Tomorrow, Jan 21 2013, is "No Television Day" in America!

tap4154

VIP Member
Dec 8, 2012
Surf City USA
So unplug those TVs tomorrow and get out and enjoy life!

Go for a bike ride, fish, surf, ski, make love, or simply read a good book.

I'm looking forward to a great "No Television Day"!

Go for a bike ride, fish, surf, ski, make love, or simply read a good book.

What is "television"?

Sounds insidious.

Nope. I'm going non-stop all day long, working hard to take care of things. I'm beat by 8 or 9pm and enjoy relaxing with a good show or two. Looking forward to watching Kevin Bacon's new show 'The Following' tomorrow night. Just because you watch some tube doesn't mean you don't do anything else.

I plan to avoid staring at any digital billboards, to be totally immersed in the glory of it all.

In my apartment, it's "Watch no news stations" day. What a coincidence that day falls on Obama's 2nd inauguration

That's just stupid. When is 'No Reading Day'? When is 'No Transportation Day'? If you want to go ride a bike, go ride a fucking bike. Don't make a big drama production out of it.

I read while the TV is on. It's called "multi-tasking."

Been known to make love with the television on as well...

Yeah, that's what she told me. That's why she left.

That's just stupid. When is 'No Reading Day'? When is 'No Transportation Day'? If you want to go ride a bike, go ride a fucking bike. Don't make a big drama production out of it.

They're completely different things. Reading, riding a fucking bike (that sounds risky) and in fact most activities are by definition active. Even sitting in one's wankalounger posting on message boards demands at least active thought. Teleivision by contrast is completely passive and slavish. One sits like a sponge and opens the legs of one's brain to whatever the box wants to sell you -- facile dumbed-down two dimensional shiny object images. Not much different from hypnosis.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV and resist the urge to look at the screen, and instead watch the watchers. That will tell you everything you need to know; passive zombies staring motionless at a screen, soaking up whatever swill the tube decrees, and it makes all the decisions on what's going on; the imagination is completely shut down. Even in a radio drama you get to imagine what the character and the setting look like, just as in a book. (plus, since radio requires only the sense of hearing and not sight, it doesn't shut down anything else you're doing unless what you're doing is talking, which is why radio is inherently superior to TV)

It's no accident that it was over 50 years go that TV was described as a "vast wasteland" by Newton Minow. It's not the content that was on at the time; it's the technology itself. Look up a book by a former advertising executive named Jerry Mander called "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television".

505712974_1af91a8cc2.jpg

957354-kill-your-television.jpg

Ah, that felt good.​

Last edited:

If you're talking about my first wife, I left her and you're welcome to it... Though I wouldn't wish her on anyone. Even you.

Now, my second wife, she's not going anywhere. She's a keeper.

If you're talking about my first wife, I left her and you're welcome to it... Though I wouldn't wish her on anyone. Even you.

Now, my second wife, she's not going anywhere. She's a keeper.

Then I suggest you shut the TV off and pay attention. :D

They're completely different things. Reading, riding a fucking bike (that sounds risky) and in fact most activities are by definition active. Even sitting in one's wankalounger posting on message boards demands at least active thought. Teleivision by contrast is completely passive and slavish. One sits like a sponge and opens the legs of one's brain to whatever the box wants to sell you -- facile dumbed-down two dimensional shiny object images. Not much different from hypnosis.

Walk into a room where people are watching TV and resist the urge to look at the screen, and instead watch the watchers. That will tell you everything you need to know; passive zombies staring motionless at a screen, soaking up whatever swill the tube decrees, and it makes all the decisions on what's going on; the imagination is completely shut down. Even in a radio drama you get to imagine what the character and the setting look like, just as in a book. (plus, since radio requires only the sense of hearing and not sight, it doesn't shut down anything else you're doing unless what you're doing is talking, which is why radio is inherently superior to TV)

It's no accident that it was over 50 years go that TV was described as a "vast wasteland" by Newton Minow. It's not the content that was on at the time; it's the technology itself. Look up a book by a former advertising executive named Jerry Mander called "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television".

If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. Look up a book called 'Shut the fuck up, drama queen.'

If you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. Look up a book called 'Shut the fuck up, drama queen.'

None of that is about "what I want". It's an analysis of a medium. Perhaps you're not familiar with the medium of "reading"? But that's where we started; you compared TV to reading and riding a "fucking bike" (I still want to see those acrobatics) and I explained why the comparison is false. Then you melted down.

If you don't want the answer ...then don't ask the question.

Last edited:
Reading and Bike riding require active participation, you're engaging in Life and Reality.

TV requires that you go into a "trance-like state" (low alpha waves) and suspend all disbelief.

Best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to unplug the TV.

None of that is about "what I want". It's an analysis of a medium. Perhaps you're not familiar with the medium of "reading"? But that's where we started; you compared TV to reading and riding a "fucking bike" (I still want to see those acrobatics) and I explained why the comparison is false. Then you melted down.

If you don't want the answer ...then don't ask the question.

Stop crying, turn off the TV, and shut the fuck up.

Reading and Bike riding require active participation, you're engaging in Life and Reality.

TV requires that you go into a "trance-like state" (low alpha waves) and suspend all disbelief.

Best thing you can do for yourself and your family is to unplug the TV.

No, the best thing you can do is to mind your own fucking business.

Forum List

Back