Too dumb for democracy we need rule by elite

We see this a lot in people who can reel off a few likely sounding bumper sticker slogans and call it a policy.

Tocqueville:Book I Chapter 10
Great political parties, then, are not to be met with in the United States at the present time. Parties, indeed, may be found which threaten the future of the Union; but there is none which seems to contest the present form of government or the present course of society. The parties by which the Union is menaced do not rest upon principles, but upon material interests. These interests constitute, in the different provinces of so vast an empire, rival nations rather than parties.

Tocqueville: Book I Chapter 13
It is impossible, after the most strenuous exertions, to raise the intelligence of the people above a certain level. Whatever may be the facilities of acquiring information, whatever may be the profusion of easy methods and cheap science, the human mind can never be instructed and developed without devoting considerable time to these objects.

The greater or lesser ease with which people can live without working is a sure index of intellectual progress. This boundary is more remote in some countries and more restricted in others, but it must exist somewhere as long as the people are forced to work in order to procure the means of subsistence; that is to say, as long as they continue to be the people. It is therefore quite as difficult to imagine a state in which all the citizens are very well informed as a state in which they are all wealthy; these two difficulties are correlative. I readily admit that the mass of the citizens sincerely wish to promote the welfare of the country; nay, more, I even grant that the lower classes mix fewer considerations of personal interest with their patriotism than the higher orders; but it is always more or less difficult for them to discern the best means of attaining the end which they sincerely desire. Long and patient observation and much acquired knowledge are requisite to form a just estimate of the character of a single individual. Men of the greatest genius often fail to do it, and can it be supposed that the common people will always succeed? The people have neither the time nor the means for an investigation of this kind. Their conclusions are hastily formed from a superficial inspection of the more prominent features of a question. Hence it often happens that mountebanks of all sorts are able to please the people, while their truest friends frequently fail to gain their confidence.

Democracy in America. The greatest political science text of all time.

I would point out to the researchers... at Cornell University..... that America is not a democracy, it's a Representative Republic... therefore, your 'research' is pretty fucking worthless.

I so did not see that coming.... stupidity from Cornell U. I'm laughing... a lot.

Are Americans too dumb for democracy? Scientists claim voters lack the sophistication to recognize good ideas | Mail Online

Are Americans too dumb for democracy? Scientists claim voters lack the sophistication to recognize good ideas

Of course liberals want democracy dead and they only want what's best. What's best in a nice dictator to tell us all what to do.

Remember it was the elites who dumbed down the American public and created the liberals.

CREATE CRISIS, ALERT THE PUBLIC, OFFER SOLUTION

the deliberate dumbing down of america
And there are even hearings on it, via the Reece and cox Investigations.

The research loses its pretension to objectivity here:

In a YouTube video he says: 'You have to be relatively intelligent to realise how stupid you are - and David Dunning, who I am proud to call a friend, has done some research into this. This explains not just Hollywood but almost the entirety of Fox News.'

Are Americans too dumb for democracy? Scientists claim voters lack the sophistication to recognize good ideas | Mail Online

Are Americans too dumb for democracy? Scientists claim voters lack the sophistication to recognize good ideas

Of course liberals want democracy dead and they only want what's best. What's best in a nice dictator to tell us all what to do.

Some may be....

Danica Patrick: “I leave it up to the government to make good decisions for Americans.”

And this, from a member of this board:

"What you CONZ seem to fail to understand is that when government gets involved regulating an industry, it's for the PUBLIC GOOD, as the PUBLIC GOOD is NOT in the charter of private business. MAKING MONEY is. "

And....

"We have really messed up our environment, and we don't have another planet to go to.

Any protection that the average person from the polluters has IS FROM GOVERNMENT.

Any consumer protection is from the government.

Our educational system is from the government.

Our transportation. Our military. Our police.

We vote in officials, who make decisions on expenditures for our societal benefit.

That is not servitude. I'm freer under this government [along with people in other modern democracies] than any average person in the history of the world."

Forum List

Back