Too much anger out there

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
American's are an angry bunch, are they not? For the last 30 years, polling has shown most American's think our country is headed in the wrong direction over 85% of the time. No matter which political party is in the White House, and who controls Congress, most American's are angry and dissatisfied. Perhaps both sides need to realize we live in one of the better countries in the world. Our political and judicial systems, while not perfect, seem to function reasonably well, and have done so for the last 240+ years. Perhaps it's time for both Conservatives and Liberals to stop looking at each other as "the enemy" and make more of an attempt to see issues from the other persons point of view. Things are all that bad folks. May you all have a happy and safe Memorial Day.
:coffee:

Last edited:
[QUOTE="bill718, post: 17351836, member: 57978"
Too much anger out there
[/QUOTE]

Not enough anger out there ... time to knock it up a notch. Make this whinge-fest into Thunderdome.

If only the anger Americans feel was aimed at those responsible. The ruling class and it's supporters...like the MSM for instance.

If only the anger Americans feel was aimed at those responsible. The ruling class and it's supporters...like the MSM for instance.

The ones in the MSM are master propagandists. Their goal is to direct the anger of Americans towards the institutions that make America function, instead of the ones trying to destroy all of western civilization: themselves.

Anger? Nah, too much political baloney since media became 24 by 7 and Citizens United gave every nitwit the power to spoil the soup. Trump has added to this with speeches full of bombast but empty of sense. Right wing media is another source of confusion, it is managed by 'Dark Money' too. Most people I know are not angry, but I will say many are fearful with Trump and the republicans in charge. It is a paradox that they win, but again money has come to dominate and control our media and politics. Both Lincoln and Eisenhower warned of this control, Washington understood that too.

"Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" Jane Mayer
'Invisible Hands: The Businessmen's Crusade Against the New Deal' Kim Phillips-Fein
'One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America' by Kevin M. Kruse

"It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of the war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war." Abraham Lincoln in a letter to William F. Elkins, November 21, 1864.

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this — in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything — even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H.L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." President Dwight Eisenhower

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." Quote DB :: Speeches :: George Washington :: George Washington's Farewell Address Speech

American's are an angry bunch, are they not? For the last 30 years, polling has shown most American's think our country is headed in the wrong direction over 85% of the time. No matter which political party is in the White House, and who controls Congress, most American's are angry and dissatisfied. Perhaps both sides need to realize we live in one of the better countries in the world. Our political and judicial systems, while not perfect, seem to function reasonably well, and have done so for the last 240+ years. Perhaps it's time for both Conservatives and Liberals to stop looking at each other as "the enemy" and make more of an attempt to see issues from the other persons point of view. Things are all that bad folks. May you all have a happy and safe Memorial Day.
Yep. It's a combination of things - people who have a vested professional interest in keeping their lambs angry, the proliferation of lousy internet "news", a decay in our culture, a "selfie" generation that is terribly narcissistic, on and on. I do everything I can to avoid discussing politics in public, even when the other person REALLY wants to. There's too good a chance they'll go loopy on me, regardless of their "side".

Yep. It's a combination of things - people who have a vested professional interest in keeping their lambs angry, the proliferation of lousy internet "news", a decay in our culture, a "selfie" generation that is terribly narcissistic, on and on. I do everything I can to avoid discussing politics in public, even when the other person REALLY wants to. There's too good a chance they'll go loopy on me, regardless of their "side".
Not discussing it is why the problem persists.

It's like Islamic terrorism will just go away if you ignore it.
Not gonna happen.

Not discussing it is why the problem persists.
It may be one of the reasons. If I can come up with a way to communicate with people whose minds are vacuum-sealed, I'll certainly try.

To date, I have failed at that.

New Topics

Forum List

Back