Tom DeLay, Kosovo And High Treason

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Apr 8, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Very disturbing developments here about DeLay now make me consider him a corrupt piece of shit at best and a traitor in the worst case scenario (which is likely true).

Consider the background first.

Back during Bill Clinton's less than genius Kosovo air campaign (remember no ground troops could be involved, a matter probably equally decided by Clinton's poll-watching and Republican opposition to the war), Tom DeLay was a leading opponent, to the point of calling the US the aggressor, saying it was America's fault and all but openly cheerleading for Kosovo to become a quagmire (a lot of Democrats did these things over Iraq), as well as advocating appeasement of mass murder, territorial aggression and tyranny.

Delay & the shame of other Republicans over Kosovo;
    http://slate.msn.com/id/27730/

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Now considering DeLay was a leader of the opposition to Kosovo, let us consider the meat and potatoes of this topic.

He also enjoyed a vacation to the Bahamas on the dime of a Russian connected company
    What is disturbing is DeLay's vehement opposition to the war in Kosovo, what was his true motivation? Why, for example, did he take the extraordinary (and wholly dishonest) move of promising Clinton a resolution of support for the air war and then arranging it to fail (keep in mind he was the House majority whip at this time, in charge of "convincing" house republicans to adopt his/the party's POV on votes)

That makes me suspect DeLay was paying back a political favor to his Russian benefactors, as Russia being the controlling outside power over Serbia's foreign policy, economy and government.

When American lives were on the line, when America was at war to defend freedom and strike back against tyranny, Tom DeLay was on the wrong side. Even worse, it may not have been simple cowardice and stupidity driving him to do this, but financial and political favors from a foreign nation's businessmen.

3. tstunner

tstunner Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and fox news wont even TOUCH this story with a 10 foot pole!

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    They will eventually, there are more and more Republicans like myself becoming aware of this and other serious problems of his. He will get dumped just like Trent Lott was. The sooner the better.

5. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    DeLay's ethics, or lack thereof, notwithstanding, I have to say that I believe you're well off the mark with your conclusion regarding our interference in the Balkans. I get the impression from your posts that you think that the USA is the High Sheriff of the World and that we should go charging in wherever and whenever some atrocity is being committed. Personally, I don't agree even a little bit.

The US should step in when events threaten our national security interests. We should NOT interfere simply because there is a conflict in some backwater of the world. We should not go running off to some pesthole simply because faction A is murdering faction B. Kosovo was such a situation. Milosovich's actions, while reprehensible, did nothing to threaten our safety or our security. If France, Spain, Germany et al weren't sufficiently concerned to get involved with something going on in their own back yard, why the hell do you think that American lives should be lost in a cause which has no bearing on us? And please let's not go down the path "because it's the moral and ethical thing to do". Maybe it is, but how many American lives is such a cause worth. In my opinion - zero. Besides, Slick Willie didn't get us into that scrap because if was the morally upright thing to do. He got us into that to distract from the aaah - "domestic" problems he was having at the time.

So if folks in the middle east, or in Africa, or the Balkans, or the Basque region of Spain, or Kurdish separatists in Iraq, want to fight it out with their neighbors - fine. Let them go at it. Who are we to interfere with their determination to murder one another? The cold, hard fact is this - No matter how hard we may try, no matter how many American lives we may sacrifice, we will NEVER prevent the mayhem caused by tribalism in the world. We will NEVER prevent people killing each other who are determined to find a way to do exactly that.

6. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I simply don't get the DeLay story. The more I hear and the more articles I read, it smells like politics and liberal propaganda.

Why would DeLay, a high-ranking U.S. government official, have to have his trips to Russia, Spain and South Korea paid for by foreign lobbyists/ businessmen? Hasn't the U.S. government always covered these expenses in the past? Maybe the writers of these articles are implying that the U.S. government is in such dire straits money-wise that our high-ranking elected officials have to seek foreign sponsors to cover their travel expenses nowadays. :)

Why is it that when John Kerry, Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden, Tom Harkin, etc. travel abroad, it's always reported in the MSM that they are on "government business", but when Tom DeLay makes such trips, it's reported as "lavish vacations". Do you get the irony here?

7. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the unwavering support for an unethical, and yes nato..possibly treasonous, individual is astounding. but by all means, do and say anything you can to prevent any embarrasment for the party.

makes me sick. :puke:

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
  9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,176
    Other than BS propaganda. I haven't seen a reason to take DeLay out of his position. I'm tired of seeing Democrats try to come up with some scheme to get rid of Republican leadership. If people have a problem with him, beat him at the ballot box. But as long as his constituents keep electing him or he is found guilty of some grave crime, i see no reason why he can't continue in the position he has been elected to. And quite frankly I'm tired of seeing Republican's who keep turning on party leaders when the Democrats put too much pressure on them. It just encourages the Democrats to continue their propaganda machine instead of actually coming up with ideas to make this country better.

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    When have we turned on party leaders unjustly? If one of our leaders messes up in a very damaging, dishonest or possibly treasonous way.... we get rid of them. We're not the Democrats, who keep the same dirtbags regardless of their crimes. Look at Clinton, revered by the Democrats even though he was a crook. Look at Kennedy (Ted). Look at Byrd.
    The Republicans will get rid of or sidestep somebody who damages the party... Lott being the most prominent example. DeLay will be next.