todays observation : the almighty "LINK"

What do you think of "Links" overall?

• yes, I like links. I provide and require them.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, I don't like links. I never read them or provide them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes I like the links, depends on the OP or topic

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Don't care one way or another

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spectrumc01

I give you....the TRUTH
Feb 9, 2011
The United States
What is the point of providing a link to a suposed fact?

A thread is started and the OP makes a statement or observation. The responder asks for a link to back up the OP's claim. The OP then provides one. The responder than not only disputes the OP but then also attacks the link. The link is not a credible source as it is from a news agency not recognized by the responder. The link is not credible due to partisan athorship. The link is not credible because because another link has been found that disputes the original link. The link is not believed because the responder just doesn't like what the link has to say. So the OP has spent all this time searching the web to find a link that no one will believe anyway. Links = waste of time.

agree / disagree

A thread is started and the OP makes a statement or observation. The responder asks for a link to back up the OP's claim. The OP then provides one. The responder than not only disputes the OP but then also attacks the link. The link is not a credible source as it is from a news agency not recognized by the responder. The link is not credible due to partisan athorship. The link is not credible because because another link has been found that disputes the original link. The link is not believed because the responder just doesn't like what the link has to say. So the OP has spent all this time searching the web to find a link that no one will believe anyway. Links = waste of time.

agree / disagree

Simply not true. IF the link is credible one can not dispute it. But what you might complain about is the penchant for the liberals here to lie and when caught demand a link to cover their lies. usually from a previous post in another thread or several threads.

USCitizen and truthmatters are past masters of simply claiming what they obviously said simple is not what you actually understand it to be.

agree / disagree

I do not agree that sources are a waste of time. And there is nothing wrong with having facts. If we didn't use our resources, I could have taught you the sky was yellow, not have to back up my claim, and you would have flunked that test.
When two sources refute each other, then we have a problem.

I like 'em if the poster uses them to expand on their point but a link is often provided just for credibility purposes, and often doesn't even validate the POV of the provider when carefully read. But then in my experience linked materials are often NOT carefully read.

Like 'em or not, some links are a REQUIREMENT here at USMB.

USMB Rules & Regs LINKED BELOW said:
Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material. Link Each Copy and Paste.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/47455-usmb-rules-and-regulations.html

Links are a tool. Use them wisely and try not to cut your fingers off.

Copyright Guidelines:
Copyright infringement is illegal. USmessageboard.com will enforce the law. Never post an article in its entirety. When posting copyrighted material, please use small sections or link to the article. When posting copyrighted material you MUST give credit to the author in your post. You are responsible for including links/credit, regardless of how you originally came across the material. Link Each Copy and Paste.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/announcements-and-feedback/47455-usmb-rules-and-regulations.html

Are we saying that the only reason for links is to cover our legal a$$?

agree / disagree

I do not agree that sources are a waste of time. And there is nothing wrong with having facts. If we didn't use our resources, I could have taught you the sky was yellow, not have to back up my claim, and you would have flunked that test.
When two sources refute each other, then we have a problem.

When two sources refute each other you don't have a problem, you have an opportunity to make an informed decision. Just 'cause there's work involved doesn't make it a problem. The best opinions I have came from, or with, refuted information.

Best example off the top of my head: Religion.

7485852e-2584-4657-ab3c-782ef6fe5b86.jpg

If someone is stating fact, not opinion, I like to see a link.

Partially b/c many sources are just whacky. And I like to know that I'm not being sucked in by one of the people on my side into thinking something that some hack site produced with a heavy dose of opinion.

I always provide links unless I'm telling a joke or just making shit up, as a running joke.

Copyright Guidelines:

Are we saying that the only reason for links is to cover our legal a$$?

Absolutely not. That is just ONE reason to pull 'linking' out of the old tool box and use it.

Other reasons include, but are not limited to:
-Backing up a point.
-A civil request from another member.
-Entertainment.
-It's a tool - use your imagination and get creative.​

Click on the link in my post and you can also get information on links that are NEVER allowed, such as those leading to obscene material.

You're the human - make a decision. The worst thing that can happen is you'll get called on that decision and then you can say you learned something.

Link?

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 1/2 pounds turtle meat, cut into medium dice*
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
2 medium onions, cut into medium dice
6 stalks celery, cut into medium dice
30 cloves garlic, minced
3 bell peppers, cut into medium dice
1 tablespoon dried thyme, ground
1 tablespoon dried oregano, ground
4 bay leaves
2 quarts veal stock
1 cup all-purpose flour
26 ounces dry sherry (750-ml bottle)
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 large lemons, juiced
3 cups peeled, chopped, and seeded tomatoes
10 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, washed 3 times, and roughly chopped
6 medium hard-boiled eggs, chopped into large pieces
Directions
*Cook's Note: We use alligator snapping turtles, which are a farm-raised fresh water species available all year long. Turtle meat usually comes in 2 1/2-pound portions.

In a large soup pot over medium to high heat, melt 1/2 stick butter. Add turtle meat and brown. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cook for about 18 to 20 minutes or until liquid is almost dry. Add onions, celery, garlic, and peppers, constantly stirring. Add thyme, oregano, and bay leaves and saute for about 22 minutes**. Add stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim any fat that comes to the top.

While stock is simmering, make the roux. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Slowly add flour, a little at a time, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to burn. After all of the flour has been added, cook until roux smells nutty, is pale in color, and has a consistency of wet sand, about 3 minutes. Set aside to let cool until soup is ready (roux should be cool when adding to hot soup).

Using a whisk, stir the roux into the stock vigorously, adding a little at a time to prevent lumping. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking on bottom. Add sherry and bring to a boil. Add hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer and skim any fat or foam that comes to top. Add lemon juice and tomatoes and return to a simmer. Add spinach and eggs, return to a simmer and adjust seasoning.

**Cook's Note: Caramelizing vegetables and meats very will to get the dark color you are looking for.

***Cook's Note: This is like a stew, eaten as a main dish. This soup freezes well.

Turtle Soup Recipe : : Food Network

Forum List

Back