TOM DASCHLE withdraws

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/opinion/03tue1.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

When President Obama nominated former Senator Tom Daschle to be his secretary of health and human services, it seemed to be a good choice. Mr. Daschle, as the co-author of a book on health care reform, knew a lot about one of the president’s signature issues. As a former Senate majority leader, he also knew a lot about guiding controversial bills through Congress, where he remains liked and respected by former colleagues.

Unfortunately, new facts have come to light — involving his failure to pay substantial taxes that were owed and his sizable income from health-related companies while he worked in the private sector — that call into question his suitability for the job. We believe that Mr. Daschle ought to step aside and let the president choose a less-blemished successor.

I agree with the Times. This is not Change.

When President Obama nominated former Senator Tom Daschle to be his secretary of health and human services, it seemed to be a good choice. Mr. Daschle, as the co-author of a book on health care reform, knew a lot about one of the president’s signature issues. As a former Senate majority leader, he also knew a lot about guiding controversial bills through Congress, where he remains liked and respected by former colleagues.

Unfortunately, new facts have come to light — involving his failure to pay substantial taxes that were owed and his sizable income from health-related companies while he worked in the private sector — that call into question his suitability for the job. We believe that Mr. Daschle ought to step aside and let the president choose a less-blemished successor.

Less-blemished?? For a nano second I thought maybe they'd want someone without any blemishes. You know, someone with integrity, morals and ethics. :rolleyes:

Less-blemished?? For a nano second I thought maybe they'd want someone without any blemishes. You know, someone with integrity, morals and ethics. :rolleyes:
I'm busy.

from his spot as obama's health and human services Head....cuz of not paying taxes on a limo driver gift....

disappointing as a Dem, to see these guys avoiding taxes....

he should withdraw as he has and obama needs to add, have you paid your taxes lately? to his lengthy questionaire of people that want to work for him!!!!

OOPS, DASCHEL

Its a shame Dascle is a good guy.

I think there are others who could fill the post though.

It will be funny to see the rights reaction.

They found no conflict of interest when Bush appointed people no matter what they did.

Ok and what of Timmy boy? I'm not OK with somone who didn't pay their taxes being in charge of the IRS.
Too late for that. He doesn't bother me as much as he did what his accountant told him and the laws that pertained to his filings are about as clear as mud. I only hope it inspires him to simplify the tax code.

But Daschel...there's no way it would take his accountant six months to answer a question AND he was in bed with the very companies he was going to be providing oversight on.

Note Tom did pay his taxes, he pointed the mistake out himself.

Now go back and look at the obvious scumbags Bush appointed and so many defended.

I heard on the radio that Daschle had not just avoided paying the taxes, but actually did not report the income those taxes were based on. That is tax evasion. He should be charged and perp walked in front of the cameras for that...

The man was in a differnt tax bracket than he had ever been in and made a couple of typical mistakes that a person who is in this situation makes.

he owned up and paid the tax to an even higher extent than reguired.

He paid taxes on the limo as if he used it daily which he did not.

I heard on the radio that Daschle had not just avoided paying the taxes, but actually did not report the income those taxes were based on. That is tax evasion. He should be charged and perp walked in front of the cameras for that...

but isn't that why the taxes weren't paid, cuz the gift was not declared?

not sure on tax evasion, irs usually gives everyone a chance to pay them...before going in to a charge and trial....THANK GOODNESS of that!

The man was in a differnt tax bracket than he had ever been in and made a couple of typical mistakes that a person who is in this situation makes.
he owned up and paid the tax to an even higher extent than reguired.
He paid taxes on the limo as if he used it daily which he did not.
You don't get it do ya'? This is typical Dem hypocracy. Libs love big government but, "Surprise Surprise!", don't wanna' ever pay for it. His attitude is typical of what all you libs won't admit: You hate taxes too.

I'm just disappointed that I don't get to refer to him as "Dasch-Hole" for the next four years.

Forum List

Back