Today is St Crispin's Day

Can you state a single fact about St Crispin without quoting Shakespeare's speech?
Uummmmm, can you make me a pair of shoes? Maybe add some bible verses in Gallic?

I don't do shoes
Xoán 11:35 Xesús chorou
Howzabout boots? :dunno:

Check with Anthony Quinn.
51JJFEZQAAL._SX342_.jpg

Isn't that the stupid movie where the Catholic Church liquidates all of its wealth and gives it to the Chinese Communists?

Could be
upload_2018-10-25_12-6-21.png

Commemorating the heroism of the Marines who held Guadalcanal by the skin of their teeth in the dark days of October 1942 makes a lot more sense than celebrating a speech given by a British tyrant in the middle ages.

Commemorating the heroism of the Marines who held Guadalcanal by the skin of their teeth in the dark days of October 1942 makes a lot more sense than celebrating a speech given by a British tyrant in the middle ages.

A British tyrant didn't make that speech. It was written by Shakespeare for his play Henry V.

A British tyrant didn't make that speech. It was written by Shakespeare for his play Henry V.
Still a fat British tyrant though.

Shakespeare was a terrific writer. This was a tremendous speech. There is some evidence that Shakespeare saw military service in the campaigns in the Netherlands . He wrote this like a veteran

Shakespeare was amazing, but the speech has nothing to do with St Crispin.

Shakespeare was a terrific writer. This was a tremendous speech. There is some evidence that Shakespeare saw military service in the campaigns in the Netherlands . He wrote this like a veteran

Shakespeare was amazing, but the speech has nothing to do with St Crispin.
Why on earth should it? A butchery has nothing to do with saintliness. It is on that day. It has nothing to do with saints, or shoes

The Brit's never could get their freedoms right. They had a shot at democracy when King Chuck was beheaded but they chickened out and called his teenage son back from exile to ....please rule us.

RE: Today is St Crispin's Day
※→ BULLDOG, et al,

I have to agree, there is more than just bit of truth to this observation.

Nobody cares about the real St Crispin. The celebration is more a commemoration of the speech in Shakespeare's Henry V
(COMMENT)

I have a BS Degree (The Ohio State). But I learned little about Shakespeare. I do recall an action movie about Theodore Roosevelt which depicted a group of Rough Rider Volunteers and a Machine Gun position manned by some young and educated infantry fighters reciting these words about St Crispin's Day. It was a typical "romanticizing" of war and combat.

I think our friend "Bulldog" is very correct. Most people, who actually "listen" to the words feel a moment, an inspirational moment; and maybe, in the back of their mind, are touched by the word passage that (something to the effect) that → "shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhood cheap whiles any speaks." (In classic contemporary terms -- they had no "ball"). I am an RVN vet; but I was so far in the rear, other soldiers thought I was in the Navy. And every now and then, I feel the pang of guilt and shame that I did not face the elephant.

So, it probably is true that the passage → "we few, we happy few, we band of brothers" → actually belongs to those that risked the ultimate. They probably don't give a thought to the "Battle of Agincourt."

Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:

Forum List

Back