Today is the 66th anniversary of D-Day. June 6th, 1944…

Ever notice that everybody loves the Second World War?

They're just not starting wars they way they used to.

Even more distrubing we're not ending wars the way we used to, either.

Maybe that's why we still like WWII, so much.

At least we know how that one ended.

I don't know if your point is necessarily true. Perhaps we're desensitized to WWII because of how it was portrayed in the movies by Hollywood. But if you talk to anyone who lived during that time, there's no fondness about it. The veterans I've spoken with treat it as something that had to be done but none of them had any fun memories about it. Most, if not all, hoped that today's generation would never have to experience the same thing.

I don't know if your point is necessarily true. Perhaps we're desensitized to WWII because of how it was portrayed in the movies by Hollywood. But if you talk to anyone who lived during that time, there's no fondness about it. The veterans I've spoken with treat it as something that had to be done but none of them had any fun memories about it. Most, if not all, hoped that today's generation would never have to experience the same thing.

Being almost 60, I knew hundreds of WWII vets. Everybody's dad served when I was a kid. Everybody's Dad served.

Do you know any WWII vets who regret serving their nation in its time of need? I never met one. Not one.

Now can you say the same about any other war since then?

That was my point, amigo.

And for younger people, regardless of their current political affiliation, they can pretty much agree that WWII was a good war.

It is, in fact, America's favorite war.

We knew without a doubt we were the good guys.

And we knew, without a doubt, they were the bad guys.

People like such moral clarity.

Today is the 66th anniversary of D-Day. June 6th, 1944…

I was talking to a brother-in-law of mine whose father landed on Normandy beach on June 6, 1944. He made it, but he suffered PTSD for years. He died fairly young in the 60s. My father was part of the Pacific Theater.

:salute:

And tomorrow, the 67th anniversary...

I got to know an old WWII veteran several years ago. He showed me some gun footage from his P47 that the family had worked for years to get declassified. He strafed the beaches and inlands during the D-Day invasion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back