Tom Steyer--"Term Limits"

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Steyer is campaigning on 'Term Limits'

Tom Steyer calls out Lindsey Graham and calls for term limits in new South Carolina TV ad

and is naming only Republicans.

"This time, the argument he makes isn’t as philosophical. It’s about a specific trio of people in politics today, whose names he treats as shorthand for entrenched power in Washington.

“Speaking of term limits, I have six words for you: Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Chuck Grassley,” Steyer says.

McConnell, Graham and Grassley have been in the Senate for a combined 89 years."

Why is he only naming Republicans?

Why doesn't he name some Democrats..?

Nancy Pelosi, with 32 years in office.
Maxine Waters, with 28 years in office
Jerry Nadler, with 27 years in office
Adam Schiff, with 18 years in office.

Why doesn't he mention Boxer, Feinstein, Leahy?

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

he's running as a Democrat, and only attacking Republicans for being reelected by their constituents.

Comments?

Tom Steyer calls out Lindsey Graham and calls for term limits in new South Carolina TV ad

"This time, the argument he makes isn’t as philosophical. It’s about a specific trio of people in politics today, whose names he treats as shorthand for entrenched power in Washington.

“Speaking of term limits, I have six words for you: Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Chuck Grassley,” Steyer says.

McConnell, Graham and Grassley have been in the Senate for a combined 89 years."

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

he's running as a Democrat, and only attacking Republicans for being reelected by their constituents.

Comments?
Term limits for all of them.

Career politician should Not be in our vocabulary. It shouldn't take millions to run for any office either.

The problem is that early in our development representatives had to - to some degree - be dragged into service. Without the "royalty" aspect, it was just a job, and not a particularly enriching one.

We now have our own "created" royalty, who fight to gain the title and do everything possible to retain it, because they can become rich and powerful with it.

Term limits are a good idea.

That said, Steyer is going nowhere.

Arguing for term limits is a howl of rage from the uneducated underclass. Where is the benefit ?

Arguing for term limits is a howl of rage from the uneducated underclass.

uneducated? Underclass?

Interesting...
"Steyer is the founder and former co-senior-managing-partner of Farallon Capital and the co-founder of Onecalifornia Bank, which became (through merger) Beneficial State Bank, an Oakland–based community development bank.[2] Farallon Capital manages $20 billion in capital for institutions and high-net-worth individuals. The firm's institutional investors include college endowments and foundations.[2] Since 1986, Steyer has been a partner and member of the executive committee at Hellman & Friedman, a San Francisco–based $8 billion private equity firm. "

Of course we should have term limits. And those who argue against them claim that "elections are term limits", which is intellectually dishonest in the extreme. Incumbents have several clear advantages in an election, and that's the primary reason they win a lion's share of them. Anyone who pretends to not know that is LYING.

We can continue to bend over and take this, or we can choose to change the system under which these people have to operate.

That's up to us.

Arguing for term limits is a howl of rage from the uneducated underclass. Where is the benefit ?
The benefit would be a person who could concentrate on their job of actually representing the people, and not begging for corporate donations and running for election the minute they are sworn in.

The uneducated are the fools like you willing to let an elite class hold office for decades, like Royalty.

Your opinion as a non American is irrelevant here.

Your post is utterly uneducated.

We not only need term limits, but also public financing of campaigns. No more private money influencing campaigns.

While we’re dreaming, let’s also eliminate the War Department, CIA, and all intelligence agencies.

Let's imagine that you are a member of congress and this is your last term in office due to term limits. And let's say that a big govt contractor approaches you and mentions that there just might be an opportunity for a job with them when their term is up (wink--wink). Don't you think that the soon to be an unemployed legislator might look favorably on legislation that helps their future employer? I do.

I think that term limits will increase corruption in DC, not reduce it.

We already have the power to limit their term under existing law. It's called the voting booth.

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?

He is appealing to the Democratic Voting base so of course he is not going to mention the centuries that those like Pelosi has spent in office.

I mean Pelosi has been Speaker of the House in three different Decades, so do you think Democrat leadership would be happy with any advertisement that highlights how Pelosi has been Speaker of the House twice under Bush, Obama and Trump?

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?

He is appealing to the Democratic Voting base so of course he is not going to mention the centuries that those like Pelosi has spent in office.

I mean Pelosi has been Speaker of the House in three different Decades, so do you think Democrat leadership would be happy with any advertisement that highlights how Pelosi has been Speaker of the House twice under Bush, Obama and Trump?

Tom Steyer has Nancy Pelosi prominently displayed in his ads. He supports her 100 percent.

But, as someone who has never voted for Democrats, I think term limits are a nutty idea. Wasn't that how we got Obama for president? That was a good deal?

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?

Tom Steyer has Nancy Pelosi prominently displayed in his ads. He supports her 100 percent.

But, as someone who has never voted for Democrats, I think term limits are a nutty idea. Wasn't that how we got Obama for president? That was a good deal?

That is how we got every President after Truman if the First Term President won a Second Term...

Last President to be able run without any term limit was Truman because the Amendment was passed and ratified when he was President.

As for term limits for Senators in Illinois that has yet to happen seeing Durbin is still in office and had Jim Edgar ran for the seat Obama won then Obama would have never been President...

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?

That is how we got every President after Truman if the First Term President won a Second Term...

Last President to be able run without any term limit was Truman because the Amendment was passed and ratified when he was President.

As for term limits for Senators in Illinois that has yet to happen seeing Durbin is still in office and had Jim Edgar ran for the seat Obama won then Obama would have never been President...

That is speculating. Most people know Bush would have beaten Obama (though I despised Bush.)

We have elections at intervals for a reason. Sometimes the experience is necessary in the political arena.

The benefit is you eventually end up with people who run for office with purer motives. The batch we have now make sure their families are enriched through political favors and corruption, nepotism etc.
Unfortunately human behavior and tendecies are what they are. Power has an inevitable ability to temp even good people to want to play outside of the lines.
Of course you would be sacrificing some continuity and some experience but the system of government should be strong enough to withstand that. I say the benefits outwheigh the minuses.

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?

That is speculating. Most people know Bush would have beaten Obama (though I despised Bush.)

We have elections at intervals for a reason. Sometimes the experience is necessary in the political arena.

Bush would have not won in 2008... Not in that political environment and with major crashes in the economy.

Still the fact is Tom Steyer is not mentioning his own Political Party members for a good reason and there should be term limits for the House, Senate and I believe the USSC should also have an age where a Justice must step down...

To do the term limits on the House the constitution would have to be amended to where you increase the amount of years a House member will be elected to for a term from two to four years..

Numerous others.

Oh, that's right...

Comments?
Term limits for all of them.

Career politician should Not be in our vocabulary. It shouldn't take millions to run for any office either.

Term Limits! one more reason why they want to get rid of Trump. It was one of the things on his agenda

Term limits are only advocated by those who cannot win elections otherwise

Forum List

Back