Tomorrow, Jan 21 2013, is "No Television Day" in America!

That's just stupid. When is 'No Reading Day'? When is 'No Transportation Day'? If you want to go ride a bike, go ride a fucking bike. Don't make a big drama production out of it.
Reading and Bike riding require active participation, you're engaging in Life and Reality.

TV requires that you go into a "trance-like state" (low alpha waves) and suspend all disbelief.

Best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to unplug the TV.

No, the best thing you can do is to mind your own fucking business.

YOU asked the question, and then you wanna whine and sing the blues about the answers. Here's some accompaniment :eusa_boohoo:
Wah. Don't forget to stomp your foot.

What should I bring to the pity party? 'Cause it sounds like you're stocked up with whine.

Last edited:
Reading and Bike riding require active participation, you're engaging in Life and Reality.

TV requires that you go into a "trance-like state" (low alpha waves) and suspend all disbelief.
I feel you with the bike thing but you're really stretching it when drawing a big a distinction between reading and watching TV.

How much more active a participation are you doing in reading a book vs. TV? Do you mean the calories burned from turning pages is greater than the calories burned from clicking the remote control? Using either medium it is quite possible to be generally slothful while simply absorbing material structured for you to enjoy, the fact it is a printed page doesn't in and of itself make it some superior higher form of consumption of information.

Does someone watching a tv show about how to properly cook a souffle suspend more belief and become more trance-like than someone engrossed in their book about elves and orcs? I know I'm capable of having simple conversations with my wife while reading something good and I won't even realize or remember doing it unless I answer a question nonsensically and get called out on it.

I didn't bring up 'No Television Day,' you idiot.

That's just stupid. When is 'No Reading Day'? When is 'No Transportation Day'?

:bang3:

Thanks for reinforcing the fact that I didn't bring up 'No Television Day,' you idiot.

You brought up two false equivalencies and then wet your pants when you get answers on them. If you can't handle feedback, what the hell are you doing on a message board?

How much more active a participation are you doing in reading a book vs. TV? Do you mean the calories burned from turning pages is greater than the calories burned from clicking the remote control? Using either medium it is quite possible to be generally slothful while simply absorbing material structured for you to enjoy, the fact it is a printed page doesn't in and of itself make it some superior higher form of consumption of information.

Does someone watching a tv show about how to properly cook a souffle suspend more belief and become more trance-like than someone engrossed in their book about elves and orcs?

In a word, yes. "Trance" is quite appropriate.

Back to the first paragraph -- the comparison is not one of physical investment but mental. Reading, or bike-riding, or radio, all these keep the senses and imagination involved in what's going on. Television alone shuts everything down and becomes the sensual dictator, declaring everything that's going on, exactly what it looks and sounds like, and how you feel about it. Since the viewer's been relieved of all his human participatory duties, he becomes a sponge passively soaking up whatever the boob tube sends him. And by "passive" I mean mentally.

Television is a tool to sell advertising. Whatever you tune in for is the bait to sell this car or that fast food. One broadcast exec asked one of his PDs, "you know what programming is? Programming is the shit we run between commercials". And advertising, by definition, exists to sell you stuff you don't need. So all that sensory input in the visual programming is there to soften the brain to a point of vulnerability where it gradually becomes an acceptable idea that hey, maybe I really do need a Magic Bullet®.

So yes, the trance is very much the point. "Hypnosis" is another word; a state to facilitate the power of suggestion.

So unplug those TVs tomorrow and get out and enjoy life!

Go for a bike ride, fish, surf, ski, make love, or simply read a good book.

I'm looking forward to a great "No Television Day"!

Would be interesting to know how many people actually took part in this.

You brought up two false equivalencies.

No, I did not. I mentioned two other activities that are also neither positive nor negative in and of themselves.

Last edited:
Television is a tool to sell advertising. Whatever you tune in for is the bait to sell this car or that fast food. One broadcast exec asked one of his PDs, "you know what programming is? Programming is the shit we run between commercials". And advertising, by definition, exists to sell you stuff you don't need. So all that sensory input in the visual programming is there to soften the brain to a point of vulnerability where it gradually becomes an acceptable idea that hey, maybe I really do need a Magic Bullet®.

So yes, the trance is very much the point. "Hypnosis" is another word; a state to facilitate the power of suggestion.

So now we're back to reading. You don't read newspapers or magazines? I know you read the internet. You poor, hypnotized pawn.

So now we're back to reading. You don't read newspapers or magazines? I know you read the internet. You poor, hypnotized pawn.

Reading allows for, even invites, reflection. Television does not.

Checkmate.

Reading allows for, even invites, reflection. Television does not.

Checkmate.

So, you do or do not read newspapers, magazines, and the internet? Don't duck the question.

And if you are incapable of reflecting on what you see just because it comes from a television, you may have a problem that needs to be addressed by a professional.

too easy... lotsa folks hardly ever watch TV anymore...

how 'bout a "No Internet Day"...?

:D

Hey now, don't get crazy... :badgrin:

I gave up my DreckTV when I realized that everything I wanted on TV I can get on the internets, except live sports, and I can get that by subscription (or even better, by radio).

Plus, I just got me two internet radios, and they are absolutely awesome. "From my cold, dead hands..."
:razz:

I gave up my DreckTV when I realized that everything I wanted on TV I can get on the internets, except live sports, and I can get that by subscription (or even better, by radio).

Plus, I just got me two internet radios, and they are absolutely awesome. "From my cold, dead hands..."

So you're just spewing shit when you posted this lame 'no tv day' thread. You watch whatever on a computer vs. on a box. Cripes.

TV allows for reflection. How do you figure it doesn't?

So you're just spewing shit when you posted this lame 'no tv day' thread. You watch whatever on a computer vs. on a box. Cripes.

TV allows for reflection. How do you figure it doesn't?

This is not my thread, Einstein.

TV is a continuous feed. If you stop to think, you're disengaged (which is not a bad thing, but then you're no longer watching TV). This is not true of books or other print media. Or the internet. They can wait. TV can't. Alone among the media it shuts down the senses and takes over. A book says, "here are some thoughts if you want them". TV says "I'll take care of everything, you just sit back and watch".

Contrarians so determined they'll even sink to shilling for TV. Sheesh.

Tomorrow, Jan 21 2013, is "No Television Day" in America!
So that explains why Uverse was down yesterday

Forum List

Back