Too Old to Trick or Treat?

Teenagers who trick-or-treat in some cities could face something more threatening than any costumed zombie or ghost — like the long arm of the law.

Some cities across the country have adopted age limits — usually around 12 — for those who can travel door-to-door for candy and other Halloween fare. But while teen violators could face jail or fines up to $100, such laws are rarely strictly enforced.

Take Mayor Mark Eckert of Belleville, Ill., near St. Louis. He led a push in 2008 to ban trick or treating by high school-aged teens in that community of about 35,000 people.

His reasoning? He said he heard from too many single mothers and senior citizens complaining they were frightened by "6-foot-tall kids" showing up at their homes in search of candy.

"When I was a kid my father said to me, 'You're too damn big to be going trick-or-treating. You're done," Eckert said. "When that doesn't happen, then that's reason for the city governments to intervene."

Some Spooked Cities Ban Teenage Trick-or-Treating - ABC News

Good idea?

Uh....no.

We get a couple hundred kids. Because we live near the shore, van loads of kids come from the beach area, where there are very few year rounders. It's expensive and exhausting. I think 14 would be a good cut off.

I took a poll at school today. I teach mostly seniors. None admitted going out past 14. I think they were lying. :lol:

We get some teenagers but mostly little kids. My youngest (13) is going out, but she didn't last year. I think she's going as a nerdy goth or something. The special needs boy (17) is sooo excited for Halloween. He'll do the candy thing but what he really is looking forward to is hanging with our neighbor (the cop) and his brothers (cool guys). He's annoyed that Halloween is on a Sunday and that they have school the next day. He's going as John McClane (Bruce Willis' character in the Die Hard movies).

I'm over Halloween, was a few years ago. I'm seriously considering turning out the lights and not giving candy this year. Yeah, I'm a party pooper. :poop:

Should there be a law banning it after a certain age? Hell no.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back