Today is Purim - March 5, 2015

Recipe for Hamentaschen

* 2/3 cup butter or margarine
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup orange juice (the smooth kind, not the pulpy)
* 1 cup white flour
* 1 cup wheat flour (DO NOT substitute white flour! The wheat flour is necessary to achieve the right texture!)
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* Various preserves, fruit butters and/or pie fillings.

Blend butter and sugar thoroughly. Add the egg and blend thoroughly. Add OJ and blend thoroughly. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, alternating white and wheat, blending thoroughly between each. Add the baking powder with the last half cup of flour. Refrigerate batter overnight or at least a few hours. Roll as thin as you can without getting holes in the batter (roll it between two sheets of wax paper lightly dusted with flour for best results). Cut out 3 or 4 inch circles. Put a dollop of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold up the sides to make a triangle, overlapping the sides as much as possible so only a little filling shows through the middle. Squeeze the corners firmly, so they don't come undone while baking. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown but before the filling boils over!

Traditional fillings are poppy seed and prune, but apricot is my favorite. Apple butter, pineapple preserves, and cherry pie filling all work quite well. I usually use Pathmark grocery store brand fruit preserves, and of course the traditional Simon Fischer brand prune lekvar.

The number of cookies this recipe makes depends on the size of your cutting tool and the thickness you roll. I use a 4-1/4 inch cutting tool and roll to a medium thickness, and I get 20-24 cookies out of this recipe.

Source(s):Judaism 101 Purim

for those who do not know-----SHUSHAN PURIM----is tomorrow-----
Friday March 6----starts tonight---end tomorrow night. I am sure
it will be celebrated in all mosques. Peneloooopy need not
celebrate

Just so you know - I'm always one day ahead of you guys because Israel is one day behind - on calendar - which is why it noted in OP American calendar.

Forum List

Back