed. Sometimes they’re told they can’t get teeth unless they become underweight, at which point dentures might be considered a “medical necessity.” In 2016, prison medical providers approved giving out 71 dentures to a population of more than 149,000 inmates, many of whom are elderly, have a history of drug use or came from impoverished backgrounds with sub-par dental care to begin with.

It’s a sharp decrease from 15 years ago, when there was still a denture-making program in-house and Texas prison medical practitioners approved more than 1,000 costly dental prosthetics. California, the next-largest prison system, gives out a few thousand dentures in a typical year.

“Generally speaking, someone with no teeth should be offered dentures,” said Dr. Jay Shulman, a Texas A&M adjunct dentistry professor who’s been an expert witness in multiple lawsuits over prison dental issues. “The community standard for dental care has not been applied to prisons.”

More than two dozen toothless and nearly toothless prisoners unable to get dentures in contact with the Chronicle over the last year provided similar accounts: Sometimes, they had their teeth removed in prison with the false promise of dentures ahead. Other times they came in with dentures that broke.

Since a policy change around 2003, once inmates find themselves toothless, there is often little the prison medical staff will do. In other corrections systems, dental care complaints have spilled over into lawsuits — but Texas prison officials in June said they had no immediate plans for change.

“Ultimately, it is a medical decision,” said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jeremy Desel.
    https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

Remember that, folks. Chewing is not a medical necessity.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Markle

Markle Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,277
    So what? Was it not bad decisions which cost him his teeth along with additional bad decisions that landed him in prison? Seems to have been his decision.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,751
    I guess not. Both my mom and dad spent lifetimes not having any medical or dental care. They didn't have a problem eating without teeth.

4. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,157
    Ain't that a bitch.
    A large portion of the population cant afford dental insurance.
    I find it hard to feel sorry for em.
    My dental insurance covered around 6% of my implants all that having to do with extractions.
    The rest cost me around 36k that had to be paid in one year or we'd face huge interest rates on the loan. Thankfully we have yearly checks to cover such expenses.
    Maybe if they hadn't committed crimes they could afford dental procedures that only a percentage of Americans can afford.
    As far as just plane old dentures? You can get hooked up for less than 5k.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,906
    A crack habit, it will take a toll on your teeth.

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Leo123

Leo123 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,824
    Oh brother.....Lots of law abiding citizens can't get dentures, let alone implants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BlueGin

BlueGin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,255
    Dentures are not covered for anyone on government run HC let alone inmates.

The government also generally doesn't cover medical for incarcerated people at all.

8. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,478
    /----/ Well I took care of my teeth my whole life. At 67 I still have most of my natural teeth with the rest being caps and one implant. Oh and I paid for them myself.

9. gulfman

gulfman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Are we being told the tooth,the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. BlueGin

BlueGin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,255
    Dental care is rediculously expensive. Paying for my kids braces cost more than my car. And that was WITH dental insurance that covered 80%.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1