Too big to fail , too big to exsist

The Trust Buster [ushistory.org]

This was the core of Theodore Roosevelt's leadership. He boiled everything down to a case of right versus wrong and good versus bad. If a trust controlled an entire industry but provided good service at reasonable rates, it was a "good" trust to be left alone. Only the "bad" trusts that jacked up rates and exploited consumers would come under attack. Who would decide the difference between right and wrong? The occupant of the White House trusted only himself to make this decision in the interests of the people.

The American public cheered Roosevelt's new offensive. The Supreme Court, in a narrow 5 to 4 decision, agreed and dissolved the Northern Securities Company. Roosevelt said confidently that no man, no matter how powerful, was above the law. As he landed blows on other "bad" trusts, his popularity grew and grew.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "too big to fail." If a company can't stand on their own then they should be allowed to go out of business.

Yet another one who just cant figure it out.

if that is the case ... have you noticed everything the fed, admin and congress have done is to provide money to the banks to consolidate them not break them up.....

Whether I agree with the "Too big to fail, too big to exist" statement or not seems rather irrelevant. Because:

Nothing is too big to fail.

So we could argue for academics sake whether we have an obligation to keep a company from becoming too big to fail all day long. Because it will never happen.

Not even the United States Government is too big to fail. We will soon see a time when all manufactoring ceases; where the government will fail and we will have to united as indivitual cities and communities to survive.

Whether I agree with the "Too big to fail, too big to exist" statement or not seems rather irrelevant. Because:

Nothing is too big to fail.

So we could argue for academics sake whether we have an obligation to keep a company from becoming too big to fail all day long. Because it will never happen.

Not even the United States Government is too big to fail. We will soon see a time when all manufactoring ceases; where the government will fail and we will have to united as indivitual cities and communities to survive.

Are predicting the end of capitalist cultural hegemony?

you have a warped idea of what government is .

no .... i recognize it for what it is ...... you believe it is is something it is not ..... you see what you want to see .....

you work for the government .... they take your money and spend it on what they want ... sure they let you keep some and tell you what they are spending it on is in your best interests ...... the people you admire are no better than the folks that ran aig or bear sterns or gm into the ground .... why you want to defend these folks or give them more money you don't have is beyond me .....

Jesus christ guys , let me explainacate it to you yet again.

If the industry is so big that its failure would result in the collapse of the US economy then it is too big to be allowed to just fail.

Its not that it is incapable of failing.

So if its to big to allow to fail then its to big to be allowed to exsist and therby threaten the American government.

no .... i recognize it for what it is ...... you believe it is is something it is not ..... you see what you want to see .....

you work for the government .... they take your money and spend it on what they want ... sure they let you keep some and tell you what they are spending it on is in your best interests ...... the people you admire are no better than the folks that ran aig or bear sterns or gm into the ground .... why you want to defend these folks or give them more money you don't have is beyond me .....

Then why do you defend republicans and spew hate on dems?

You know they are not the same, we both know they are not perfect.

Their is no perfect in the adult world and maybe you need to face that.

I pick the people who are BETTER at delivering based on fact. You pick to like no one and vote for republicans who hgave us this mess along with a shitload of others.

Personally I still believe the founders made a good system that can still work.

The Trust Buster [ushistory.org]

This was the core of Theodore Roosevelt's leadership. He boiled everything down to a case of right versus wrong and good versus bad. If a trust controlled an entire industry but provided good service at reasonable rates, it was a "good" trust to be left alone. Only the "bad" trusts that jacked up rates and exploited consumers would come under attack. Who would decide the difference between right and wrong? The occupant of the White House trusted only himself to make this decision in the interests of the people.

The American public cheered Roosevelt's new offensive. The Supreme Court, in a narrow 5 to 4 decision, agreed and dissolved the Northern Securities Company. Roosevelt said confidently that no man, no matter how powerful, was above the law. As he landed blows on other "bad" trusts, his popularity grew and grew.

Teddy was the man

if congress fails won't that distroy the country as well.....

Or the military for that matter ....

I think you are being obtuse here.

i think you don't want to agree that congress is the same as aig.....if one is too big to fail and thus too big to even exist then doesn't that apply to any entity......well of course not.....because one of the two is making the rules.....the same folks that made the rules that aig exploited.....

it is what you get when people that don't know how to run a business tell others how to do it.....

if you ran you company the congress runs the us you would be out of business in less than a year.....

well guess what....america as a business has failed....failed some time ago.....at the moment we can print money and as "we are too big to fail" the world economy is not calling our debt due....but read the news...they want to change the internatiolal currency .... we are losing or possibly have lost a world wide economic war .....

the stakes are high and i am not happy with how this is being or has been handeled ....

