took the boy to another drive lesson

Sep 12, 2008
And he did very well. We only blew one stop sign.

We got him on highway 10, and he did a good job. I don't think we are ready for rush hour traffic or the freeway yet, but another two lessons or so, and i think we will be there.

Oregon requires 100 hours of driving time before he can apply for his license. (Plus a GPA of 2.5 or better and attendance at school. He has a 3.85 and is taking advanced placement classes. Now worries there)

Some sometime in April, my X's auto insurance should skyrocket.

When my father got his liscence he just paid money.
I just took the test and paid money.
I think my son had to have his permit for 30 days before he could take the test.

Oregon's driving laws were intensively altered for under 21s back in the mid 90s when a drunk driving accident involving 6 teens missing a turn and trying to drive through a massive oak at 80MPH occurred at the start of the legislative session. Teens caught with alcohol can't get a licence till they are 21. You have to be registered in school with a good gpa. ETC.
I think Oregon has the grumpiest teen driving laws in the country. Too many folks were dying of teens with testosterone poisoning.

It would totally suck giving driving lessons now with traffic cameras at every turn catching every mistake & ticketing the vehicle owner.

I don't even think I could pass the drivers test in Western Australia; they act like they are giving out licenses to fly jumbo jets here. (Fortunately they just convert US licenses.

I got mine in Arkansas, we drove up a dirt road, turned around, parked, and that was it in Hot Springs in 1980.

Last edited:
I taught 3 kids how to drive- a stick shift no less. Patience and encouragement.

Re: insurance- offer to pony up a tad.

Yours in formerly divorced financial hell:

Mr. H.

Kids don't want to be there, I don't want them there. She is the one who insists he get a licence over my objections. He would just rather learn from me rather than her.

Anyway. He makes wide turns and he is too close to the right side of the road, but other than that, he is pretty cool. No sign of testosterone poisoning. But he wouldn't show that to me anyway, as I would laugh him out of it.

You know how frustrating it is to not have brakes and a steering wheel on your side of the car? I darn near put my food through the floor a couple times.

And he did very well. We only blew one stop sign.

We got him on highway 10, and he did a good job. I don't think we are ready for rush hour traffic or the freeway yet, but another two lessons or so, and i think we will be there.

Oregon requires 100 hours of driving time before he can apply for his license. (Plus a GPA of 2.5 or better and attendance at school. He has a 3.85 and is taking advanced placement classes. Now worries there)

Some sometime in April, my X's auto insurance should skyrocket.

My insurance doubled when my son came on my plan.
:eek:
Yeah ... like that.

I suggest getting in the car with a teen ready for bridges and highways at 6 AM Sunday Morning. Little or no traffic, even in the SF Bay Area, and plenty of bridges to cross, hills to conquer (when driving a 'stick'), tunnels and windy roads.
I suggest saying off highway 1 in California though, the drop to the rocky beaches below can be a hundred yards or more, and with a teen driving and you (me) seated on 'the edge' it is not a fun experience.

Forum List

Back