Tom Petty And the Heartbreakers

Petty and Dylan were total drags on "Americana." Campfire guitar strummers who had no imagination. Sorry! FM payola says otherwise though. And yes everyone I knew lucky enough to see Zeppelin (myself June 1977) and The Who before the drummers passed liked both bands. Pete Townsend was obviously a better songwriter than Page/Plant, but Moon could not keep time like Bonzo.
Where I grew up, people were either Who fans or Zeppelin fans, but rarely both. It was like the Mets and the Yankees or something.

I was into both, but more into Pink Floyd and The Doors.

Petty and Dylan were total drags on "Americana." Campfire guitar strummers who had no imagination. Sorry! FM payola says otherwise though. And yes everyone I knew lucky enough to see Zeppelin (myself June 1977) and The Who before the drummers passed liked both bands. Pete Townsend was obviously a better songwriter than Page/Plant, but Moon could not keep time like Bonzo.
Where I grew up, people were either Who fans or Zeppelin fans, but rarely both. It was like the Mets and the Yankees or something.

Those bands of course are all epically great bands for different reasons but for those who criticize Petty for being too simplistic, I really think it's an error, in that the market of music rewards artists where a need is filled.
At it's root, music was meant to tell a story. A lot of bands will give up that basis in pursuit of a greater sound perhaps. Maybe better technically and in composition, but I think there is plenty of room in the world for many styles of music. The fact that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers pretty much stayed true to their roots of what they wanted to do for decades and were successful at it should be a symbol of hope for up and coming bands. Over simplistic or not, they had the ability to create songs with melodies that stay in your head in way a lot of other bands have struggled to do and failed. If it was so easy and simple, everyone would have been doing it... but Petty had a unique sound that either you have or you don't

In the dark, dark, dark nuclear winter days of disco, cocaine, and the Bee Gees, rock and roll was saved by Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, and Joe Walsh through sheer force of will.

And Led Zeppelin and The Who. Funny thing. People are usually either a Led Zeppelin fan or a Who fan, but rarely both.

I'm both.

We owe these rock gods a debt that can never be paid back.

Live forever, Tom Petty. Live forever.

I also like Zeppelin and the Who.

I like them too.

New Topics

Forum List

Back