Today's DYI project, Washing Machine Bearings...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
First time doing an appliance repair...Angel and I broke the machine down in about an hour and a half. Now the hard part...removing the transmission ans the bearings. Wish us luck.

IMAG0611_zps5cbdf45d.jpg

IMAG0610_zps63187fda.jpg

My system to keep track of parts...I also draw pictures diagrams and lists of things that I'm likely to forget, for example with this reassembly I have a note that says "REMEMBER, the wiring harness must attach BEFORE the motor is reinstalled."

IMAG0612_zps4ea4f0aa.jpg

I'll tell you what, this wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

We broke the washer down as far as it would go, found that one of the bearings was indeed seized up, replaced all the bearings and seals and are in the process of reassembly (just waiting on some gasket goo to cure). We could have replaced and part including the transmission.

If you can work on your own car, you can do this project, no sweat.

For what its worth, my stepfather, who could fix anything, always said 'fix dryers, replace washers'.

Good luck.

Thanks L.N.

We looked an new ones, and read reviews...it just seems like our old one (12 years) is so much better constructed than the new ones.

We'll see what happens after it is back together and running for awhile...I'll try not to forget to update this thread.

Last edited:
Success! All back together and working, no leaks, and much quieter.

Had to pull everything out and make an adjustment...went to remount the motor and :eek: ... the holes were missing!

I had put the basket on wrong and the mounting holes were 45 degrees to the right. :lmao: Oops!

But it's done now and working...and that's what counts.

Tomorrow we're going to try to put a new windshield in the Volkswagen.

Last edited:
Seven months and the washer is still working...knock on wood.

New project this week...Franken-tractor!

The piston in the lawn tractor came apart...not worth fixing, a Murray 12.5 hp, so I found a MTD with a stripped tranny and an 18 hp twin cylinder that would easily swap over...no sweat, about an hours worth of work to swap 'em.

Then the trouble revealed itself...the old hood wouldn't fit over the new motor.

Fabrication time! Some angle aluminum, an angle grinder, black Krylon Fusion for plastic and Rust-oleum Sunrise red...and we're back in business.

IMAG0783_zps2f2d8af3.jpg

IMAG0788_zps13c51241.jpg

IMAG0787_zpsdb1f27bd.jpg

Krylon Fusion is awesome.

IMAG0790_zpsaa8b982b.jpg

Pretty decent match...

IMAG0791_zps4b914866.jpg

My one hour swap turned into an all day job, but it is done...:woohoo:
IMAG0793_zps3eec7331.jpg

Franken-tractor is born!

IMAG0792_zpsa16f76c7.jpg

Good job on the washer. I've fixed a few too and you are right about new ones being crap, for the most part. They typically aren't built to last, people want all the gee whiz features. My fancy one went out, part no longer available so I went with a Speed Queen. Made in the US and built like tanks. 10 year warranty on the drive train.

Washer gave up, 19 months later...control board is shot...not worth $200 for the new part, but the bearing repair is still holding up well. :thup:

Good time for it, we got a great deal @ Lowes Black Friday Sale.

Forum List

Back