Tolerance? Not for Christians...

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
... Jennifer Keeton, who has sued Augusta State University to keep from getting expelled for not repudiating her statements about homosexuality. Keeton expressed her biblical perspective on the subject in and out of class while working toward a degree in counseling, and the school mandated a “remediation plan” that appears to have required her to renounce her Christian doctrine in order to gain a diploma from the school. The school has responded that a bias against homosexuality would disqualify Keeton from certification, a position that would put most Christians in Keeton’s position.

... It sounds to me like the ACA [AMERICAN COUNSELING ASSOCIATION] wants a “don’t ask, don’t tell” rule for religion. That runs square into the First Amendment, especially for a state-run school. The ACA’s idea of who comes first doesn’t get to trump the restriction on freedom of religious exercise. If clients get off-put by Keeton’s approach to counseling, they can look for another counselor. Now, the ACA can decide not to certify her; as a private organization, they have that prerogative. If they do that explicitly based on her religious belief, however, they may have a problem with that in court, especially as it will block Keeton’s ability to make a living.
The state-run school has no such leeway. They cannot impose a religious test for graduation, no matter how they dress it up.
THE ASTUTE BLOGGERS: JENNIFER KEETON TOSSED OUT OF GRAD SCHOOL BECAUSE
SHE'S A CHRISTIAN - if she was Muslim, then Obama and Holder would be suing on her behalf!

The remediation plan, according to the lawsuit, noted Keeton’s “disagreement in several class discussions and in written assignments with the gay and lesbian ‘lifestyle,’” as well as Keeton’s belief that those “lifestyles” are cases of identity confusion.
Jennifer Keeton ordered to approve of homosexuality or be expelled from grad school | JAMES EDWARDS

Another partisan thread brought to you by Political Chic.

Keep stirrin' it up.

Last edited:
Keeton should have the moral integrity to announce to those whom she insists have chosen homosexuality the exact date or period in her life when she was faced with the choice of sexual orientation and chose heterosexuality. If she won't abide by the recomendations of the American Psychiatric Association what is she doing practicing in this field? Gay conversion therapy is not only against APA guidelines, it has also been found to be psychologically harmful to patients.

I don't understand why she didn't attend a Christian university. Keeton has a right to her views, she shouldn't be imposing them on counseling clients unless she is working for a Christian counseling service whose goal is to convert homosexuals.

Last edited:
Here's what's wrong with quoting bloggers' opinions and not forming your own.

Who am I arguing with? Do you and the blogger share lock-step views on the subject?

Ok, I'll go.

True or False: Not all Christians reject Gays and Lesbians; however, in fact, there exist Gay and Lesbian Christians.

^we can start there.

If you disagree with that statement, then you've lost your mind. If you agree, then she didn't get "tossed out because she's a christian" as your blogger's sensationalized title suggests, she got tossed out for her Gay and Lesb. views (which I think she's been wronged, by the way).

But back to your dishonest political hack blogger: are they willing to state that any Christians going there are booted, or what? I mean, if she was booted for "being Christian," there's none others there then, amiright? Exactly. Another partisan-hack-way to discuss a news story. Hi, I'm honesty! Try me!

God forbid this future counselor would have to take sensitivity training. That's what she is objecting to. The university follows the American Counseling Associatioin Code of Ethics. This student is unwilling to follow those guidelines.

Last edited:

Keep stirrin' it up.

Partisan?

What kind of one-sided, half-witted, partisan objects to exposing the inequities of your side as some sort of defense?

"Oh, no...you're so naughty for exposing the intolerance of the left!!"

Wake up- Sky- you should have posted this OP if you stand for tolerance and/or justice.

Last edited:

I don't care that you didn't see my thread since the title was so crappy, I just didn't want you expending lots of energy when there is already 50 pages of discussion.

also, it actually turned into a really good thread, with probably 95% of posts begin civil and inspiring good debate.

if you want to read through them yourself thats fine or if you want I can pm you the ideas from both sides of the debate

Keep stirrin' it up.

Partisan?

What kind of one-sided, half-witted, partisan objects to exposing the inequities of your said as some sort of defense?

Wake up- Sky- you should have posted this OP if you stand for tolerance and/or justice.

Wake up yourself. Your only interest is in stirring up division. Let's get Christians and gays to fight, what fun. NOT. This student is unwilling to comply with the terms of her program. Period. She is unwilling to go with the American Psychiatric Association guidelines for counseling.

Homosexuality is no longer considered a disorder.

This student is out of line.

Last edited:

Keep stirrin' it up.

Partisan?

What kind of one-sided, half-witted, partisan objects to exposing the inequities of your said as some sort of defense?

Wake up yourself. Your only interest is in stirring up division. Let's get Christians and gays to fight, what fun. NOT. This student is unwilling to comply with the terms of her program.

How is the university not 'stirring up division' by trying to refuse the credentials of an education that they were paid for? Where is their tolerance for her views? I also believe from reading the other thread on this that she stated that she wouldn't force her personal views while working as a councelor?

