Too bad the public doesn't get Mil spending

Discussion in 'Military' started by Reuben, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Reuben

Reuben Lost Soul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In another thread people were discussing the draft. I wish it was 100% mandatory so that people understood what we were spending money on.

During my time in the service I have seen jaw dropping examples of waste. Things that boggled my mind. While my commarades back at home station were running low on funds to buy printer paper and toner, we in the "war zone" were spending money on the most amazing BS you could imagine. When those of us in the Capt and Maj ranks said "this is a waste" we were reminded that if we don't spend it we will lose it in next year's budget. Such high level thinking gave us a million dollar five bay car wash in the middle of the desert (when we already had a one bay car wash that had no lines).

When I got home, and we were out of the Iraq war (which prompted our fight against IEDs) I noticed we were still spending billions on JIEDDO (Joint Improvised Explosive Detection and Destruction Organization). This entity alone had a budget that dwarfed some states budgets. But because it had been given funding over time, it was gauranteed funding in each succesive budget. Nevermind that the organization no longer had a mission, it still got funding increases each year.

BS like this is everywhere in the system (lets not talk about the F-35 and F-22 programs, which take military spending waste to levels only contemplated by Star Trek fans). Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines find themselves making due without necessary items on the job, while billions are pissed away by worthless DoD organizations.

Yet, any time we talk about defense cuts the GOP has a coniption fit. If people had spent time in the military they would understand the way money is wasted.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    When the military becomes a warrior class will it declare martial law?...
    :confused:
    Is the no-draft military creating a warrior class?
    January 2, 2013 WASHINGTON — Some fear all-volunteer force may desensitize US to effects of warfare
    See also:

Pentagon undeterred by sex scandals; policy on women proceeds
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 - Despite sex scandals, Pentagon pushing women closer to battlefield

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Oh yea, big waste. Because everybody knows that there are no IEDs used in Afghanistan.

:D

4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,825
    You think JIEDDO doesn't have a mission when Americans are blown up with IED's every day but you worry about the price of printing toner and paper? What the fuk outfit were you in?

5. Mushroom

Mushroom VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Simple solution for this, is to encourage more people to try and join the military.

And it is not always so simple. My dad never served, but I did. And my son will not serve. Everybody chooses to serve or not to serve for their own reasons. However, just like different businesses often appeal to generation after generation, the military is no different.

But "warrior class"? Not hardly. Anybody is free to join, and since 90% choose to not join, what would you expect?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,727
    You've raised an important issue here -- and you know what you're talking about!

Our main economic problem is not so-called "entitlement" spending. It is exactly what President and former General Dwight Eisenhower warned us about when leaving Office. It is the Military Industrial Complex.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yea, that is why entitlement spending is well over twice the DoD budget. Moving from 1.5 trillion to now over 2 trillion dollars a year, while defense is decreasing, from around $775 billion a year to around $640 billion a year by 2015.

Tell that to the Marines.

8. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    After 22 years on active duty I can honestly say there is some waste and abuse, and throughout the military we could probably tighten it up and save a billion....maybe even 2 or 3 billion...... But that is such a small drop in such a large bucket it's a laugh.......

9. Mushroom

Mushroom VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Code:

I agree there. I have seen it myself many times.

However, I would start by weeding out a large number of the civilians that work for the DoD. I swear that the DoD has become a big civilian hiring program, where said civilians are getting paid big money to do jobs that used to be done by the military.

And at the same time a lot of the military members are sitting around with almost nothing to do, their jobs now done by civilians. Back when I first joined during the Reagan Administration, suggesting that we should stop having Privates do KP would have had me sent to a psycho ward. Now, that is common practice.

And those civilians, with unions and benefits and a paycheck that would make most people in the military very jealous are quickly becoming a big drain on the DoD budget.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Some of the best chow I ever had was when we had Military cooks.......Some of the worst was when civilians ran the mess......... I never understood why they did that, Still need the cooks to go with us to the field or into a war zone, at least for the most part........