Todays rant : you should be tried as an accomplice

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
I've had it. Ok here it is. If I hear this story and ones like it anymore I'm going to fly.

"I can't believe it, look at that guy, he's driving a nicer car than me, and he's on assisstance."

"There is nothing wrong with his back, he's collecting workmans comp for nothing, he gets around just fine."

"She's just popping those kids out to get more money from the state."

"I live next to 'Bob' and he collects SSI, there isn't anything wrong with him though and he should be out working."

Look, if you believe that these people are defrauding the state you have an obligation to turn them in. If you don't have any evidence that they are defrauding the state you need to be quiet then. If all you are going to do is complain about it and you know for a fact that they are committing fraud you are worse than they are and should be tried as an accomplice.

Good luck in turning them in. Face the facts: some people are protected in America. They are part of an entitlement class and they cannot be touched.

I've had it. Ok here it is. If I hear this story and ones like it anymore I'm going to fly.

"I can't believe it, look at that guy, he's driving a nicer car than me, and he's on assisstance."

"There is nothing wrong with his back, he's collecting workmans comp for nothing, he gets around just fine."

"She's just popping those kids out to get more money from the state."

"I live next to 'Bob' and he collects SSI, there isn't anything wrong with him though and he should be out working."

Look, if you believe that these people are defrauding the state you have an obligation to turn them in. If you don't have any evidence that they are defrauding the state you need to be quiet then. If all you are going to do is complain about it and you know for a fact that they are committing fraud you are worse than they are and should be tried as an accomplice.

To justify their callousness and hide the avarice which motivates many on the right a scapegoat is needed. The poor, the infirm, unions, public employees, all Muslims, anyone left of Pat Buchanan are popular targets. The simple argument works best for these simple people; finding a scapegoat to hate and vilify is much easier then defining a problem and seeking a solution.

Good luck in turning them in. Face the facts: some people are protected in America. They are part of an entitlement class and they cannot be touched.

Do you have some examples, X-1? This kind of statement is taken as fact because we're all certain we've seen it or know someone whose seen it firsthand, but is there a class out there who is considered "disabled" just because they belong to the 'class' that they do?

I mean, of course, a class other than 'aged'. Folks over 65 get SSI if they can prove that they receive less than about $700 a month from other sources, and I think the system is pretty tight about resource and income proof.

The other thing to remember is that the 'Safety net Programs', which include SSI, earned-income and child tax credits, unemployment insurance and various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income families and individuals, including food stamps, school meals, low-income housing assistance, child-care assistance, and assistance in meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children is less than 15% of the federal budget.
Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Even if we eliminate the safety net, we barely put a dent into the spending problem and we have to put up with a bunch of disabled beggars looking sadly into their tin-cups while vying for the best place to squat on the curb. To me it's more than worth it.

The o/p is correct in that fraud known and ignored is tantamount to accomplice theft from everyone who pays taxes, but there is no fucking way to get out of the trouble we're in by eliminating just the fraud.

Do you have some examples, X-1? This kind of statement is taken as fact because we're all certain we've seen it or know someone whose seen it firsthand, but is there a class out there who is considered "disabled" just because they belong to the 'class' that they do?

I mean, of course, a class other than 'aged'. Folks over 65 get SSI if they can prove that they receive less than about $700 a month from other sources, and I think the system is pretty tight about resource and income proof.

The other thing to remember is that the 'Safety net Programs', which include SSI, earned-income and child tax credits, unemployment insurance and various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income families and individuals, including food stamps, school meals, low-income housing assistance, child-care assistance, and assistance in meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children is less than 15% of the federal budget.
Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Even if we eliminate the safety net, we barely put a dent into the spending problem and we have to put up with a bunch of disabled beggars looking sadly into their tin-cups while vying for the best place to squat on the curb. To me it's more than worth it.

The o/p is correct in that fraud known and ignored is tantamount to accomplice theft from everyone who pays taxes, but there is no fucking way to get out of the trouble we're in by eliminating just the fraud.

There was a recent thread about this. Here's a link:

Dailymotion - Freeloaders with John Stossel (1of3) - a News & Politics video

Again, if you're a member of an entitlement class, whether it's a corporation in bed with the politicians, a minority, a homosexual, etc., you can't be touched. But that's just human nature, so what are you going to do. I know! Free markets, honest legal system, honest government!

That seems to depend on whether they're collecting from the Government or from a Private Company.

The company I work for has taken to having PI's watching some of the people who are out on disability. They confronted a female employee from our Operations group after she got caught moving furniture from her house while on "Light Duty" at work and gave her the option to quit or be fired.

There was a recent thread about this. Here's a link:

Dailymotion - Freeloaders with John Stossel (1of3) - a News & Politics video

Again, if you're a member of an entitlement class, whether it's a corporation in bed with the politicians, a minority, a homosexual, etc., you can't be touched. But that's just human nature, so what are you going to do. I know! Free markets, honest legal system, honest government!

Thanks for that link - kind of eye opening, but it goes SO far beyond the safety-net programs. The opening credits include teasers about the super-rich using tax-payer dollars to build the infrastructure that makes them wealthy and celebrities getting lots of free stuff. The opening story is about book called "Sponging off People you Love".

I'll stand by my post - I think fraud in the safety net is an insignificant problem compared to the corporate freeloaders and the political leaders on their payroll.

Forum List

Back