Keep stirrin' it up.

Partisan?

Wake up yourself. Your only interest is in stirring up division. Let's get Christians and gays to fight, what fun. NOT. This student is unwilling to comply with the terms of her program. Period. She is unwilling to go with the American Psychiatric Association guidelines for counseling.

You stated above that it wasn't a choice either, so how do you see it then?

God forbid this future counselor would have to take sensitivity training. That's what she is objecting to. The university follows the American Counseling Associatioin Code of Ethics. This student is unwilling to follow those guidelines.

See, this is what I mean about your political view being a religious fervor, into which reason doesn't enter...

There is no way you can see that this is thougth-control of thought crimes.

If the state can censor this young lady's viewpoint, could they do the same, for example if one criticizes Islam?

That is exactly what happens elsewhere in the world:
1. At the end of her life, the Italian writer Oriana Fallaci—after writing of the contradiction between Islam and the Western tradition of liberty—was being sued in France, Italy, Switzerland, and most other European jurisdictions by groups who believed her opinions were not merely offensive, but criminal. https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=08

2. Author Michel Houellebecq was sued by Muslim and other "anti-racist groups" who believed the opinions of a fictional character in one of his novels were likewise criminal.Ibid.

3. Not confined to Europe, Mark Steyn in Canada faced similar thinking: “In Canada, the official complaint about my own so-called "flagrant Islamophobia"—filed by the Canadian Islamic Congress—attributes to me the following "assertions":

'America will be an Islamic Republic by 2040. There will be a break for Muslim prayers during the Super Bowl. There will be a religious police enforcing Islamic norms. The USS Ronald Reagan will be renamed after Osama bin Laden. Females will not be allowed to be cheerleaders. Popular American radio and TV hosts will be replaced by Imams.
In fact, I didn’t "assert" any of these things. They are plot twists I cited in my review of Robert Ferrigno’s novel, "Prayers for the Assassin." ' Ibid.

or

Canada threatens to arrest Coulter because they “put reasonable limits on free speech.”
Canadian University Provost Wants to Send Me to Jail… For a Speech I Haven’t Given Yet - Big Government

Is this the milieu in which you wish to reside?

So, when do you stand up for freedom?

Partisan?

Please tell me that you don't think it has to either be a choice, or a disorder.

I don't care that you didn't see my thread since the title was so crappy, I just didn't want you expending lots of energy when there is already 50 pages of discussion.

also, it actually turned into a really good thread, with probably 95% of posts begin civil and inspiring good debate.

if you want to read through them yourself thats fine or if you want I can pm you the ideas from both sides of the debate

I'll check it out...thanks for your consideration.

Please tell me that you don't think it has to either be a choice, or a disorder.

First tell me what you would consider to be other options.

Do we have to beat this again? Ain't there any new "christians are being picked on" "news items" we can chew on?

I have all the sympathy for discriminated-against christians that I do for discriminated-against white men. When you belong to the majority and some of you engage in bullying, you seem unable to distinquish between respecting others and being in a position to dictate to them.

See, this is what I mean about your political view being a religious fervor, into which reason doesn't enter...

There is no way you can see that this is thougth-control of thought crimes.

If the state can censor this young lady's viewpoint, could they do the same, for example if one criticizes Islam?

That is exactly what happens elsewhere in the world:
1. At the end of her life, the Italian writer Oriana Fallaci—after writing of the contradiction between Islam and the Western tradition of liberty—was being sued in France, Italy, Switzerland, and most other European jurisdictions by groups who believed her opinions were not merely offensive, but criminal. https://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2008&month=08

2. Author Michel Houellebecq was sued by Muslim and other "anti-racist groups" who believed the opinions of a fictional character in one of his novels were likewise criminal.Ibid.

3. Not confined to Europe, Mark Steyn in Canada faced similar thinking: “In Canada, the official complaint about my own so-called "flagrant Islamophobia"—filed by the Canadian Islamic Congress—attributes to me the following "assertions":

'America will be an Islamic Republic by 2040. There will be a break for Muslim prayers during the Super Bowl. There will be a religious police enforcing Islamic norms. The USS Ronald Reagan will be renamed after Osama bin Laden. Females will not be allowed to be cheerleaders. Popular American radio and TV hosts will be replaced by Imams.
In fact, I didn’t "assert" any of these things. They are plot twists I cited in my review of Robert Ferrigno’s novel, "Prayers for the Assassin." ' Ibid.

or

Canada threatens to arrest Coulter because they “put reasonable limits on free speech.”
Canadian University Provost Wants to Send Me to Jail… For a Speech I Haven’t Given Yet - Big Government

Is this the milieu in which you wish to reside?

So, when do you stand up for freedom?

The law suits mean nothing if they weren't won, and the fear-mongering over the US falling under Sharia law is laughable and benign.

Forum List

Back