Tolerance: Allowing people to be who and what they are.

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Foxfyre, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,544
    Driving on the road, however, is not an opinion. It is an act. And when done irresponsibly to the point that it impedes the ability of others to use the road or if it endangers others, it is a bad ACT. Those should be physically and/or materially punished.

But those who think there should be no speed limits, traffic lseat belt laws, or other traffic laws are not forcing anything on anybody. They are expressing an opinion. It might be an ignorant or foolish opinion to some of us, but that is all it is. An opinion. We should be able to agree or disagree with it at will. But a tolerant society would not try to physically and/or materially hurt somebody for no other reason than he or she expressed it.

2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,544
    Agreed. GLAAD had every right to be offended, to rebut anything Robertson said, and to choose, as an organization, to boycott A&E or any of Robertson's advertisers and to inform A&E and the advertisers that they were doing so and why. But in my opinion, that is as far as they can go without becoming far more intolerant than Robertson has ever been about anything. To try to materially and physically harm Robertson was a bad ACT because Robertson committed no bad ACT. To try to demand that others materially and/or physically harm Robertson is a bad ACT. And to do bad ACTS should not be socially acceptable to any of us.

I want to change our culture so that we all will choose tolerance over bad ACTS.

And it is also my opinion that if GLAAD did choose to be offended, issue a rebuttal, and choose as an organization to boycott A&E etc., that makes them rather immature, thin skinned, hateful. intolerant, mean spirited, and hypocritical, most especially since they demand tolerance for who and what they are. And it should also be my right to express that opinion without fear that some angry mob, group, or organization will come after me to hurt me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,544
    Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on that Montro. You obviously do not want to agree with it--obviously' DON'T agree with it--but I have studied the founding documents sufficiently to be pretty secure that I'm on solid footing with my opinions about that. But rest assured, I will not be organizing an angry mob, group, or gearing up an organization to come after you to punish you or silence you just because I think you've got that wrong. :) And I would still enjoy having a cup of coffee with you.

4. BillyZane

BillyZane BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I agree 100% we should differentiate between voicing an opinion and acting on that opinion.

For instance, if I were to opine that all blacks are stupid and thus unworthy of humane treatment, hey I have that right, but if I ACT on that opinion, then I've crossed the line.

I don't opine that all blacks are stupid

5. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,544
    That's a good example. I don't know how many people here at USMB say they can't stand and won't tolerate racists. But do they really think they'll change the heart and mind of that racist by neg repping him, putting him on ignore, reporting him, yadda yadda for nothing worse than stating a racist opinion? Or do they increase the toxic environment at USMB and foster more food fights and flaming and just feed the justification that the racist uses for his/her racism?

My mother, rest her soul, would never be discourteous, unkind, or unpleasant to any person just because that person was of a different race. She worked for Don Perkins in the State of New Mexico government and worked side by side with and supervised black employees who she treated like family. She would be absolutely livid if anybody accused her or suggested that she was prejudiced or racist in any way. She honestly believed she was not. But she was a product of her culture--the depression era and the WWII generation--and every once in awhile she would come with a incredible one liner like: "Have you noticed that as the 'nigras'--that's as politically correct as she ever got :)--. . .that as the 'nigras' get more education, their skin is getting lighter?" And she wouldn't notice me slinking silently into the floor. She honestly could not see anything wrong with that.

But there are some here who, instead of just shaking their heads, smiling, and moving on, would be outraged and immediately brand my mother as a hateful, bigoted, stupid racist. And, if she was a nationally known personality, would organize a campaign to hurt her.

Tolerance--real, freedom loving, freeing tolerance--allows people to be wrong when they are hurting absolutely nobody.

6. hunarcy

hunarcy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,380

We have freedom of association for a reason. We don't have to associate with those who we don't approve or agree. We merely have to tolerate them and do no harm.

7. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,544
    Exactly. We don't even have to be quiet about it if we don't approve or agree with their opinions. But when there are no bad ACTS involved, I want America to be a culture that respects a person's right to be wrong and does not seek to punish him/her for no other reason than a crappy opinion.

8. BlackSand

BlackSand Nobody Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,135
    True Respect can never be expected or demanded, only desired and earned ... Honor is a gift you give yourself.
    Never try to be better than someone else ... Always try to be better than yourself.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. hunarcy

hunarcy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Well said. :clap2::clap2: