Today is the 66th anniversary of D-Day. June 6th, 1944…

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010
Today is the 66th anniversary of D-Day. June 6th, 1944…
eisenhower-paratroopers-d-day-550x434.jpg

dday3.jpg

2007-06-06d-day-550x402.jpg

d-day.jpg

D-Day_09_2.jpg

dday2.jpg

dday6-550x437.jpg

Invasion-550x441.jpg

165e7d3e759d79c2627ef6389ffcf010.jpg

To the brave and the bold: RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

On 6 June 1944, during the assault landing on Dog White sector of Omaha Beach as part of the invasion of Normandy, General Norman Cota (assistant CO of the 29th ID) while under heavy machine gun fire, calmly walked towards Maj. Max Schneider, CO of the 5th Ranger Battalion and asked “What outfit is this?”, someone yelled "5th Rangers!". To this, Cota replied “Well, Goddamn it then, Rangers, lead the way!” From this, the Ranger motto ("Rangers lead the way!") was born.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I]YouTube - Normandy Speech: Ceremony Commemorating the 40th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion, D-Day 6/6/84[/ame]

What do you think, are the french having celebrations thanking the Americans for saving their asses?

What do you think, are the french having celebrations thanking the Americans for saving their asses?

Well, yeah, I'm certain D-Day is being observed in France. Having lived there for four years, I feel confident in making that statement.

I'll add that I've visited the Normandy beaches and the rows and rows of white crosses in cemeteries for those lost in the invasion. It's a sobering sight, one I doubt any who've ever seen it would forget.

Salute to those who participated in this history-altering day so long ago!

Well, yeah, I'm certain D-Day is being observed in France. Having lived there for four years, I feel confident in making that statement.

I'll add that I've visited the Normandy beaches and the rows and rows of white crosses in cemeteries for those lost in the invasion. It's a sobering sight, one I doubt any who've ever seen it would forget.

Salute to those who participated in this history-altering day so long ago!
Many of the locals in Normandy adopted graves and still tend to them to this day.

God Bless our wonderful WWII vets.

For that matter, all of our vets, but today... especially those who valiantly fought and died on D-Day.
:salute:

Our best generation

Indeed.

I have an uncle, now 97 years old (and still going strong), who went in as a medic on Omaha Beach.

I have two uncles buried in American Cemeteries in France. Of the six sons of my immigrant grandparents, only one did not serve during WWII - but he was only 13 at the time.

America meant something to Americans and immigrants back in those days.

I had the honor of meeting one of the original paratroopers who parachuted into France on D-Day. When his adult granddaughter found out that I, too, was a paratrooper, she thanked me for my service.

While I accepted her thanks, I told her that her grandfather was the one who volunteered to jump out of an airplane when it was nothing more than someone's bright idea written down on some chalkboard. I jumped out of planes years after it was proven to be a valid concept.

Forum List

Back