Today 1/15 on the House floor

Rep. Markey also from MA urged a no vote on the bill due to the lack of support for fisheries, along the same lines as Tierney.

Rep. McClintock seems to still believe that the Sandy bill is full of pork. Where is he getting his information? How does he make his assessment of situations and decisions about actions?
He has probably read it.

Have you? IT [the bill] is chock full of spending that has nothing to do with disaster relief.

So you believe that after this is passed, I do hope it does, that money from this bill is going to be spread all across this country for pork projects? Are you going to be watching or are you going to be moving on to the next 'pork' bill without knowing or caring what you are talking about.
My stance on how legislation should be written, debated, and voted on are well known.

This country is broke. Flat out bankrupt. If we are going to spending money on things that is not the responsibility of the Federal government, then that spending should be strictly limited, and precisely focused.

Adding spending projects to a bill that is ostentatiously for disaster relief is not only wrong, it should be criminal.

IT should also be exposed in the media every half-hour until people realize that this was NOT about disaster relief.

Rep. Cole pointed out a couple times that the House has not been sitting on a bill. They only got the bill from the Senate when it passed there on December 29th.

He has probably read it.

Have you? IT [the bill] is chock full of spending that has nothing to do with disaster relief.

So you believe that after this is passed, I do hope it does, that money from this bill is going to be spread all across this country for pork projects? Are you going to be watching or are you going to be moving on to the next 'pork' bill without knowing or caring what you are talking about.
My stance on how legislation should be written, debated, and voted on are well known.

This country is broke. Flat out bankrupt. If we are going to spending money on things that is not the responsibility of the Federal government, then that spending should be strictly limited, and precisely focused.

Adding spending projects to a bill that is ostentatiously for disaster relief is not only wrong, it should be criminal.

IT should also be exposed in the media every half-hour until people realize that this was NOT about disaster relief.

Do you believe HR 152 does not pertain to Sandy disaster relief because it is worded with too much ambiguity? (See, I got that work right. :tongue:)

Article I, Section 8, Clause 5: The Congress shall have Power…To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

Article I, Section 10, Clause 1: No State shall…coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debt.

:eusa_shifty:

They may as well throw the thing out. It's been molested to the point of being essentially void.

As you can see, the gold and silver restriction is on the states, not the federal government.

Nor is it a limitation on what states may use to pay their debts. They can use the federal legal tender OR they may use their own legal tender, but it must be gold and silver.

he doesn't need any help understanding the constitution

apparently, he was there when it was written.

i dunno, del. i think he could use all the help he can get. reading clearly isn't his thing.

This bill seems to be getting practically no news attention. Looks like it got its three minutes of fame last time.

I am watching the live coverage. Looks like they are wrapping up the last of the amendments. I believe there was 51 amendments to be voted on.

The $17B has passed. The other $33.7B is contained in one of the amendments which I believe is scheduled to be voted on last.

Looks like according to Amendment 14, section 4 the debt ceiling has to be raised.

Once again for the truly slow and very stupid.... Running Government programs and the actual Government is NOT DEBT. The 14th means actual debt like social security bonds and also demands they pay retirees. There is more then enough revenue to pay the interest on the debt and social security and retirees.

Looks like according to Amendment 14, section 4 the debt ceiling has to be raised.

Once again for the truly slow and very stupid.... Running Government programs and the actual Government is NOT DEBT. The 14th means actual debt like social security bonds and also demands they pay retirees. There is more then enough revenue to pay the interest on the debt and social security and retirees.

The applicable wording in Amendment 14, section 4:
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.

The 'including' part is in addition to the other part referred to so the base of the sentence is:
The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law shall not be questioned.
'Public debt authorized by law' is anything congress has agree to pay for but has not yet done so. That would be the national debt I believe.

The Sandy relief bill just passed. $50.7B plus or minus a little depending on other amendments also passed.

There is a final passage vote right now which basically wraps everything up and puts a bow on it.

Congratulations House. 2 for 2

I wonder if anyone is going to get in front of a camera. I hope so.

Senate still has to pass it. It will be next week before they vote on it. Being basically the same bill they passed on Dec. 29th, minus a little here and there, it should pass easily.

New Topics

Forum List

Back