Tool using octopuses

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
A really interesting video with the article.

BBC News - Octopus snatches coconut and runs

An octopus and its coconut-carrying antics have surprised scientists.

Underwater footage reveals that the creatures scoop up halved coconut shells before scampering away with them so they can later use them as shelters.

Writing in the journal Current Biology, the team says it is the first example of tool use in octopuses.

One of the researchers, Dr Julian Finn from Australia's Museum Victoria, told BBC News: "I almost drowned laughing when I saw this the first time."

He added: "I could tell it was going to do something, but I didn't expect this - I didn't expect it would pick up the shell and run away with it."

The octopuses eventually use the shells as a protective shelter. If they just have one half, they simply turn it over and hide underneath. But if they are lucky enough to have retrieved two halves, they assemble them back into the original closed coconut form and sneak inside.

The shells provide important protection for the octopuses in a patch of seabed where there are few places to hide.

Dr Norman explained: "This is an incredibly dangerous habitat for these animals - soft sediment and mud couldn't be worse.

"If they are buried loose in mud without a shell, any predator coming along can just scoop them up. And they are pure rump steak, a terrific meat supply for any predator."

:clap2: YEAH! :clap2:

I love it, who knew Gilligan would save the Octopuses!

I'm telling you, click on that link and read the story, this is great!

Thanks for posting Old Rocks!

Reminds me of this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDay6pg-lmY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDay6pg-lmY[/ame]

Underwater footage reveals that the creatures scoop up halved coconut shells before scampering away with them so they can later use them as shelters.

Writing in the journal Current Biology, the team says it is the first example of tool use in octopuses.

One of the researchers, Dr Julian Finn from Australia's Museum Victoria, told BBC News: "I almost drowned laughing when I saw this the first time."

He added: "I could tell it was going to do something, but I didn't expect this - I didn't expect it would pick up the shell and run away with it."
Octopuses are amazing creatures! We are finding out more and more about animal intelligence and how much smarter many of them are than we previously thought.

Octopuses are amazing creatures! We are finding out more and more about animal intelligence and how much smarter many of them are than we previously thought.

Non-humans don't have politicians-----that should tell ya something right there.

Non-humans don't have politicians-----that should tell ya something right there.
:eusa_hand: I am insulted by that! I was asked to run for public office once and nearly did. :tongue:

:eusa_hand: I am insulted by that! I was asked to run for public office once and nearly did. :tongue:

OMG--Eel lady for dog catcher---I'm glad you took your hat out of the ring.

What will they ever think of next? Wonder how long it took to train that octopus to do that? You know they did it just so they would have a great uTube post.:lol:

Forum List

Back