Tolerance of "homophobia"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Flying Duck, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Flying Duck

Flying Duck Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    It seems as though those on the pro-gay side often make the case that homosexuality is somehow genetically predisposed or, for some other reason, innate. The argument being that they "were born that way" and can't help it.

Now, if we turn the tables, could it not also be that those who are averse to homosexuality are "born that way?" Shouldn't gays be tolerant of their views as well?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally feel a strong innate aversion to homosexuality. Seeing gays make out in public or thinking of the acts in which they engage I find innately offensive and unnatural. Where is the tolerance for the way I was born? Why am I labeled with the pejroative PC term homophobic because I have a natural aversion to homosexual acts? Why should I be made to feel guilty for this?

Personally, if people want to engage in perverse sexual acts and support/promote gay behavior, that's their business, but I think I should have the right to follow my natural instincts and voice my opinion without being labeled a bigot or intolerant.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    perhaps they should be labelled homophobphobic? :)

3. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The whole term 'homophobic' is BS, anyway. It's a word they slap onto anyone who opposes their views because slapping said term portrays them as bigots and discredits their arguments. It's also a BS term to begin with. I'm not "afraid" of homosexuals. I just think that what they're doing is vile and sinful.

Hey, whatever happened to Matts, anyway? Is he still here?

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It seems that we have to have respect for every view that is out of the norm now days. We cannot pray in our public school, because it may offend someone, but yet a muslim can come to school with their 'head wrap' on, and that is not supposed to offend me.

We are supposed to respect and be okay with a homosexual making out in public, but I cannot pray in public, because it will offend someone. We cannot post the ten commandments because it will offend someone.

What ever happened to the rights and respect for the Christian, the straight man, the way I see it, the norm. It seems we are supposed to just give way to all of these views that go against what is considered the norm, while the norm just gives up the idea of receiving respect back.

I agree. I am not a homosexual and I don't agree with homosexuality, I think its disgusting, but I cannot help it, I was just born that way, so respect that.

Just ask John Edwards daughter, who is straight, she will tell you she is just being who she is, how she was born.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    This is a intresting topic I think homosexuals should have the right to do about thier business, although seeing two males kiss makes me shiver in disgust. This is a good point but good luck on trying to say this to politians and for them to impose this in school's, public places, and so on and so on.

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,946
    But that is exactly how the queer's have gained the ground that they have. They have screamed, shouted down, brow beat, intimidated and named called until anyone and everyone is scared stiff to stand up and say, "this faggot shit stinks, and it ain't right", (sorry, that's how I say it), and they know it works. People, just for the sake of saving themselves from the brutal, caustic and horrendous retorts of the queers and their supporters, will just say nothing, and that's just the effect the fags wanted. They wanted the good people of the world to shut their mouth's about how sick and perverted their homosexuality really is.

Well, with the advent of the internet, and boards like this, this gives people a new chance to say whatever the hell they want, and if voicing their disgust with fags is what they want to say, then alright, and the queers and their supporters are just going to have to come to grips with the fact that there are still FAR more people out there that think homosexuality is a vile, perverted, sick and disgusting mental illness, and there's nothing they can do to shut us up this time.

7. Joan

Joan Mommy Dearest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Pale - I for one think you are a little full of crap! Have you ever known a homosexual, or just hate them without getting to know them? I don't like the picture of what goes on behind closed doors, but that is no longer my business than what goes on behind your closed doors. I am retiring tomorrow after more than 23 years with the same company. During this time, I have formed great friendships with 3 homorsexual friends, a gay woman, a pakastanian, and horror of horrors a couple of wonderful black women. Now Joyce will probably have a fit when he here'st that there's a couple of Jews thrown in with my friends. There was a time in my life (grammer school) when I was terrified of black people - yes we used the term ****** - and I am ashamed of it to this day. When I am with these women, color does not enter into the picture. We have remained a very close knit group, and their children refer to me as "Aunt Joan" - and I love it! I know our friendship will continue until we are no longer alive, but I dread the thoughts of saying goodbye to some of my other friends, as I'm not sure if our paths may cross again. I think what I'm trying to say, is move beyond your hatred of those that are different and see the people behind the stereotypes - they may just not be as bad as you are making them out to be!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    But homosexuals AREN'T just doing it behind closed doors. They're making demands that we give them special rights, government recognition and so forth. That's when it becomes an issue. As Pat Buchanan said, "The love that once dared not speak its name now won't shut up!"

9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Joan I think you will find that most of us take no issue with the sentiments you express. I personally find homosexual conduct unnatural and disconcerting. But I would have little or nothing to say about it if homsexuals didn't spend much of their time and energy demanding that I accept their conduct as "normal". Now I'm not going to go out and beat up homosexuals. Matter of fact, I won't even offer a verbal insult, but I don't have to accept their conduct or pretend that I think it's normal.

I officiate football for a hobby. I'm on a six man crew and we have been together for years. If one of my crewmates puts an arm around me, or slaps me on the butt, that doesn't bother me. But if one of my crewmates was a homosexual and did the same thing, I wouldn't know if he was being friendly or if he was copping a feel. So I don't hate or despise homosexual men, but I am uncomfortable around them.

Also I really don't have a problem with homosexuals who keep their sex lives private. But when Brucie and Skippy stand on the street corner swapping spit and wearing jeans with the ass cut out of them, they have crossed the line.

10. Joan

Joan Mommy Dearest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Merlin - I think perhaps because I'm viewing these guys from a woman's perspective, I see things different. I guess perhaps I'd feel uncomfortable in a scene with all gay women, not sure. Maybe I'm the nut case around here, but I've found the gay men that I know to be the most caring, nicest guys in the place. And yes, I've gone out socially with them, and the subject of their sexual preference has never been discussed. I have however, seen how they are treated by upper management (the good old boys society) - and I don't think it's fair. One had to cope with the death of his partner (of 18 years) - did any of upper management come to the funeral or at least chip in toward the floral arrangement - hell no! My friendship with these guys goes back to when I was a whole lot younger, and I think one of the reasons I've always felt comfortable with them on a social level as I never had to worry that dinner or drinks would lead to them thinking the next step would be a roll in the sack! (As most men do!) As for them cramming their sexuality down ones throat or forcing us to accept their lifestyle - I have never seen that. Yes, I've heard of the gay pride parades and the like, so maybe you are right. I try to treat all people as they treat me - whether its a homo, a Jew, a black person, or even God Forbid a Muslim (yes I am friendly with one of them). There are so many "average white" people that I would rather not associate with due to the fact of them thinking they are a "cut above" anyone else! Thank you for listening - and good night.