To what purpose?

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
in my faith we recite the Apostle's Creed. It says, in part, Christ was crucified, dead and buried. He descended into hell.

My question is; why did He descend into hell? What was the purpose?

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

Not Christian but i would surmise it to say that he was said to have done so to show evidence to all that he had come and died for their sins. Big pardon me thinks...not for all..but for the righteous as the prophecy had been fulfilled.

Not Christian but i would surmise it to say that he was said to have done so to show evidence to all that he had come and died for their sins. Big pardon me thinks...not for all..but for the righteous as the prophecy had been fulfilled.
One of my conceptions of hell is that it is a place devoid of the love and grace of God.

One of my conceptions of hell is that it is a place devoid of the love and grace of God.
It is.

in my faith we recite the Apostle's Creed. It says, in part, Christ was crucified, dead and buried. He descended into hell.

The reason he had to be crucified and die was to nullify Satan's power.

Long ago before God created man and woman, Satan was once one of God's favored angels. Unfortunately, Satan developed pride and led one third of the other angels in a revolt against Heaven. At some point in time, God created man and woman. He created us in His image and loved us more than he did His own angels. That is evident because even though we being God's creation are so loved of Him that we can be forgiven, there is absolutely no forgiveness for those angels who followed Satan in his rebellion.

Satan in his pride temped Eve in the Garden and the result was she and Adam disobeying God's commandment to not eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Their disobedience was the result of every horrible thing we have seen happen to mankind since then.

Now during those times, mankind was living under Judaic or Mosaic Law. The only way to redeem oneself was the adherence to the scriptures and by good works. Unfortunately even after God's wrath destroyed the entire world with the great flood and by smiting and smoting, mankind still fell under the sway of the Devil.

Because God still loved his disobedient creation, He decided to make an appearance here on earth, in human form, That form being our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In order to defeat Satan once and for all, that person must be born of carnal birth, which is why He chose Mary to conceive His child.

In order to defeat Satan and to gain redemption of mankind, Jesus had to die on the cross. To make a long story short, during the two or three day Jesus was dead, he descended into Hell. He had previously beaten Satan while He was tempted in the desert but while He was in Hell, he beat Satan once and for all. There was probably a fierce battle but in the end, He snatched away the keys of Hell and death from the Deceiver. This is written in Revelation 1:18: “I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.”

Paul also writes in1 Corinthians 15:54-55: “So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?”

It also says in 1 Cor.15:26, “the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” Because Jesus conquered death, he now holds the keys of death

Perhaps the idea that Christ went to hell is taken from the following verse where it states that he preached unto the spirits in prison

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

During the time that Christ's body lay in the tomb, his spirit went to those who are in the world of spirits awaiting the resurrection. A revelation given to the prophet Joseph F Smith reveals where exactly Christ went from the time he was crucified until the time of his resurrection.

Doctrine and Covenants 138

Jesus went among the spirits of the dead and organized the righteous dead to go among those who were wicked in this life and those who never had a chance to hear the gospel and preach to those in spirit prison. Until the day of resurrection the disembodied spirits of the dead have a chance to still receive and accept the gospel. As a spirit, they are not able to have baptism and other ordinances performed on them personally. For this reason the ordinances performed in the temples of God by the living for the dead are performed, baptism for the dead being one of those ordinances. The Apostle Paul understood this principle and for this reason taught regarding baptism for the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:29
29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

In all his fairness, the Lord will give all mankind a chance to receive and accept his gospel before they stand before him in judgment.

Last edited:
Perhaps the idea that Christ went to hell is taken from the following verse where it states that he preached unto the spirits in prison

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

During the time that Christ's body lay in the tomb, his spirit went to those who are in the world of spirits awaiting the resurrection. A revelation given to the prophet Joseph Fielding Smith reveals where exactly Christ went from the time he was crucified until the time of his resurrection.

Doctrine and Covenants 138

Jesus went among the spirits of the dead and organized the righteous dead to go among those who were wicked in this life and those who never had a chance to hear the gospel and preach to those in spirit prison. Until the day of resurrection the disembodied spirits of the dead have a chance to still receive and accept the gospel. As a spirit, they are not able to have baptism and other ordinances performed on them personally. For this reason the ordinances performed in the temples of God by the living for the dead are performed, baptism for the dead being one of those ordinances. The Apostle Paul understood this principle and for this reason taught regarding baptism for the dead.

1 Corinthians 15:29
29 Else what shall they do which are baptized for the dead, if the dead rise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?

In all his fairness, the Lord will give all mankind a chance to receive and accept his gospel before they stand before him in judgment.
Jesus did not go to hell. If he was from the beginning, then he was in the time of Noah.

What the Bible actually says is that as Jesus died, he committed his spirit to the Father (Luke 23:46).

If you read my post more carefully and more especially the link, you would know that I do not believe that Christ actually went to hell. He actually went to the spirits in paradise and organized them to go unto the spirits in prison and teach them the gospel.

Can you show me where it says that in SCRIPTURE?

If you read my post more carefully and more especially the link, you would know that I do not believe that Christ actually went to hell. He actually went to the spirits in paradise and organized them to go unto the spirits in prison and teach them the gospel.
The prison is this earth until the judgement. It is not some mythical hell in the earth, though a LAKE OF FIRE is coming at the end if the age and the wicked will be CONSUMED. This is the Second Death from which there is no resurrection.
Those fallen angels walk the earth. They are called demons.

The prison is a spirit prison where 1 Peter 3:20 tells us that many who were there were those who lived in the days of Noah who were disobedient. Another verse which corroborates it being a place of spirits:

1 Peter 4:6
6 For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Maybe he needed a drink before getting on with the whole 'taking the world's burdens on my shoulders' thing. Have a few beers, some peanuts, shoot some pool, wink at a few chicks. "Hey what are those holes in your hands?" "Mind your business, I'm on vacation". Perhaps he confided in the bartender who could relate, "yeah I know how it is when everyone brings their problems to you. After a while they start wearing on you." "Yeah and you know I was dead for a while. Try that for three days and see how your breath is in the morning."

Forum List

Back