Perhaps the OP was too broad in her question.

The people who are coming to us for bailouts obviously don't know how to run a business either.

IMO, when these companies come to Congress claiming they are too big to fail and Congress agrees with them then they should break them up into more fail friendly entities instead of propping them back up into the same situation that got them in the mess in the first place.

Fail or get broken up those should be the choices. When they say we're too big to fail then the response should be, "Fine, then you are getting broken up. You are not going to receive a bailout so you can continue to run your business into the ground and end up coming back for more in 6 months or a year."

I understand your point about out own government and the way it's run but I don't think that was the point the OP was trying to make.

I pick the people who are BETTER at delivering based on fact. You pick to like no one and vote for republicans who hgave us this mess along with a shitload of others.

which republican have i defended.....which republican have i voted for.....i blame congress.....i don't care who they work for.....they are all responsible....all of them....

you really don't see that the same people you are believe will save you were all there for the past 16 years creating this mess......none of them stopped it.....none of them.....the altered the debt ratio.....messed with the banking industry.....they tinkered with shit they know nothing about ..... now you think the same people can fix this.......

if america was smart they would vote them all.....out of office and start fresh.....

i think you don't want to agree that congress is the same as aig.....if one is too big to fail and thus too big to even exist then doesn't that apply to any entity......well of course not.....because one of the two is making the rules.....the same folks that made the rules that aig exploited.....

it is what you get when people that don't know how to run a business tell others how to do it.....

if you ran you company the congress runs the us you would be out of business in less than a year.....

well guess what....america as a business has failed....failed some time ago.....at the moment we can print money and as "we are too big to fail" the world economy is not calling our debt due....but read the news...they want to change the internatiolal currency .... we are losing or possibly have lost a world wide economic war .....

the stakes are high and i am not happy with how this is being or has been handeled ....

Perhaps the OP was too broad in her question.

The people who are coming to us for bailouts obviously don't know how to run a business either.

IMO, when these companies come to Congress claiming they are too big to fail and Congress agrees with them then they should break them up into more fail friendly entities instead of propping them back up into the same situation that got them in the mess in the first place.

Fail or get broken up those should be the choices. When they say we're too big to fail then the response should be, "Fine, then you are getting broken up. You are not going to receive a bailout so you can continue to run your business into the ground and end up coming back for more in 6 months or a year."

I understand your point about out own government and the way it's run but I don't think that was the point the OP was trying to make.

i agree.....we should not be pumping money into a business that does not work.....it is like pouring water into a cup full of holes.....

i fully understand that she was refering to breaking up aig and that nothing should be that big....

well i draw the same parrallel with our fat, bloated, ill performing government......they are doing the same stupid shit aig did.....

i agree.....we should not be pumping money into a business that does not work.....it is like pouring water into a cup full of holes.....

i fully understand that she was refering to breaking up aig and that nothing should be that big....

well i draw the same parrallel with our fat, bloated, ill performing government......they are doing the same stupid shit aig did.....

Fair 'nuff.

Would you propose to let the gov't go under? What happens globally if that happens?

Or perhaps break it up?

Do you think reform from within is a realistic possibility?

Jesus christ guys , let me explainacate it to you yet again.

If the industry is so big that its failure would result in the collapse of the US economy then it is too big to be allowed to just fail.

Its not that it is incapable of failing.

So if its to big to allow to fail then its to big to be allowed to exsist and therby threaten the American government.

If the US economy fails its not because one company collapsed, its because the foundations been eroded for decades of bad policy since the great depression.

which republican have i defended.....which republican have i voted for.....i blame congress.....i don't care who they work for.....they are all responsible....all of them....

you really don't see that the same people you are believe will save you were all there for the past 16 years creating this mess......none of them stopped it.....none of them.....the altered the debt ratio.....messed with the banking industry.....they tinkered with shit they know nothing about ..... now you think the same people can fix this.......

if america was smart they would vote them all.....out of office and start fresh.....

Then you would just call the news ones the same.

I put in red the obvious republican bullshit , this was caused by NOT enough regulation.

if congress fails won't that distroy the country as well.....

I agree and think that it's not being done accidentally. I don't think the plan was for the people's blinders to fall off so quickly, however they are using the means to get to their ends.

So here we are with the cons wanting to disband our government?

there is a name for that right?

Then you would just call the news ones the same.
I put in red the obvious republican bullshit , this was caused by NOT enough regulation.

yes it is all the republicans fault and the dems who stood and watch them ruin the country will step forword and save us now......

just today they all voted to take money from the rich and spend it on something worth while.....like sending the presdent to espn studio to fill out his march madness bracket.....

just the change i was was hoping for.....

Forum List

Back